Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 07:09 PM

88,576 posts, read 84,777,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
The text really isn't that unclear. It's more often whether or not we want to follow what he said.
I don't think so. We do want to follow what he said, we just aren't good at it and have to start over all the time. What he said most plainly was to love God and love our neighbors. It's easier said than done. We fail at it constantly, so we have to keep working at it.

The parables and some of the other things Jesus said, possibly with humor and/or double meaning, are the things that people discuss and often search for deeper meaning. Of course, we can't do that on here, I've discovered, but in real life, I find it an interesting study.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 08:18 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,597,880 times
Matthew 22:36-40New International Version (NIV)

36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b] 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

KJ21

For even unto this were ye called, because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow His steps.

Jesus loved us, he gave everything to us on behalf of God and ascended. He showed us the way.

Don't harbor anger, reconcile here and now. Love yourself and your neighbors.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:20 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
There is zero evidence for any of those magical places/things after death. There's no reason to think that dying is going to make me know anything. After all, I'll be dead.
::Citation::???

Old 06-01-2016, 08:54 PM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
If you have evidence for magical places after death, I'd love to see it...

Old 06-02-2016, 12:05 AM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
There is zero evidence for any of those magical places/things after death. There's no reason to think that dying is going to make me know anything. After all, I'll be dead.
Quote:
Quote:
If you have evidence for magical places after death, I'd love to see it...
I was referring to the bold. LOL

Old 06-02-2016, 03:04 AM

1,419 posts, read 1,048,295 times
Quote:
If you truly believe that, why are you posting here? Like I said, if this life is all there is, aren't you wasting your time here discussing religion while there are so much more joyous activities available?

Last edited by Chanokh; 06-02-2016 at 03:17 AM..

Old 06-02-2016, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanokh View Post
If you truly believe that, why are you posting here? Like I said, if this life is all there is, aren't you wasting your time here discussing religion while there are so much more joyous activities available?
Refuting BS is a joyous activity. Try it sometime.

Old 06-02-2016, 06:37 AM

Quote:
I was referring to the bold. LOL
Again, if you have evidence that I will remain conscious after death, I'd love to see it.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:53 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,930,564 times
I may have missed the post where someone wise mentioned the Emperor Constantine and his need to unify the Roman Empire around a common belief system. That's what Christianity is: a mashup of the highlights of the myths and folklore from the three or four dominant ethnic tribes under Roman administration. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:02 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,930,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanokh View Post
Obviously Freak gets it. Why do I waste my time in Politics and Other Controversies that is overwhelmingly right wing Conservative? Unlike yourself I get no kick out of regurgitating tired tropes and talking points to like minded sycophants. My mission is to bring enlightenment to the lost. Like the ones in this thread who answer the o.p. from a literal stance. A lifetime is plenty if you use it right. Mozart only had half of one, and he accomplished a lot more than some could manage in two. So did Hendrix. Mendelssohn. Winehouse... must be a musician thing. I am one, as it happens, musicians seem better able than most to be able to work within the limits of a single lifetime and not need the false comfort of an infinite existence to keep them going. Maybe you should take up an instrument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality