Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 01:48 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
You nicely avoided addressing my points concerning the nature and origin of gods hatred for Esau but I understand your reluctance to do so.

And I also understand your situational ethics and special pleading for god. I first noted this overt phenomenon with Eusebius who claims that god can do evil that good may come of it even while prohibiting that for us. I thought this was unusual but I am starting to see that it is at least implicit and, as here, sometimes explicit, in the thinking of a lot of fundamentalists. Namely that god is not bound by his own moral codes and is not obliged to be a good example of them, even while punishing his children most severely for the very same thing.
When my children were younger they had a bedtime of 8:30. Do you think I adhered to that same bedtime? No--of course not. That was a rule put in place for them--not for me.

Likewise, to suggest that God himself must adhere to the same set of rules that he gives us is silly.

That's what it really comes down to, isn't it? Your'e unwilling to recognize that God does have a right to do what he wants with his creation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2016, 01:52 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,383,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I never claimed it was. But it is inspired by God.

The funny thing is, you're choosing to believe a passage from 1 John, but you're rejecting another NT author, Paul. Both were inspired by the same Holy Spirit.
No, I am pointing out that the bible contradicts itself. If God hates then God is not love. And if God is love, God doesn't hate.

Old 05-30-2016, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
You nicely avoided addressing my points concerning the nature and origin of gods hatred for Esau but I understand your reluctance to do so.

And I also understand your situational ethics and special pleading for god. I first noted this overt phenomenon with Eusebius who claims that god can do evil that good may come of it even while prohibiting that for us. I thought this was unusual but I am starting to see that it is at least implicit and, as here, sometimes explicit, in the thinking of a lot of fundamentalists. Namely that god is not bound by his own moral codes and is not obliged to be a good example of them, even while punishing his children most severely for the very same thing.
And yet this special pleading presents yet another conundrum since it contradicts the biblical injunction to "be perfect as [in the same way that] God is"... i.e. "Don't just do as I say, do as I do."

Old 05-30-2016, 02:58 PM

Quote:
When my children were younger they had a bedtime of 8:30. Do you think I adhered to that same bedtime? No--of course not. That was a rule put in place for them--not for me.

Likewise, to suggest that God himself must adhere to the same set of rules that he gives us is silly.

That's what it really comes down to, isn't it? Your'e unwilling to recognize that God does have a right to do what he wants with his creation.
It's not about adhering to rules. It's about you believing that God acts contrary to God's very nature, which is love, according to your bible.

Old 05-30-2016, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
It's not about adhering to rules. It's about you believing that God acts contrary to God's very nature, which is love, according to your bible.
No. He doesn't. He loves, and he hates. That is, if you actually believe what the Bible says.

Why do you stand on the passage stating that God is love, but you don't stand on the God hates passage? Why pick and choose which one to believe?

Old 05-30-2016, 03:02 PM

Quote:
No. He doesn't. He loves, and he hates. That is, if you actually believe what the Bible says.
Correct. If you actually believe the bible in totality, you must put all reason aside and accept that God acts in ways that are completely contrary to God's very nature.

Old 05-30-2016, 03:04 PM

Quote:

Why do you stand on the passage stating that God is love, but you don't stand on the God hates passage? Why pick and choose which one to believe?
I'm not standing on any passage. You, however, are standing on passages that are floating off in different directions. You are doing the splits.

Old 05-30-2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I'm not standing on any passage. You, however, are standing on passages that are floating off in different directions. You are doing the splits.
Again...I love, and I hate. The 2 are not mutually exclusive. You are standing on the "God is love" to suggest that said verse precludes any other emotion at all. The Bible also states that God is jealous, or that God can be pleased. Do you have a problem with that?

Old 05-30-2016, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Again...I love, and I hate. The 2 are not mutually exclusive. You are standing on the "God is love" to suggest that said verse precludes any other emotion at all. The Bible also states that God is jealous, or that God can be pleased. Do you have a problem with that?
Your own bible, as I mentioned earlier, describes how love behaves and hate is not part of that description. Your own bible says that love is not jealous, so you have discovered yet another bible self-contradiction. Going to ignore that, too?

Old 05-30-2016, 03:20 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Well, the bible god is certainly hateful. His bullying behaviour (to put it mildly) is evidence of a self-esteem issue. So, I think he very likely hates himself and everything and everyone he comes into contact with, pretty much.

I'm very grateful the bible god is simply a product of primitive men's feverish imaginations.
I don't understand how they can't connect the dots. The bible god looks just like a human because humans wrote the bible. It aint that hard. hey, I heard that trout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality