Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2016, 05:49 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,047,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Whatever you say, Richard. In any event, you have chosen to reject both of them. You can come to Jesus, your Messiah.
I have not rejected G-d...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 07:21 AM

1,419 posts, read 1,049,144 times
Yes you have.

John 5:36-47 But I have greater witness than that of John: for the works which the Father hath given me to finish, the same works that I do, bear witness of me, that the Father hath sent me. And the Father himself, which hath sent me, hath borne witness of me. Ye have neither heard his voice at any time, nor seen his shape. And ye have not his word abiding in you: for whom he hath sent, him ye believe not. Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.
And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life. I receive not honour from men. But I know you, that ye have not the love of God in you. I am come in my Father's name, and ye receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive. How can ye believe, which receive honour one of another, and seek not the honour that cometh from God only? Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father: there is one that accuseth you, even Moses, in whom ye trust. For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me; for he wrote of me. But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?

Old 05-31-2016, 07:32 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,977,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
They are direct quotes from the Teacher by others. Not His words. There is not a single first person Jesus word in New Testament.
Eusebius, you hopefully understand what I mean when I said "John thinks Jesus said"? Ever heard of idiom?
Jesus said in the New Testament "But I say to you . . . ." Jesus didn't have to sit down and write it Himself for it to be first person.

John never said: "I think Jesus said . . . ."

Old 05-31-2016, 07:35 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,977,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Based on what supporting evidence? Are we to believe that what was spoken 50-100 years earlier was WRITTEN exactly as it was said?
You have no actual, verifiable proof the four accounts were written 50-100 years later.

Quote:
How can I write a book and quote someone like Woodrow Wilson who is DEAD? When the NT was fabricated, there were not many 1st hand sources still alive.
Actually they were alive when the four accounts were written.

Luke 1:1-3 Since, in fact, even many take in hand to compose a narrative concerning the matters of which we are fully assured among ourselves, (2) according as those who, from the beginning coming to be eyewitnesses and deputies of the word, (3) give them over to us, it seems good to me also, having fully followed all accurately from the very first, to write to you consecutively, most mighty Theophilus,

Old 05-31-2016, 08:12 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,661,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Jesus said that without him, NO ONE could come to God. So, yah, it really does. In any event, Richard has been quite vocal in his criticism of Christianity, so please don't think I'm just trying to "pick on" him.

and you know the saying is true because it was written in a book, many things are written in books that are not true and that are basically the opinions of those who have written those books, that doesn't make it right. The quotation from your Savior was written by somebody who quite possibly never heard him speak those words, mere speculation on somebody's part but even so, who's God are you talking about, the God of Christianity or the God of Judaism or the God of Islam or the God of many other different religious beliefs. You know I think Richard has a valid reason for criticizing Christianity, were it not for Judaism Christianity wouldn't exist, that's history.

Actually, I didn't convert to Christianity until I was 20 years old. So it wasn't my whole life.

well if you're over 40 years old that would be more than half your life and by now you are well indoctrinated in the Christian thinking.

[COLOR="navy"]But there is also forgiveness from sin for you, as well. You can also come to the same savior. I'd encourage you to consider Jesus. Not the one that you THINK was responsible for harming your people, but the one that brings forgiveness and love. [/color]

And what sin have I committed? In your mind you seem to think that I am a sinful person because I don't believe in your particular religion but in my mind and belief I am not a sinner, I do not believe the same concept of sin as you do, I believe that everyone should be treated equally and fairly regardless of their station in life or the color of their skin or their particular belief or even their lifestyle. As long as no one does any harm to myself or anyone within my family, they will be treated with respect and fairness.

Good for you. How about if it was written in 66 different books that are inspired by God?
It doesn't make any difference how many books it is written in, it still doesn't make it true.

Old 05-31-2016, 08:25 AM

18,499 posts, read 9,170,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
It doesn't make any difference how many books it is written in, it still doesn't make it true.

Yes.

Nonetheless, Vizio makes heavy use of the Hardy Boys Fallacy.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:13 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
The purpose of Christianity is to control the masses.
Glad you said that. My two pee.. purpose: Get Bums on seats; keep them there.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:16 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:

Nor how many languages it is translated into, nor how many times it is printed nor how many new versions appear. For me, all that was needed was four books, Matthew, Mark, Luke and Johns, read side by side, plus Peter (fragment) Acts and the Epistles to Philemon. That put paid to all the rest.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:48 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times
Quote:

Of course it does. It destroys your statement that it was "in a book", and we shouldn't believe it because you don't believe that book. If it's in 65 other books, it has more credence to it, as they were not simply books that copied off of each other, but each is accredited in its own right, and they written by different authors at different times.

You believe a lot crazier notions, I'm sure, because someone told you something, or because you read it "in a book".

Old 05-31-2016, 09:50 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I have not rejected G-d...
You've rejected Jesus, who is God, and who is your Messiah. You can still come to him, you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality