Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2016, 11:30 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,387,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I've never actually said the things you accuse me of, but because you get your feelings hurt by me stating what the Bible says....you project something on me. Wow.
I think you are mistaking me with someone who actually gets their feelings hurt, Viz. You have not hurt my feeling at all. I just enjoy pointing out what you say. Especially when it goes against the very Jesus you worship.

Everyone posting on this thread thinks that is what you meant. You are welcome to try and refute that if that is indeed not what you mean or think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 11:32 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
That's how i see it now too. A facet of high control groups is to elevate God to the most important position in a person's life. God comes before family ties even let alone looking at another human as a human. At first that doesn't sound all that harmful but it is then used to dehumanize people. In my group whatever the corporation says it what God says. They allow another human to tell them what God says and that is the danger. Anyone who doesn't see it that way is then stripped of their humanity until they "repent" and do what they are told to by whatever group this person decides has the right to speak for God. People that catch on that it's BS in the JW religion are labeled "mentally diseased apostates" and hated and shunned by their families. They put the blame of the shunning on the victim and go so far to say it is God's loving discipline. It's very sad but also very fascinating. Sometimes I feel like it is all some really unethical social experiment.

Is what I can't figure out is how people could be caught up in these religions and then see someone else doing the exact same thing that they are and not realize that they are looking in a freaking mirror. The same lies are told over and over and people don't seem to figure out they are falling for the exact same scam as their neighbor. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that they have now dehumanized the outsiders so it doesn't click.

Then I get worried I might be just as dense and I binge watch netflix while eating popcorn.
I find it astounding, that you guys are acting like you get your feelings hurt at someone suggesting that someone may not go to heaven, when we see all of you virtually slapping each other on the back and having virtual group hugs to declare Christianity and specifically those that actually believe the Bible to be a bunch of wackos.

Seriously.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
That's how i see it now too. A facet of high control groups is to elevate God to the most important position in a person's life. God comes before family ties even let alone looking at another human as a human. At first that doesn't sound all that harmful but it is then used to dehumanize people. In my group whatever the corporation says it what God says. They allow another human to tell them what God says and that is the danger. Anyone who doesn't see it that way is then stripped of their humanity until they "repent" and do what they are told to by whatever group this person decides has the right to speak for God. People that catch on that it's BS in the JW religion are labeled "mentally diseased apostates" and hated and shunned by their families. They put the blame of the shunning on the victim and go so far to say it is God's loving discipline. It's very sad but also very fascinating. Sometimes I feel like it is all some really unethical social experiment.

Is what I can't figure out is how people could be caught up in these religions and then see someone else doing the exact same thing that they are and not realize that they are looking in a freaking mirror. The same lies are told over and over and people don't seem to figure out they are falling for the exact same scam as their neighbor. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that they have now dehumanized the outsiders so it doesn't click.

Then I get worried I might be just as dense and I binge watch netflix while eating popcorn.
I am right there with you, L8. People like Vizio use God as a divider, not as something to bring people together. They make it an "us vs them" scenario.

I just find it crazy that people actually think that this God they believe in (with no proof other than a book that has more errors than accuracies) is worth more than their family. I have seen this first hand for my entire 29 years of life, living in the south. I find it crazy, that they are completely okay with people they love being burned and tortured for eternity for a God that claims he loves them. The whole thing is crazy to me.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:38 AM

18,499 posts, read 9,164,949 times
Quote:
Who says that? I've never suggested it.
Lol, the old "where did I say that?" gambit. Yeah, you might not have stated it explicitly, but the implication was clear.

Your implication was the following: the fundamental difference between a black person (to the KKK) and a non-Christian (to you) is this: anyone can become a Christian, whereas a black person cannot become white. Until a person becomes a Christian, they are inherently dangerous/ evil/ incapable of civilized behavior/ cursed/ second-class/ children of the devil.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:43 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,944,451 times
Quote:
I've never actually said the things you accuse me of, but because you get your feelings hurt by me stating what the Bible says....you project something on me. Wow.

Just leave him be Vizio, he is nothing but a bully and probably ignorant of the topic or the forum at hand. I have never seen any intelligent retorts made as they have all been putting one down or making fun of one's belief. I've seen kids act or display more intelligence than than he, oh well there is always the "ignore button", on these type individuals.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Lol, the old "where did I say that?" gambit. Yeah, you might not have stated it explicitly, but the implication was clear.

Your implication was the following: the fundamental difference between a black person (to the KKK) and a non-Christian (to you) is this: anyone can become a Christian, whereas a black person cannot become white. Until a person becomes a Christian, they are inherently dangerous/ evil/ incapable of civilized behavior/ cursed/ second-class/ children of the devil.
Nonsense. I've never suggested that either one is a second-class citizen, nor have I ever suggested that salvation or damnation is based on race, despite the lies you may be suggesting about me.

You've always seemed to be a fairly reasonable fella, but you're kind of going off on the deep end.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Just leave him be Vizio, he is nothing but a bully and probably ignorant of the topic or the forum at hand. I have never seen any intelligent retorts made as they have all been putting one down or making fun of one's belief. I've seen kids act or display more intelligence than than he, oh well there is always the "ignore button", on these type individuals.
Ah yes, the ole "If you can't answer without sounding like a moron, he is an idiot, and you should ignore him" tactic. You guys use this a lot.... This speaks volumes. I would be willing to bet my "intelligence" would be higher than yours on any test you could possibly administer, except MAYBE a Biblical test. Maybe.

I am far from a bully perry. Now those of you who are of the "repent or burn" crowd are the real bullies.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Nonsense. I've never suggested that either one is a second-class citizen, nor have I ever suggested that salvation or damnation is based on race, despite the lies you may be suggesting about me.

You've always seemed to be a fairly reasonable fella, but you're kind of going off on the deep end.
He didn't say that you said it was based on race. Now who is putting words into someone else's mouth?

He was saying, as others have, that your "I didn't say that" mantra rings hollow, much like those KKK members who say they like black people.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
He didn't say that you said it was based on race. Now who is putting words into someone else's mouth?
It's entirely possible that I simply misunderstood him. If that's the case, I apologize to Freak. He's always seemed like a reasonable person and isn't generally one that tends to try to twist my words.

Old 05-25-2016, 12:01 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,944,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
Ah yes, the ole "If you can't answer without sounding like a moron, he is an idiot, and you should ignore him" tactic. You guys use this a lot.... This speaks volumes. I would be willing to bet my "intelligence" would be higher than yours on any test you could possibly administer, except MAYBE a Biblical test. Maybe.

I am far from a bully perry. Now those of you who are of the "repent or burn" crowd are the real bullies.
Now your hurt, which I expected, one can dish it out but they can't take it, a bully indeed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality