Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 02:30 PM

1,419 posts, read 1,048,899 times

Advertisements

Freak this might be new to you, but heaven is not in this life, it's in the afterlife. Jesus Christ, the apostles and the disciples had quite a high rate of accidents, misfortunes, rejection, torture and eventual martyrdom. If that's gonna be your standard, then Christianity is not for you indeed. As for me, I rather suffer in this life and have eternal happiness than the other way around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 02:33 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,167,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanokh View Post
Freak this might be new to you, but heaven is not in this life, it's in the afterlife. Jesus Christ, the apostles and the disciples had quite a high rate of accidents, misfortunes, rejection, torture and eventual martyrdom. If that's gonna be your standard, then Christianity is not for you indeed. As for me, I rather suffer in this life and have eternal happiness than the other way around.
Oh it's not new to me. I was force-fed fundamentalist Christianity since childhood.

You're only repeating the claims of fundamentalist Christianity, you have not yet given anyone a speck of evidence to back up said claims.

Old 06-01-2016, 02:37 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,796,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Other religions don't really care what Jesus said. For the exact same reason that you don't really care what Mohammed or Joseph Smith said.
Of course, but that wasn't the issue. The issue was what liberal vs. conservative Christians say about the path to heaven. Instead of looking at that, it's best to look at what Jesus said.

Old 06-01-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Of course, but that wasn't the issue. The issue was what liberal vs. conservative Christians say about the path to heaven. Instead of looking at that, it's best to look at what Jesus said.
Conservative and liberal Christians don't agree on what Jesus said.

Old 06-01-2016, 02:46 PM

1,419 posts, read 1,048,899 times
Quote:
How is that going to determine anything? Please elaborate so that I may understand.
Death is going to determine who is right or wrong. This side of the grave you won't find the evidence that you want (unless the Bible thingy, but you don't seem interested in that). So after death, if you cease existing, then you won't be conscious of it so that's that. But if you come back as an ant, you might realise you have to put in a better effort this time to upgrade to a cat or something (reincarnation). If you you walk right into heaven where all are accepted and welcome to join, you'll see hitler and buddha, gandhi and King David, then you might see the universalists were right on. Or if you come into a state of purgatory where you have to suffer a bit to be refined for heaven, you know that the Roman Catholics were right and you should've spent a few bucks to not have to stay there for a long time until you get to go to heaven. Or if you enter hell, then you will know this is the truth learned, too late.

Either way, you will know what's the truth in all of this after you die. (unless you cease to exist ofc. - but if that's the case, then who cares anyway - it just means you spent too much time on this forum discussing religion while you could have been doing more joyous activities.)

But unless you will read the Bible as the Word of God (which it is) you won't know it before that time. So like I said, pull up a chair and wait, 50-80-100 years will fly by I can guarantee you. Just put on 'Sittin on the dock of the bay' by Otis Redding to kill the time I guess..

Old 06-01-2016, 02:54 PM

Quote:
So read it for yourself & decide, if that matters to you.

Old 06-01-2016, 05:18 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Or more often, what we think he meant by what he said.

Old 06-01-2016, 05:21 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Or more often, what we think he meant by what he said.
The text really isn't that unclear. It's more often whether or not we want to follow what he said.

Old 06-01-2016, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanokh View Post
Death is going to determine who is right or wrong. This side of the grave you won't find the evidence that you want (unless the Bible thingy, but you don't seem interested in that). So after death, if you cease existing, then you won't be conscious of it so that's that. But if you come back as an ant, you might realise you have to put in a better effort this time to upgrade to a cat or something (reincarnation). If you you walk right into heaven where all are accepted and welcome to join, you'll see hitler and buddha, gandhi and King David, then you might see the universalists were right on. Or if you come into a state of purgatory where you have to suffer a bit to be refined for heaven, you know that the Roman Catholics were right and you should've spent a few bucks to not have to stay there for a long time until you get to go to heaven. Or if you enter hell, then you will know this is the truth learned, too late.

Either way, you will know what's the truth in all of this after you die. (unless you cease to exist ofc. - but if that's the case, then who cares anyway - it just means you spent too much time on this forum discussing religion while you could have been doing more joyous activities.)

But unless you will read the Bible as the Word of God (which it is) you won't know it before that time. So like I said, pull up a chair and wait, 50-80-100 years will fly by I can guarantee you. Just put on 'Sittin on the dock of the bay' by Otis Redding to kill the time I guess..
There is zero evidence for any of those magical places/things after death. There's no reason to think that dying is going to make me know anything. After all, I'll be dead.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
The text really isn't that unclear. It's more often whether or not we want to follow what he said.
Bingo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality