Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 10:09 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,738,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
So then you believe God DOES interfere with free will, choices, choice consequence and so on?

Well, this blows the whole "God doesn't help starving children no matter how hard they pray because it would be unloving him to interfere with our choices and the consequences - that would make us all just controlled robots!" thingie all to hell, eh?

Also ruins the whole "God isn't a genie in a bottle to rub and receive wishes" bit.

Hmm.

Too much of this and the Apologetics Arsenal will be depleted. Slow down.
wtf are you talking about? That's an LOL nonsense if I ever heard one.

Me saying a prayer doesn't mean God's going to do anything. It is akin to wishing someone good health and good fortune.

Jeez, talk about reading WAY TOO INTO THINGS.

Someone sure pissed you off at some age in life apparently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 10:28 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
wtf are you talking about? That's an LOL nonsense if I ever heard one.

Me saying a prayer doesn't mean God's going to do anything. It is akin to wishing someone good health and good fortune.

Jeez, talk about reading WAY TOO INTO THINGS.

Someone sure pissed you off at some age in life apparently.
So you pray to God...for basically no reason at all?

Interesting.

Old 07-18-2016, 10:31 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Finch View Post
Why do we need to persevere with God in prayer concerning the salvation of others?
First off, I think we need to stop assuming that we even know what someone else's status with God is.

Old 07-18-2016, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
So you pray to God...for basically no reason at all?

Interesting.
It's not for 'no reason at all'. It also doesn't mean anything will come of it, or anything will come of it at that time. or I am to truly grasp what is to occur. But there is not a darn thing wrong for wishing health and good fortune on fellow humans.

But I'll still do it. As stated, I don't pray for others salvation as I don't believe in the definition of that word in it's current context. And I also don't routinely engage with closed minded people of a religious, or atheistic, persuasion as their responses are predictable and quite boring. Quite often, totally devoid of humor as well.

Old 07-18-2016, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
First off, I think we need to stop assuming that we even know what someone else's status with God is.
Bingo... hence the whole 'salvation' aspect. That's not my place, role, or decision... if it even is a decision (which I personally don't believe it is a decision as I think everyone ends up the same place regardless of creed).

Old 07-19-2016, 05:10 AM

1,490 posts, read 1,214,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
to say you will not help someone in need because it violates their free will is just really dark and twisted.
JerZ doesn't believe that either.

The point she was making was the argument put forth (primarily) by Christian apologists that the reason god doesn't help people about to be raped, killed, or starving kids is because that would violate mankind's free will. It is a very common argument put forth as an explanation to the problem of evil.

So if you were to pray for god to essentially convert non-believers to be Christians, you would be praying for god to violate thein free will....just as he would need to do for the rapist or murderer before committing the evil act.

Obviously not every Christian, let alone every theist, swallows that line of reasoning. But it is quite often used to explain how a loving, all powerful, and all knowing god could allow evil to innocent victims.

Old 07-19-2016, 05:37 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
It's not for 'no reason at all'. It also doesn't mean anything will come of it, or anything will come of it at that time. or I am to truly grasp what is to occur. But there is not a darn thing wrong for wishing health and good fortune on fellow humans.

But I'll still do it. As stated, I don't pray for others salvation as I don't believe in the definition of that word in it's current context. And I also don't routinely engage with closed minded people of a religious, or atheistic, persuasion as their responses are predictable and quite boring. Quite often, totally devoid of humor as well.
Not a thing wrong with wishing health happiness and prosperity on us all, though it is probably more of a waste of time even than praying for world peace, which can at least stimulate some Intent.

But for me, the basis of not doing things that don't make any rational sense is always the better option and, while doing things for no better reason than Faith (which is no good reason at all) even if it doesn't appear to do any harm, is wrong at bottom, and doing the wrong is wrong even if it doesn't have any harmful effects - or at least none that are apparent.

Old 07-19-2016, 05:48 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Because our salvation is of God -- not the fickle whim of man.
But God know those who will be saved, so prayer changes NOTHING...you yourself claim to have been PREORDAINED for salvation.

Old 07-19-2016, 06:40 AM

19,999 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
if someone is going to pray for others, then pray for things that benefit everyone such as world peace, health, kindness, harmony, stable food supply, honest livelihood, dignity for all humankind.
Does anyone who prays for such generic things really expect an actual answer?

Old 07-19-2016, 07:33 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Does anyone who prays for such generic things really expect an actual answer?
Does anyone who prays about anything expect an actual answer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality