Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2016, 10:26 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,397,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
You see old horse! This is where things get complicated. So many believers all with different ideas of what 'God' is or isn't. Of course, if we have a god that is not omnimax then we have an answer to every problem don't we.

For 4000 years, Yahweh has been omnimax but now, faced with the logical inconsistencies and impossibilities that an omnimax deity raises, we see believers completely changing the nature of their god in order to overcome the problems.

I'm old enough to remember a time when Yahweh was an enigma, a mystery beyond the understanding of we mere mortals but suddenly, over the past 15 years or so, every believer has started having a bloody 'personal relationship' with the 'mysterious enigma' that was 'God'.

When one is faced with the insurmountable problem of... 'if god hates evil why doesn't an omnimax deity stop evil'...just claim that your god isn't omnimax. Simple! Problem solved.
I didn't claim anything about god. I simply asked a question. Relax, old goat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 10:30 AM

Quote:
See above post. Since when did Yahweh go from being the omnimax creator of the universe to ...well... someone that seems to be pretty much impotent?
I wasn't talking about Yahweh.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
See above post. Since when did Yahweh go from being the omnimax creator of the universe to ...well... someone that seems to be pretty much impotent?
By the way, it's extreme (irrational?) to say that if something is not OMNI-potent, it is of necessity IM-potent.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:42 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,862,986 times
So why not tell me what this god of yours is my old fruit pie? Describe it's attributes and powers. It will save me wasting my time typing as I don't type very fast.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
So why not tell me what this god of yours is my old fruit pie? Describe it's attributes and powers. It will save me wasting my time typing as I don't type very fast.
My little pumpkin, I did not make any claims about god or it's attributes or powers. I posed a question, to perhaps generate discussion. Answer it or not, it's fine.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
By the way, it's extreme (irrational?) to say that if something is not OMNI-potent, it is of necessity IM-potent.
I didn't say it was completely impotent did I my petit chou-chou. I said 'pretty much'

Old 07-21-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
I didn't say it was completely impotent did I my petit chou-chou. I said 'pretty much'
And I didn't say you said it was "completely impotent", did I, mon ami?

I'm guessing that you do not want to answer my original question, then. Perhaps you could just relax, and let anyone who cares to answer it, do so.

Here it is again:

I'm not an Omni-god believer, but I'm curious if you think that a benevolent God knowing ahead of time what the result of free-will would be, would preclude that God from allowing it to go forward anyway? IF free-will is simply an integral part of being conscious and aware, did God do something evil by allowing people to experience being conscious and aware? Eternal torment not entering the equation (I'm assuming benevolent God would institute no such thing) and leaving out omnipotence as well (I'm assuming that God, at the very least, would be logically constrained by free will beings) do you think it is evil to give beings an opportunity to experience conscious life with the ability to choose freely how they will use that opportunity?

Old 07-21-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
My little pumpkin, I did not make any claims about god or it's attributes or powers. I posed a question, to perhaps generate discussion. Answer it or not, it's fine.
You believe in a god and one would assume that you see certain attributes in the god that you believe in. I'm wondering what they are. You say that it isn't Yahweh so.... which?

Old 07-21-2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:
You believe in a god and one would assume that you see certain attributes in the god that you believe in. I'm wondering what they are. You say that it isn't Yahweh so.... which?

Why are you wondering?

Old 07-21-2016, 10:58 AM

Quote:
And I didn't say you said it was "completely impotent", did I, mon ami?

I'm guessing that you do not want to answer my original question, then. Perhaps you could just relax, and let anyone who cares to answer it, do so.

Here it is again:

I'm not an Omni-god believer, but I'm curious if you think that a benevolent God knowing ahead of time what the result of free-will would be, would preclude that God from allowing it to go forward anyway?
...because if he is aware of the results of Hitler and allows Hitler to be born, knowing that Hitler's actions will result in the death and suffering of many millions, he cannot be described as benevolent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality