Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2016, 12:50 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times

Advertisements

I think the pastor has proven the Peter Principle to be correct.

He's a sad little man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2016, 06:36 AM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
I always thought the whole "Jesus" thing was to get butts in the seats and money in the collection plate. Promoting the idea that no matter what you do, all you have to do is believe that Jesus is God (which isn't true) and you're in for eternity. As the world evolved, people became more sinful, so they had to tweak the rules and we are seeing that again in a big way, the Christian churches accepting and embracing sinful acts to get butts in the seats and money in the collection plates.

That is my summary from my observance for more than 50 years, Christianity, a way to get butts in the seats and money in the collection plates by expanding their embracing the sinful and saying those sins are OK.

Old 05-30-2016, 07:36 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Harry Potter was written as fiction. The New Testament was written as fact.
Based on what supporting evidence? Are we to believe that what was spoken 50-100 years earlier was WRITTEN exactly as it was said?

How can I write a book and quote someone like Woodrow Wilson who is DEAD? When the NT was fabricated, there were not many 1st hand sources still alive.

Old 05-30-2016, 07:38 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
This is an example of an attempt to use fear and guilt to control someone. It's a form of psychological bullying.
Just what Marx said it was.

Old 05-30-2016, 11:46 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,654,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Just curious what everyone thinks Jesus wants us to do and be. This is NOT a question of how you think the visible church is acting today, but I want to know what you believe Jesus commanded the church to be and do.

Are we to just love everyone?

Are we to preach hate?

ARe we to preach something else?

Vizio Your Savior did not have any commands for any church, he never wanted a church or a religion in his name. You see your Savior was nothing but a Jewish teacher, a Rabbi and he brought what he thought were the teachings of his God and Creator to the people that were being neglected by his own religion, the Jews. His teachings were mostly for those of the poor and down and out, the simple people, he was a teacher of the common man. His teachings were completely misconstrued by those who conspired to use them for their own purpose. Christianity was not started by your Savior, but was started by a disciple named Paul over 100 years after the death of your Savior. How can a person who never met an individual who claim to know what that person is thinking and what that person wishes to have done with his teachings. Christianity was originated by someone who had no concept of what your Savior wanted. It's Christianity according to Paul. Your Savior was not a Christian he was a Jew and lived by Jewish law and belief. Another thing, God, Allah, Jehovah, Creator,or whatever name you want to give to the supreme being does not endorse any particular religion, the Creator is not a religious entity, religion in and of itself is an invention by man for the purpose of controlling the masses.

Old 05-30-2016, 11:54 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Vizio Your Savior did not have any commands for any church, he never wanted a church or a religion in his name.

Weird. He told the "church" many things. Including to go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them and teaching them to obey all he commanded. (Matt 28:19-20).

He also talked about the church, and building it (Matt 16:18-19)

You simply stating that he didn't plan for doesn't make it true.
Quote:

You see your Savior was nothing but a Jewish teacher, a Rabbi and he brought what he thought were the teachings of his God and Creator to the people that were being neglected by his own religion, the Jews. His teachings were mostly for those of the poor and down and out, the simple people, he was a teacher of the common man. His teachings were completely misconstrued by those who conspired to use them for their own purpose. Christianity was not started by your Savior, but was started by a disciple named Paul over 100 years after the death of your Savior. How can a person who never met an individual who claim to know what that person is thinking and what that person wishes to have done with his teachings. Christianity was originated by someone who had no concept of what your Savior wanted. It's Christianity according to Paul. Your Savior was not a Christian he was a Jew and lived by Jewish law and belief. Another thing, God, Allah, Jehovah, Creator,or whatever name you want to give to the supreme being does not endorse any particular religion, the Creator is not a religious entity, religion in and of itself is an invention by man for the purpose of controlling the masses.
Weird....because we have it documented that he appeared to Paul, and TOLD him to take the Gospel to the Gentiles.

Again....your hope and wishes that it weren't true isn't really relevant here. You really should bone up on your Bible knowledge a bit, because your ignorance is showing.

Old 05-30-2016, 12:04 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,654,459 times
Quote:
Weird. He told the "church" many things. Including to go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them and teaching them to obey all he commanded. (Matt 28:19-20).

He also talked about the church, and building it (Matt 16:18-19)

You simply stating that he didn't plan for doesn't make it true.

Weird....because we have it documented that he appeared to Paul, and TOLD him to take the Gospel to the Gentiles.

your documentation only appears in your sacred book and you only have Paul's word for that, a man who never knew nor met your Savior..

Again....your hope and wishes that it weren't true isn't really relevant here. You really should bone up on your Bible knowledge a bit, because your ignorance is showing.

I have no hopes and wishes for your Christianity because I am not a believer in your Christianity nor do I care for your sacred book because as far as I'm concerned it was written by many different men who had never met nor had any personal knowledge of your Savior.

Old 05-30-2016, 12:16 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
I have no hopes and wishes for your Christianity because I am not a believer in your Christianity nor do I care for your sacred book because as far as I'm concerned it was written by many different men who had never met nor had any personal knowledge of your Savior.
I fully understand that. I don't take it personally.

Having said that, your understanding of it is simply wrong. I say that not out of any ill will or malice toward you. I pray that God would open your eyes to see the truth of it. You seem like a nice person.

On a side note, you state that my documentation occurs only in my sacred book. You got that wrong. My "book" is actually a collection of 66 different books that all agree with each other. It's not one book written by 1 guy. It's 66 written over a period of about 1500 years by about 40 different people.

Old 05-30-2016, 12:27 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Quote:
What do you base that on? I'm asking for actual documented proof -- like a Bible verse, not just your opinion of what CHristians believe.

That's not what you OP said.

IMO, money and power.

Old 05-30-2016, 12:35 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
I don't think Christianity by itself has a purpose.

Faith/belief in some higher authority seems to have a biological purpose. Any religion is just the natural human tendency to organise things like belief/faith.

Some people would even like to organise non belief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality