Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 03:22 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,383,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Again...I love, and I hate.
Your bible says God IS love. Does love hate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2016, 03:27 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
But placing limits on actions can seem like hate if we don't understand.

PS, I can't rep you, but I would have 100 times.

Old 05-30-2016, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
But placing limits on actions can seem like hate if we don't understand.
No argument there.

Quote:
PS, I can't rep you, but I would have 100 times.
The feeling is, of course, mutual.

Old 05-30-2016, 03:39 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
One author phrased it that way. The statement does not suggest that it is the all-encompassing totality of who God is.

The passage indicates that everything that God does, he does in love. That includes creating, judging, and yes--even hating. He loves his children so much that he hates sin--and the sinner.

Old 05-30-2016, 03:43 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
One author phrased it that way. The statement does not suggest that it is the all-encompassing totality of who God is.

The passage indicates that everything that God does, he does in love. That includes creating, judging, and yes--even hating. He loves his children so much that he hates sin--and the sinner.
He's insane.

Old 05-30-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:
One author phrased it that way.
Why does it matter if it's one author? You believe God inspired him to write it, don't you? Is it true or isn't it?

Quote:
The statement does not suggest that it is the all-encompassing totality of who God is. The passage indicates that everything that God does, he does in love. That includes creating, judging, and yes--even hating. He loves his children so much that he hates sin--and the sinner.
Please explain how hating someone is loving them.

Old 05-30-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
He's insane.
The god of the infallible bible, were he real, would rightly be committed, for the safety and well-being of all concerned. It would be the loving thing to do.

Old 05-30-2016, 04:33 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
When my children were younger they had a bedtime of 8:30. Do you think I adhered to that same bedtime? No--of course not. That was a rule put in place for them--not for me.

Likewise, to suggest that God himself must adhere to the same set of rules that he gives us is silly.

That's what it really comes down to, isn't it? Your'e unwilling to recognize that God does have a right to do what he wants with his creation.
A good parent does not allow a child to drive a car or walk alone in the city or stay up late, but that is because the child isn't capable yet of doing those things.

But on the other hand a good parent doesn't teach a child to be loving "because I said so" and then model for the child, various forms of hate. That is hypocritical. Part of what an effective parent does is model right attitudes and actions, not simply dispense edicts divorced from their example.

The scriptures admonish, as someone else pointed out, "Be perfect, as [god] is perfect". We are to "be imitators of god". "Christ died for our sake and left his example". Putting this together with "Anyone who says he loves god and hates his brother or sister is a liar", one reasonably concludes that we are to imitate god and god therefore cannot model hatred as it is contrary to his nature.

So which is it? Does god hate or not? Depends on what you want to cherry pick I guess.

Old 05-30-2016, 06:06 PM

22,138 posts, read 19,198,797 times
there is a perspective where duality "seems to exist" so there appears to be both hate and love; tiny limited perspective, stuck in the forest
and there is a higher perspective where there is no duality there is only unity and only love; vast perspective, view above the forest seeing the grand sweeping panoramic view of the larger landscape

the Divine sees the big picture, and invites us to live life from that more expanded perspective (there is only love everywhere and always)
the human can often get stuck in the smaller perspective (seeing bad stuff)

sometimes harshness is actually love. is it hate to not bail a relative out of jail for a DUI? or is it love so that he'll not harm others, and maybe get into recovery?

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 05-30-2016 at 06:19 PM..

Old 05-30-2016, 06:48 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Again...I love, and I hate. The 2 are not mutually exclusive. You are standing on the "God is love" to suggest that said verse precludes any other emotion at all. The Bible also states that God is jealous, or that God can be pleased. Do you have a problem with that?
Yes and you SHOULD. God does NOT have ANY human psychological weaknesses. Jealousy, envy, hate, greed, etc. are just THAT! God has NOOOOO weaknesses, Vizio.
Quote:
Your own bible, as I mentioned earlier, describes how love behaves and hate is not part of that description. Your own bible says that love is not jealous, so you have discovered yet another bible self-contradiction. Going to ignore that, too?
Vizio can NOT acknowledge the inconsistencies, contradictions and outright human corruptions in the Bible without undermining his entire belief system, Pleroo. The man-made belief that the Bible is the word of God has caused innumerable corruptions and the complete evisceration of the Gospel of Christ using the barbaric OT ignorance and superstitions. Apparently, once the ignorance has been dogmatized as "precepts and doctrines of men," it is almost impossible to dislodge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality