Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2019, 04:02 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I get that, although it seems to me that sitting back and waiting isn't the way things are usually discovered.
I don't think that means sitting back and waiting. Even if it did it's better than going 100 miles an hour in the wrong direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 04:29 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,390,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I don't think that means sitting back and waiting. Even if it did it's better than going 100 miles an hour in the wrong direction.
I’m going back to that it depends on what direction one is headed. Sometimes starting the journey and making course corrections as needed is preferable to standing still.

Old 03-05-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
I’m going back to that it depends on what direction one is headed. Sometimes starting the journey and making course corrections as needed is preferable to standing still.
You reminded me of this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGKfrgqWcv0

Old 03-05-2019, 04:41 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:
i am totally fine with this stance.

Its fine when people take "I don't know" and leave it at that. Leave their conversations about a "higher anything" out of their conversations. Stick to what they do know.

religion can be dangerous ... yes
I don't know about god ... yes
I don't have to know about god to say a guy didn't rise from the dead ... yes, thats true.

also, I deviate from it when people try and tell me "since I don't know I think its better we don't talk about any possibilities because it makes atheism harder to sell."

But, I must admit, I am with pleroo too. i don't like just telling people they are wrong. I like giving a something as a counter claim so that we can compare them to come up with a relative validity list.

Old 03-05-2019, 04:48 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,390,383 times
Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGKfrgqWcv0
I like the lyrics. There’s a kind of waiting that isn’t passive. It’s like MissH’s “be still”. I think that makes sense. For me anyway.

Old 03-05-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
i am totally fine with this stance.

Its fine when people take "I don't know" and leave it at that. Leave their conversations about a "higher anything" out of their conversations. Stick to what they do know.

religion can be dangerous ... yes
I don't know about god ... yes
I don't have to know about god to say a guy didn't rise from the dead ... yes, thats true.

also, I deviate from it when people try and tell me "since I don't know I think its better we don't talk about any possibilities because it makes atheism harder to sell."

But, I must admit, I am with pleroo too. i don't like just telling people they are wrong. I like giving a something as a counter claim so that we can compare them to come up with a relative validity list.
I'm fine with it too. I enjoy discussing my experiences with believers and comparing them to try and find a common denominator. Mostly I've found that people who have similar experiences aren't concerned with what I call it either.

When I was in the sect I think that knowledge position, more than anything, froze my mind. Even if I could "know" I wouldn't want to. It's better this way. No one has to agree with me because I don't know either.

Old 03-05-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
I like the lyrics. There’s a kind of waiting that isn’t passive. It’s like MissH’s “be still”. I think that makes sense. For me anyway.
It seems like "be still" might be the key.

Old 03-05-2019, 05:05 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
It seems like "be still" might be the key.
It helps considerably in certain fishing situations.

Also helps in becoming invisible to wild animals. And sometimes people.

Old 03-05-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
It helps considerably in certain fishing situations.

Also helps in becoming invisible to wild animals. And sometimes people.
LOL

Too soon.

Old 03-06-2019, 06:57 AM

16,774 posts, read 4,979,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Actually, your NO God may actually be a God. You really don't get it.
I get that that does not work. You are defining your god as reality, which is not dependent on a god (unless you are begging the question).

I am not defining reality as no god, I am pointing out that what we see as reality is better explained as no improbable complex intelligence just existing.

Quote:
That is why the default is and must remain "We Don't Know."
If we do not know, then logically the positive claim is probably wrong. Go on, guess my birthday.

Quote:
your atheist arrogance notwithstanding.
Logic an probability is atheist arrogance?

Quote:
You and I can believe one over the other but that does not change the default. This is so obvious and undeniable that I question the self-awareness of any who do not see it.
Your ignorance of probability is your problem, not mine.

Quote:
You cannot dismiss the status of our Reality so cavalierly out of ignorance about ALL of its attributes when its KNOWN attributes are sufficient to rule out No God.
So your assertion without evidence IS begging the question. Again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality