Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 10:29 AM

351 posts, read 226,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Not fond of might makes right philosophy either.
who is he who will devote himself to come close to the lord, who will dare of himself to appoach him? the lord will invite him to be a priest at his altars, and he shall approach the lord.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:46 AM

20,018 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepy View Post
who is he who will devote himself to come close to the lord, who will dare of himself to appoach him? the lord will invite him to be a priest at his altars, and he shall approach the lord.
Behold, I say unto thee, I am one who hath devoted myself and come close to the lord, and durst approach him. I became a priest at his altars. But lo, he did prove to be nonexistent, for he had fled from the presence of the congregation of the people, if indeed he had ever been there. When godliness came to aught and the destruction of all things holy and good were complete, then did I realize that the lord is fiction and this fiction doth wax gross amongst the nations. Then did I eschew the ways of faith, and chose an epistemology that hath been proven. Then did my righteousness flow as a mighty river, no longer called forth on threat of eternal suffering, but from free volition: and then did I find my life explicable and became content withall.

Now therefore, comest thou no more into the midst of the people, saying, peace, peace, where there is no peace. Take thy failed reasoning and unctuous pronouncements and go thither into the outer darkness, where is weeping, and wailing, and gnashing of teeth, which thous rejoiceth in apparently.

Old 08-01-2016, 12:34 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Behold, I say unto thee, I am one who hath devoted myself and come close to the lord, and durst approach him. I became a priest at his altars. But lo, he did prove to be nonexistent, for he had fled from the presence of the congregation of the people, if indeed he had ever been there. When godliness came to aught and the destruction of all things holy and good were complete, then did I realize that the lord is fiction and this fiction doth wax gross amongst the nations. Then did I eschew the ways of faith, and chose an epistemology that hath been proven. Then did my righteousness flow as a mighty river, no longer called forth on threat of eternal suffering, but from free volition: and then did I find my life explicable and became content withall.

Now therefore, comest thou no more into the midst of the people, saying, peace, peace, where there is no peace. Take thy failed reasoning and unctuous pronouncements and go thither into the outer darkness, where is weeping, and wailing, and gnashing of teeth, which thous rejoiceth in apparently.
Bravo!

Too soon etc.

Old 08-01-2016, 03:35 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,920,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Not fond of might makes right philosophy either.

So then on a scale--you get 70-90 years of self thinking and pass up-- trillions x trillions x trillions of never ending years in Gods kingdom on paradise earth.

Not very wise thinking. And all for what? Because satan has you seeing like this-2Cor 4:4

So you choose to lose to satan, the one who has caused all the bad that ever occurred.

Old 08-01-2016, 05:05 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,835,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
So then on a scale--you get 70-90 years of self thinking and pass up-- trillions x trillions x trillions of never ending years in Gods kingdom on paradise earth.

Not very wise thinking. And all for what? Because satan has you seeing like this-2Cor 4:4

So you choose to lose to satan, the one who has caused all the bad that ever occurred.
Nah the actual trade is I get 70-90 years of not having to believe things that are clearly not true, and as a reward I get exactly the same thing after I am dead as you do. Regardless of what it says in your story book.

Old 08-01-2016, 05:06 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,835,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepy View Post
Not sure why you think this gibberish would convince anyone of anything.

Old 08-01-2016, 05:23 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:

JWs sound like Gollum.

Last edited by TroutDude; 08-01-2016 at 05:23 PM.. Reason: ETA: Changing a question to a statement.

Old 08-02-2016, 06:52 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,083,997 times
Quote:
I'm trying to figure out just exactly what one would *do* for all those "trillions x trillions x trillions of never ending years".

Lay around, staring at the 'streets of gold' and singing hymns? Endless bowing and groveling?

What about eating, drinking and boinking? Can we do that? Heck, even that might get old after a couple hundred years...unless maybe there is an endless supply of nubile young virgins, or a lot of wife-swapping...that might kill another hundred years...but, eventually, I should think that would get to be more than a little boring.

You really haven't thought this through, have you?

Old 08-02-2016, 07:49 AM

20,018 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I'm trying to figure out just exactly what one would *do* for all those "trillions x trillions x trillions of never ending years".

Lay around, staring at the 'streets of gold' and singing hymns? Endless bowing and groveling?

What about eating, drinking and boinking? Can we do that? Heck, even that might get old after a couple hundred years...unless maybe there is an endless supply of nubile young virgins, or a lot of wife-swapping...that might kill another hundred years...but, eventually, I should think that would get to be more than a little boring.

God would have to remove or modify the hedonic tone mechanisms in people's brains in order for immortality not to eventually become its own hell.

What would you do after 3.5 billion years if you decide you don't want to have more experiences? Kill yourself? You're already dead.

No, it's not a workable or even attractive concept if you're free to think it through. Conservative theists aren't free to think it through because it's forbidden; most others aren't free to think it through because it requires fully accepting your own mortality and even understanding that it's a Good Thing.

People always want to live outside their true scope. Once you learn to live within your scope, a lot of stuff that used to torment you goes away, and a lot of stuff that didn't make sense suddenly makes perfect sense.

It is comforting not to have to live up to artificially inflated expectations and ambitions. Living up to (or expecting to live in) some afterlife concept is just another instance of that.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:22 AM

6,366 posts, read 2,920,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post

God has promised--every desire of ones heart will be filled. Not in the sick thinking of this system though.( like wife swapping)
One most likely will have a garden and trees to be taken care of--God knows it will work.
God has only rested from creating--who knows what wonderful things he has in store for the inhabitants of his Kingdom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality