Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2016, 06:43 AM

20,442 posts, read 12,796,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Yeah, that's what many ancient cultures believed. The gods are angry, so we must satisfy them with human sacrifice.
The difference here is that Jesus is God's son, equal in all ways to the Father, creator of all things and over all things. He was not just some fallible human. He was God in flesh. No one has to sacrifice himself; God did that for us. He took our punishment upon Himself. That's different from your scenario.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 07:08 AM

18,499 posts, read 9,167,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
The difference here is that Jesus is God's son, equal in all ways to the Father, creator of all things and over all things. He was not just some fallible human. He was God in flesh. No one has to sacrifice himself; God did that for us. He took our punishment upon Himself. That's different from your scenario.
Oh ok, my mistake. The human sacrifice in Christianity is just more "totally awesome" than regular human sacrifice.

It's nothing like what the ancient Aztecs believed. Not at all. That'd just be a silly comparison.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_sacrifice

"Death is scary! It must be a supernatural punishment from the gods/God! Maybe a human sacrifice can appease God's wrath and allow us to avoid death!" That's Conservative Christianity in a nutshell.

Last edited by Freak80; 06-01-2016 at 07:16 AM..

Old 06-01-2016, 07:33 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,862,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
You have no actual, verifiable proof the four accounts were written 50-100 years later.

Actually they were alive when the four accounts were written.

Luke 1:1-3 Since, in fact, even many take in hand to compose a narrative concerning the matters of which we are fully assured among ourselves, (2) according as those who, from the beginning coming to be eyewitnesses and deputies of the word, (3) give them over to us, it seems good to me also, having fully followed all accurately from the very first, to write to you consecutively, most mighty Theophilus,
Oh good grief Edgar !!!

Quote:
Because God is holy and that holiness must be satisfied. That is why physical death and the shedding of blood was required.
That's the same sort of superstitious ignorance that caused people to throw their own children into volcanoes.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Oh good grief Edgar !!!

That's the same sort of superstitious ignorance that caused people to throw their own children into volcanoes.
Except God did it for us. I'm surprised you and Freak can't see the difference.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:26 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,695,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
As soon as an entity has a need, it is not independent and self-sufficient and therefore is not unbounded, all powerful and all knowing.

The Judeo-Christian narrative that god fawned over humanity as the pinnacle of his creative endeavors and then loves humanity, longs for it, is offended or hurt by it, etc., is a logical disconnect that unwittingly reveals the true nature of all god concepts I've ever seen. Gods are just humans with super-powers. Or special humans (e.g., kings) with super-powers. They are what humans fantasize or wish that they were.

So for all these thousands of years we have been trying to please / avoid displeasing our own ids.
Exactly my point. It calls into question the supposed omnipotence and omniscience of their God.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Exactly my point. It calls into question the supposed omnipotence and omniscience of their God.
Of course, God's "neediness" is something you just made up. No one said God is needy.

Old 06-01-2016, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Except God did it for us. I'm surprised you and Freak can't see the difference.
The difference is trivial. The fact is, you believe that some kind of human/god sacrifice is needed to appease God's wrath. It's superstitious nonsense, on par with people throwing their children into volcanoes to appease local deities.

If you're saying that God needed to sacrifice himself to appease his own wrath, well, that's even creepier and even more bizarre.

Old 06-01-2016, 09:12 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
The difference is trivial. The fact is, you believe that some kind of human/god sacrifice is needed to appease God's wrath. It's superstitious nonsense, on par with people throwing their children into volcanoes to appease local deities.

If you're saying that God needed to sacrifice himself to appease his own wrath, well, that's even creepier and even more bizarre.
Exactly.

Like cutting off his nose to spite his face.

For the life of me, I can't understand why people still believe such inanity.

Old 06-01-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I can't understand why people still believe such inanity.
"Give me a child until he is seven, and I will give you the man." -- Francis Xavier

Old 06-01-2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:

It's not trivial. God is only asking you to believe. You don't have to anything else. He took the punishment for you. That's quite different than asking you to give up your own life or that of a loved one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality