Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2017, 08:44 AM

51,132 posts, read 24,617,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Sure, yeah maybe. Unless they are right by accident.
"If faith is right about anything, it would only be right by accident." ~ Dr. Samuel Harris, atheist neuroscientist.

These are the sort of platitudes and aphorisms that I would consider "not really true wisdom." Such simplistic platitudes imagine a perfect world where everyone follows rules and there is never any negative consequences for doing a good thing. But in truth and evidently, the good often die young: those who think others everywhere already follow their example do not ready themselves to defend their lives properly, become naive and believe lies easily, and don't prepare themselves mentally well enough and thus feel greater suffering when others don't treat them with kindness. The mostly bad persecute the good and the bad, the mostly good persecute the bad and the good.

Don't kill, another man might kill you or others. Don't lie, you might get yourself or others in trouble for keeping secrets or telling truths. Treat others with kindness, you or others might be unawarely abused. Etc.
It is never as simple as three or four words.
I wasn't writing a thesis. Just a quick forum post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 02:25 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,968,884 times
A line of thought has developed in this thread which is taking it far afield from the OP AND from the revision of the elemints of the Op. The effect of this could well be to have this thread closed, thereby absolving Baptist Fundie from answering the questions that have been rased about his revision...

SO I am taking the last few posts on this new topic to a new thread entitled Wisdom without the Magic/Supernatural.

PLEASE take any new responses to that thread and allow this one to remain on topic

Old 10-08-2017, 03:17 PM

23,275 posts, read 10,574,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Have you spent enough time studying Empiricism, Hannibal? Somehow I doubt it.

I'm simply trying to demonstrate to you that "spend enough time in study" is a vague criteria that could only mean "you've only studied it enough once you believe it hook, line, and sinker."

But this is the same logic as "believing through faith"...

which in other words is "believing by trying your best to become/stay loyal to the believe."

Empiricism will be easily proven to you if you are willing to spend enough time in study.
LOL, Don't even know what that word means but I get the point, fair enough, and I still say that given time, I could prove and convince anyone.

Old 10-08-2017, 04:36 PM

439 posts, read 347,552 times
If someone doesn't believe in the Tr-Iune Godhead (per scripture) then they are not a Christian
If someone doesn't believe Christ became man, died and rose again to save us from our sins and be reconcilled to God, then he's not a Christian per CHRISTIAN beliefs.

I would obviously not call myself a Muslim if I do not align with the Muslims defintion of a Muslim per the Koran. If I did so, I'd be a liar and I'd hope people would call me on it.

To be a liar is to be a deceiver. No one likes liars or deceivers. They are what the world considers " a snake in the grass"
(ftr: snake is a metaphor for the devil in the garden of eden who deceived Adam and Eve)

Old 10-08-2017, 04:52 PM

64,027 posts, read 40,331,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeaniee View Post
If someone doesn't believe in the Tr-Iune Godhead (per scripture) then they are not a Christian
If someone doesn't believe Christ became man, died and rose again to save us from our sins and be reconcilled to God, then he's not a Christian per CHRISTIAN beliefs.
Read the instruction to this forum. Anyone who claims to follow Christ and be a Christian IS a Christian here. You are violating the rules of this forum by pretending that you can decide who is or is not a Christian.

Old 10-08-2017, 05:01 PM

15,966 posts, read 6,395,870 times
Quote:

I would obviously not call myself a Muslim if I do not align with the Muslims defintion of a Muslim per the Koran. If I did so, I'd be a liar and I'd hope people would call me on it.

To be a liar is to be a deceiver. No one likes liars or deceivers. They are what the world considers " a snake in the grass"
(ftr: snake is a metaphor for the devil in the garden of eden who deceived Adam and Eve)
Coming from a group that didn't believe in the Trinity I can tell you they are genuine when they say they are Christians. They believed that trinity religions to be false. I think there is infighting with the Muslims as well. Maybe if people could just get over themselves for a minute.

Old 10-08-2017, 05:02 PM

439 posts, read 347,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Read the instruction to this forum. Anyone who claims to follow Christ and be a Christian IS a Christian here. You are violating the rules of this forum by pretending that you can decide who is or is not a Christian.
I was addressing the biblical (bible) definition only, not the definition per this forum.

The world, including forums, have various definitions of CHRISTian

People themselves have varying definitions of the word Christian

Just as people have varying definitions of MUSLIM

If I said the definition per MUSLIM beliefs, I'd be referring to the Koran

Not a person or forums definition of MUSLIM

SO when I visit other CD forums (after some knowledge ) I will be referring to the KORAN's definition

of MUSLIM.

Christianity is not the only religion I plan on participating in discussions

Just don't want to waste other peoples time discussing a religion I don't even have a basic foundation to their beliefs, no matter what it is

That's just being honest and fair

Old 10-08-2017, 05:05 PM

15,966 posts, read 6,395,870 times
Quote:
I was addressing the biblical definition only, not the definition of this forum.

The world, including forums, have various definitions of CHRISTian

People themselves have varying definitions of the word Christian.

Just as people have varying definitions of MUSLIM

If I said the definition per MUSLIM beliefs, I'd be referring to the Koran

Not a person or forums definition of MUSLIM
What is the Biblical definition of a Christian then? Show me where it says believing in the trinity is a requirement. The only scripture that comes to my mind is the one about two or three people gathered together in my name.

Old 10-08-2017, 05:08 PM

64,027 posts, read 40,331,746 times
Quote:
I was addressing the biblical (bible) definition only, not the definition per this forum.
You don't get to decide what is the biblical definition of Christian because there is no such definition in the Bible. Your indoctrination into whatever dogma you currently endorse does NOT privilege you to decide who is Christian, period.

Old 10-08-2017, 05:09 PM

51,132 posts, read 24,617,542 times
Quote:

And this post exemplifies the problem we are discussing. That some people think they and their associates are the ones who get to define what being a Christian is and is not. And they are wrong. That is between an individual and God (assuming for this discussion that there is a God). Others don't get to decide. And that is one of the reasons I turned away from Christianity -- because far too many Christians spend their time EXCLUDING people that are not like them. And, at least in my view, that is just the opposite of what Christ would have done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality