Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2016, 07:22 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
The otherside of the coin = pure darkness.
In the opinion of those who never seem to know what they are talking about, or make much sense.

Old 08-12-2016, 07:48 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
This one deserves ten reps, no less!
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Well I was thinking in terms of reproducing Keepy's faux prophetic utterance the same way that there are "deepity generators" out there who satirize Deepak Chopra's content-free new age pronouncements.

Folks who claim a prophetic gift tend to adopt the same stentorian tone as the Old Testament (and the more authoritarian parts of the new) much as Joseph Smith authored the Book of Mormon in quasi-Elizabethan English. Your link just uses the Psalms as a source of royalty-free text for the purpose of populating sample web layouts in various languages.

If I had the time I would write a faux-scripture BS generator myself, it would be a fun project.
This is something that has to be dealt with. We are familiar with the Sons of Evasiveness who drag the red herring of Metaphor across the border (to mix metaphors) between myth and history. They give themselves away anyway when they claim it is History, not Myth. They know very well what is meant and it is simply wriggling and is best ignored.

There is also the Interpretation aspect and that I suppose divides between what doesn't seem likely (dividing 2 billion years of earth formation into 6 and calling each a "Day" in order to make Genesis work is on the Improbable side of credibility) and symbolism and metaphor. Like 'Eden and the Flood are metaphors of the human condition". That's fair enough, but that sort of metaphor has crossed the line from informative text to nothing special waffle. It should be taken as saying "This is no more special than the Hobbit or tales of the Brothers Grimm". But we are still expected to regard the source as somehow More Significant.

This is a kind of BS that we should be ready for and challenge. And you won't be surprised when those who play the 'Symbolic metaphor" card get upset when they are told that this makes the Bible no more important than a volume of Shelley's poetry.

They want to have the best of both worlds, or eat their cake and have it; to escape having to justify the unjustifiable as fact, but escape the consequences if it being admittedly NOT fact.

That is I suppose, why, although the symbullockists are less of a problem - you won't find them building Symbolic Bible museums - they are pretty much doing a John 8.59. So, in a sneaking way, I have a grudging respect for the Biballs literalists who bite the bullet and try to substantiate what they believe - and ought to believe if they believe it. That what it says happened, is more or less fact. And not in a Symbolic or metaphorical way.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:23 AM

351 posts, read 226,607 times
as surely as the lord lives, swear by the living god, you will not be handed over to what you fear, he will surely save you. you will escape and live because you have trusted in the lord. even to this day you are still proud, you have not yet learned to respect the lord, to follow his teachings, why do you make him andry by these evil? we refuse to listen to what you have told us in the name of jesus, we will do everything we said we would. perhaps they will ask the lord to help them, perhaps they will turn from their evil ways and pray to the lord

Old 08-12-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
There y'go Richard. Man does not rule the world, Stan rules the world though men. But, kjw, God made Satan didn't he? And he could destroy or at least remove Stan if he wanted, couldn't he? (if you want to say "No, He couldn't" to either of those, feel free, and we'll alter the discussion accordingly ) and so, if he allows that situation to continue, it is because it suits him to, doesn't it? And therefore, God is ruling the world through Satan, isn't he? Or at least, he is letting the game be payed according to God's own rules. And if he is making the rules, why is it either ourselves or Satan who has to take the responsibility?

I know why, but, do you?

I'm going to pinch that
we are blamed because we are not following the terms of the agreement god made with Abraham.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:46 AM

20,020 posts, read 13,496,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepy View Post
Even to this day you are still proud, you have not yet learned to respect the lord, to follow his teachings, why do you make him angry by these evil? we refuse to listen to what you have told us in the name of jesus, we will do everything we said we would. perhaps they will ask the lord to help them, perhaps they will turn from their evil ways and pray to the lord
Your arrogance and impertinence is noted. I leave it as an exercise to the reader to decide which is more evil -- condemning total strangers to eternal damnation for imagined sins or requiring valid evidence and logical argument to substantiate fantastical truth-claims.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:47 AM

Quote:
we are blamed because we are not following the terms of the agreement god made with Abraham.
Let it be known that I accept responsibility for no debts other than my own. I am not a part to the Terms of Service Abraham is alleged to have signed thousands of years ago. He does not speak on my behalf.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Let it be known that I accept responsibility for no debts other than my own. I am not a part to the Terms of Service Abraham is alleged to have signed thousands of years ago. He does not speak on my behalf.
yes he does through jesus christ we are also heir of the promises written in the covenant.

Old 08-12-2016, 01:00 PM

Quote:
yes he does through jesus christ we are also heir of the promises written in the covenant.
That's nice. Run along and play now.

Old 08-12-2016, 01:07 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,920,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
In the opinion of those who never seem to know what they are talking about, or make much sense.

Light will not enter darkness. That is why truth is not understood by most and this is how most are seeing-2Cor 4:4

Old 08-12-2016, 01:21 PM

1,248 posts, read 824,578 times
Quote:
We are no heirs to the promises made to the children of Judea, to the Chosen Ones. The one who made these promises considers us no more than dogs licking up crumbs from the table. Why should we trust in him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality