Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2016, 07:07 PM

1,050 posts, read 505,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
Few know what Jesus taught. Few bothered to learn and apply.
True.

Jesus brought a new religion, similar to Hinduism. The parallels are amazing. And no, Hinduism does not teach of multiple Gods.

The NT says he brought a "new covenant" and that "the old one was ready to pass away". But it was a radical rewrite of the OT in the image and likeness of Hinduism. It was his way of acquiring converts to make it seem to represent a fulfillment of the OT and a morphing of its teachings. And yet he contradicted many of those teachings, like stoning adulterers. And his teachings, therefore, are very "coded". Few have understood what he was really teaching. Instead they took the surface meanings and considered them the real message.

Look deeper.

Old 09-04-2016, 10:47 AM

19,999 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepy View Post
the will of the lord alone is carried, good and evil taking place at his commands. why should you ever complain when you are punished? let us examine our ways and repent.
I don't complain about being punished because there is no one to punishing me.

Life is just stuff happening. Some people ascribe agency to it because they think life is all about them being either picked on or blessed. I don't.

My critiques are simple hypotheticals: if for the sake of argument there's an all powerful, all knowing, perfectly benevolent god, we would expect the righteous to actually prosper and the wicked to actually be confounded. In fact, we don't even see a weak tendency for those things to happen.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:35 AM

351 posts, read 226,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Or, maybe not everyone.
to you also the cup of anger shall pass, the lord shall uncover your sins and punish your iniquity. Zion has paid for her sins. her chastisement has been greater than that of Sodom which was overthrown in a moment. those who used to eat fine foods were begging in the streets of Jerusalem, their faces once ruddy were blackened. they were not recognized in the siege, their skin stuck to their bones. the victims of anger wasted away for lack of fruit from the fields. the lord turn loose his anger, one would not believed that enemies could break through the gates of Jerusalem yet the lord permitted it. our fathers sinned and are no more, should we bear their punishment in the name of Jesus?

Old 09-05-2016, 09:59 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
to you also the cup of anger shall pass, the lord shall uncover your sins and punish your iniquity. Zion has paid for her sins. her chastisement has been greater than that of Sodom which was overthrown in a moment. those who used to eat fine foods were begging in the streets of Jerusalem, their faces once ruddy were blackened. they were not recognized in the siege, their skin stuck to their bones. the victims of anger wasted away for lack of fruit from the fields. the lord turn loose his anger, one would not believed that enemies could break through the gates of Jerusalem yet the lord permitted it. our fathers sinned and are no more, should we bear their punishment in the name of Jesus?
More nonsensical bible babble from a reliable source of same.

Old 09-05-2016, 10:14 AM

19,999 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Rather sadistically enjoying the descriptions of punishment too.

Old 09-05-2016, 10:32 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I'm very grateful I don't have those ugly thoughts taking up space inside my brain.

Old 09-05-2016, 01:14 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,917,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kode View Post
True.

Jesus brought a new religion, similar to Hinduism. The parallels are amazing. And no, Hinduism does not teach of multiple Gods.

The NT says he brought a "new covenant" and that "the old one was ready to pass away". But it was a radical rewrite of the OT in the image and likeness of Hinduism. It was his way of acquiring converts to make it seem to represent a fulfillment of the OT and a morphing of its teachings. And yet he contradicted many of those teachings, like stoning adulterers. And his teachings, therefore, are very "coded". Few have understood what he was really teaching. Instead they took the surface meanings and considered them the real message.

Look deeper.

LOVE is the new covenant--Law would be written on hearts if one had the love Jesus spoke about. I hear many say--I love my family and friends--that is not enough, One must love their enemies the same as well. Jesus taught the will of his God and Father,YHWH, he had nothing to do with Hinduism.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I don't complain about being punished because there is no one to punishing me.

Life is just stuff happening. Some people ascribe agency to it because they think life is all about them being either picked on or blessed. I don't.

My critiques are simple hypotheticals: if for the sake of argument there's an all powerful, all knowing, perfectly benevolent god, we would expect the righteous to actually prosper and the wicked to actually be confounded. In fact, we don't even see a weak tendency for those things to happen.
who is he that say and it comes to pass, when the lord commands it not. lift up your heart and hands to god.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I'm very grateful I don't have those ugly thoughts taking up space inside my brain.
to commit fornication, the lord does not approve. my transgressions were bound in yoke and set on my neck, that caused my strength to fail. the lord is righteous for i have rebelled against his commandment but hear and see my 'suffering?' remembering my affliction, my soul is humbled in me. it is of the lord's mercies that we are not destroyed. a man should put his mouth in the dust and give his right cheek to him that smites him. if so be there may be hope, the lord will have compassion according to the multitude of his mercies.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:47 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
to commit fornication, the lord does not approve. my transgressions were bound in yoke and set on my neck, that caused my strength to fail. the lord is righteous for i have rebelled against his commandment but hear and see my 'suffering?' remembering my affliction, my soul is humbled in me. it is of the lord's mercies that we are not destroyed. a man should put his mouth in the dust and give his right cheek to him that smites him. if so be there may be hope, the lord will have compassion according to the multitude of his mercies.
Get professional help. Your holy book has spawned a raging case of spiritual cancer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.