Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2016, 01:51 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,657,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
9 of the original 13 did. Why do you believe that they'd have intentionally limited themselves?

Religion in the Original 13 Colonies - Under God in the Pledge - ProCon.org

Facts are facts, no matter how you feel about them.

you know I find it interesting that the link that you have provided for the original 13 colonies that show their charters were all prior to the Constitution of the United States. You might also note that after the Constitution was ratified by all 13 states that the different state charters were also in the process of being changed to reflect the laws of the U.S. Constitution
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 01:56 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
you know I find it interesting that the link that you have provided for the original 13 colonies that show their charters were all prior to the Constitution of the United States. You might also note that after the Constitution was ratified by all 13 states that the different state charters were also in the process of being changed to reflect the laws of the U.S. Constitution
You can say that, but look at the length of time the charters lasted. Some were almost 100 years later. Yes, we were founded as a religious nation. No, there was not a national religion, but they never intended for it to be a secular nation.

Old 05-31-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
You can say that, but look at the length of time the charters lasted. Some were almost 100 years later. Yes, we were founded as a religious nation. No, there was not a national religion, but they never intended for it to be a secular nation.
this I will disagree with you on, this was not meant to be a religious nation it was originally meant to be a place of religious toleration which means that the Europeans that came here were fleeing Europe and its religious intolerance and once this country secured its freedom from a monarchy, it was intended to be a secular nation, the U.S. Constitution guarantees that.

as much as I have enjoyed this conversation with you and it has been civilized, I sincerely think that at this point this conversation has gotten totally off-topic, would you not agree?

Old 05-31-2016, 02:10 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
this I will disagree with you on, this was not meant to be a religious nation it was originally meant to be a place of religious toleration which means that the Europeans that came here were fleeing Europe and its religious intolerance and once this country secured its freedom from a monarchy, it was intended to be a secular nation, the U.S. Constitution guarantees that.

I'm not saying otherwise. I'm saying though, that the majority religion here that was practiced was Christianity.
Quote:
and I sincerely think that at this point this conversation has gotten totally off-topic, would you not agree?
Yes, I'll agree whole-heartedly. We probably ought to rein it back in. I'm ok with dropping the discussion from here.

Old 05-31-2016, 02:13 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times
Quote:
In fact, most of the people who settled the United States fled other countries due to being persecuted for their Christian beliefs.

Old 05-31-2016, 02:13 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanokh View Post
Yes you have.

John 5:36-47 But I have greater witness than that of John: for the works which the Father hath given me to finish, the same works that I do, bear witness of me, that the Father hath sent me. And the Father himself, which hath sent me, hath borne witness of me. Ye have neither heard his voice at any time, nor seen his shape. And ye have not his word abiding in you: for whom he hath sent, him ye believe not. Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.
And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life. I receive not honour from men. But I know you, that ye have not the love of God in you. I am come in my Father's name, and ye receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive. How can ye believe, which receive honour one of another, and seek not the honour that cometh from God only? Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father: there is one that accuseth you, even Moses, in whom ye trust. For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me; for he wrote of me. But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?
According to our Tanakh, I have not rejected G-d, but according to our Tanakh, you have...

Old 05-31-2016, 02:14 PM

Quote:
I'm not saying otherwise. I'm saying though, that the majority religion here that was practiced was Christianity.

I think that you are still forgetting that the native people outnumbered the Europeans at that particular time.so Christianity was not the dominant religion in this land at that time.

Yes, I'll agree whole-heartedly. We probably ought to rein it back in. I'm ok with dropping the discussion from here.

perhaps more civilized discussions are in our future.

Old 05-31-2016, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Of course it does. It destroys your statement that it was "in a book", and we shouldn't believe it because you don't believe that book. If it's in 65 other books, it has more credence to it, as they were not simply books that copied off of each other, but each is accredited in its own right, and they written by different authors at different times.

You believe a lot crazier notions, I'm sure, because someone told you something, or because you read it "in a book".
You really lack critical thinking...

Old 05-31-2016, 02:19 PM

Quote:
You've rejected Jesus, who is God, and who is your Messiah. You can still come to him, you know.
No...G-d is G-d...And He is the G-d of Jesus...Your own Jesus said so...

Old 05-31-2016, 02:20 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,137,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
In fact, most of the people who settled the United States fled other countries due to being persecuted for their particular Christian beliefs by other Christians.
there I fixed it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality