Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 02:46 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
How do you know? Because it fits your narrative?
Exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 02:51 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
How do you know? Because it fits your narrative?
I would encourage you to consult some good scholars that know the biblical languages. Consult any Bible dictionary and see what it says.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:38 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
The biblical God has all of the characteristics of an
abusive parent or spouse.
Don't forget mass murderer.

Quote:
'' If God hates then God is not love. And if God is love,
God doesn't hate." -Pleroo
Brilliant.
What is so difficult to understand about this...this cancels out so many nutty stories made up about the God of the Bible.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:00 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Sin is the rebellion against him.
Sin is missing the mark;
forgetting who we are, where we came from and that we are part and parcel of ...
the One, the Eternal Spirit, the Infinite One, the Divine, our Creator, the Parter of Seas,
The Maker of Universes, the All That Is.

Forgetting or being stupid does not instill hatred in our Father....sorry...it doesn't, no matter
how far away we go from being aware of Him (who has no gender) and His Purity.

Anyone that has been imbued with a direct experience of the Divine, knows this.
Words from others, then mean nothing.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:26 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
No, I am pointing out that the bible contradicts itself. If God hates then God is not love. And if God is love, God doesn't hate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Brilliant.
What is so difficult to understand about this...this cancels out so many nutty stories made up about the God of the Bible.
Amen. Fundies do NOT use reason or logic or any other method in an attempt to test the Spirit of anything in the Bible because they accept it, contradictions, inconsistencies, barbarity, and all, unthinkingly and blindly. It is no wonder they and so many they lead fall into the same pit of ancient ignorance and superstition. The discrimination, hurt, and harm they cause to others in their ignorance will be a heavy price to pay for their blind acceptance without filtering it through the "mind of Christ" in agape love.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:32 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Amen. Fundies do NOT use reason or logic or any other method in an attempt to test the Spirit of anything in the Bible because they accept it, contradictions, inconsistencies, barbarity, and all, unthinkingly and blindly. It is no wonder they and so many they lead fall into the same pit of ancient ignorance and superstition. The discrimination, hurt, and harm they cause to others in their ignorance will be a heavy price to pay for their blind acceptance without filtering it through the "mind of Christ" in agape love.
They really have no choice.

Proverbs 3:5New International Version (NIV)

5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;

Old 06-02-2016, 03:36 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
This Topic was inspired by another poster who compared "god" as the heavenly father to our "earthly" fathers and noted similarities from the point of view of the children

My own father was a D- grade who spent as much time as he spent around us (which was not a lot, thankfully) Controlling and going out of his way to destroy every ounce of our self -esteem. While he maintained a "know it all" attitude and acted as a dictator, we later came to find out that his own self esteem was negligible at best, as well as the later realization that based on his advise, he really did not know "everything". In fact, he was closer to the opposite, but since life is not an all or nothing black or white issue (in spite of the fact that he still observes it as such to this day) I will not dwell on that but to say that when I have followed his advice(or his "control") I have been met with failure more times than not.

SO looking at my father, who acted as though he was "god", looking at his own self hatred, self defeating and self loathing attitude, I began to do a deeper psychoanalysis of the Abrahamic God (which, I believe, to be fictitious, so this analysis is the same as doing one for Sherlock Holmes or Falstaff.)

Using written sources, such as the Koran Bible, Old Testament, etc I was able to access a few psychology profiles, first isolating any disorders or abnormalities. I did get strong results answering as "god" would, based on written texts, of some personality disorders. (Interesting because I believe to this day that my own father suffered from Borderline Personality Disorder, but refused to seek any treatment, of course, saying the problem was not with him but with everyone else.)

For Example:
Isolating a Narcissistic Disorder, for God, then looking back on behaviors, we see a repeated pattern of murder and revenge, one who spews forth hatred of anyone who fails to fall down and worship him. We see this at the Walls of Jericho, the Slaughter of the idol-worshipers at Mecca, the slaughter of the Amalek.....the list goes on.
Raging anger, which results in killing, (psychopathology ?) Usually is a clear indication of self hatred.

Then there are the first half of the commandments, The Ten Commandments start with commanding worship. Apparently, some god somewhere was too afraid that if he did not command people to worship him, then they might not.
Personally, If I were god, I would not care whether people worship me or not. Heck, I am NOT god and I do not care. Do not say"OH OH That is sad the way your dad was so abusive." My ego does not require that. I am OK ! I have moved on to bigger and better things without him. And enjoying it !
But egotism.....the god sized one of the deity in question, seems to indicate some lack of self-confidence, which generates clearly from a lack of self acceptance. So God, in the Abrahamic tradition, does not even accept himself, with all of his insecurities and flaws. (Check out the interesting psychology books online for further analysis)
It would appear, then, that the god, a creation of man, was created by self-loathing, insecure men, who perhaps had inadequate examples all around them. Using the limited resources, they created a god and attributed all that was seen and unseen to him. They characterized this god as though he were made in their image, a superhuman of sorts, with the egotistical problems, and the same negative attributes and shortcomings that they themselves had.

That included a degree of self doubt, self loathing and a lack of self acceptance, which primitive man could not fathom, but could express, and they created a self loathing, self hating god who constantly makes mistakes, but denies his own imperfections, all the while possibly knowing that he is a total failure.

If GOD demands that we " love ours enemies " I'm pretty sure that he loves HIMSELF.......

Old 06-02-2016, 05:51 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,239 times
^^^^^

Old 06-04-2016, 11:48 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,066,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I would encourage you to consult some good scholars that know the biblical languages. Consult any Bible dictionary and see what it says.
The Jews had a word for calamity that didn't encompass evil in general. The word "evil" is used there because that is what they mean, that Yahweh is CREATOR OF EVERYTHING and NOT EVEN EVIL IS INDEPENDENT.

Vague bibliolatry is still guilty of bibliolatry.

Old 06-04-2016, 12:38 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
The Jews had a word for calamity that didn't encompass evil in general. The word "evil" is used there because that is what they mean, that Yahweh is CREATOR OF EVERYTHING and NOT EVEN EVIL IS INDEPENDENT.

Vague bibliolatry is still guilty of bibliolatry.
Again..if only you would study the word in context, you'd find that it really does mean what I said.

In the Biblical Hebrew, "evil" could mean evil, or it could mean calamity. As it's used in the Bible.

The word used in Isaiah 45:7, of which we're discussing, is ra, or the Hebrew word רַע

It is translated "badly made, of small worth, poor, contemptible, evil, reprobate, evil, wickednes"

In the context of Isaiah 45:7, it states

"The One forming light and creating darkness,
Causing well-being and creating calamity;
I am the LORD who does all these."

The same word is also used in Amos, 6:3 "Do you put off the day of calamity, And would you bring near the seat of violence?"

Micah 1:12 states "For the inhabitant of maroth Becomes weak waiting for good, because a calamity has come down from the Lord to the gate of Jerusalem".

So...yes--it can mean evil. It can also mean a bad thing that happens, or judgment from God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality