Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2018, 03:58 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,606,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Would you be looking to buy one? Would you go if I bought you a ticket?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Thanks, but no thanks.

Just pointing out ignorance or lying for jesus.
Hey BEFun, BEGOOD and give that $48 you would have spent on a ticket for me and hand it to one of the many homeless people you have in your nearest town.

I have faith you will do that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2018, 04:00 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,052,712 times
I am perfectly happy to see Ark Encounter fail as a business, as seems to be indicated by declining ticket sales.

AE is bad education, and declining ticket sales seems to indicate that people realize that. It’s all ok with me.

Old 09-27-2018, 04:09 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
In a decade or two it will be regarded as a monument to the folly and gullibility of a certain, vanishing, sub-set of Christians. Perhaps it could then re-open as a sort of Ripley's museum and make a few bucks for the community.

Old 09-27-2018, 04:12 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,597,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
In a decade or two it will be regarded as a monument to the folly and gullibility of a certain, vanishing, sub-set of Christians. Perhaps it could then re-open as a sort of Ripley's museum and make a few bucks for the community.

Yeah, Jim Bakker's "Heritage USA" certainly didn't last past Bakker's downfall, did it?

Old 09-27-2018, 04:45 PM

16,677 posts, read 15,680,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
And I pointed out that ticket sales alone are not an accurate portrayal of actual attendance considering some visitors have lifetime memberships and children get in free. Those are people who eat in local restaurants and stay at local hotels, all a boost to the economy.

Yesterday I posted a source detailing specific enormous boosts and benefits to the region. No surprise, it was completely dismissed without anyone giving a single shred of evidence to discredit these numbers. Here it is again from a different source:

Did you know demand for hotel rooms in Northern Kentucky is four times the national average? Why? Much of it can be attributed to tourists pouring in to visit our Ark Encounter and Creation Museum.

Quote:
Did you also know:

• Northern Kentucky now contributes 20 percent of the tourism economic impact for the whole state. It increased significantly since the opening of the life-size ark in 2016.

• Occupancy rates for hotels in Northern Kentucky (and even in parts of Indiana and Ohio) are in the 90 percent range, mainly due to Ark and Creation Museum visitors — revealing a critical need for more local hotels and restaurants.

• For every 100 jobs created at Answers in Genesis and our two attractions, we generate 29 jobs in the community. AiG has 1,050 on staff (including seasonal workers during the busy summer months), making it a very large employer in Northern Kentucky. In addition, for every $1 million in our sales, we generate $500,000 in local revenue — that is over and above the sales tax income that goes to the state.
https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...ons/878239002/

Let's see some factual data to directly contradict my source rather than just saying the source is untrustworthy. I certainly don't trust FFRF who wants to see Christianity destroyed in America. Of course, they want the Ark to fail.

Only atheists could somehow twist something Christian that brings money and jobs to the region as being negative and wrong.
My comments were based off of Ken Ham's statements. If his attendance numbers indicate figures that include or do not include children or life members, he would most probably use the same basis for his attendance reports the next time. Your source says the numbers are lower than projections. I'm not contradicting that.

The only thing I remember seeing the FFRF say about the Ark Encounter was a letter to a school district that wanted to take students to the Ark Encounter as an official school field trip. Since the Supreme Court has ruled that even leading a prayer at a football game violates the 1st Amendment, it's blatantly obvious that a school can't sponsor a field trip to the Ark Encounter. (BTW, the FFRF is not trying to destroy Christianity. They work to see that the 1st Amendment is followed.)

The complaints about economic benefits are from the city and the county where the Ark Encounter is located. They have complained because economic benefits that Ken Ham said would come have not materialized. I don't really know what he expected, other than that he said hotels would be build to accommodate visitors, but none have been built. I can kind of understand why hotels aren't being built. This venue is only about 30-35 miles from the International Airport up in Covington. (You know, that's the Cincinnati airport.) I know a couple of times that I went to Cincinnati for events, I stayed at a motel in Kentucky. If I were guessing, I'd say that a hotel would get more business by locating closer to the airport and the bridges to Cincinnati without really losing out on business from Ark Encounter visitors who are only going to need to be bused 30 miles to their destination.

With that huge airport that close, it is difficult to attribute any wide area business growth to one thing. Even something as far away as Cincinnati could be a big factor. If Cincinnati's 3 pro sports teams are all doing well, attendance at games goes up, and room rentals increase with them. Does the Ark Encounter contribute? Absolutely. Is it responsible for business upticks? I don't know. I suspect there are multiple causes.

Old 09-27-2018, 05:00 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,737,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
All I'm hearing is 'You have no evidence'. 'The evidence? Oh I don't trust any of that - it's biased people lying.'

Come on Jeff.

Didn't we say that a million seems to have gone to Kentucky? That hotels are being built to take advantage of the tourists? Our beef is with the whole thing being a monument to a myth, presented as fact, dubious business practices, which were referenced, and that the benefits promised have not materialised, nor have the attendance figures that were hoped for and predicted. All you have done is play the 'you want to see it fail' card. What did you expect?
I just have to be amazed how your side can somehow distort reality. The Ark brought JOBS and MONEY to the economy. Ok, so ticket sales didn't hit the estimate. Ok, so maybe the independent research panel (not Ken) was over optimistic in their estimates. It still hasn't changed the fact that the region is benefiting tremendously from the attraction. That's a fact that your side won't directly dispute so you dance around it. My article shows that the benefits have materialized.

I guess I can only laugh at the ridiculousness of atheists who just hate this park so much that they can't stop bashing it. Meanwhile in the real world, thousands of people have visited and giving the park top rated reviews. Really get over it, people. The park is here to stay.

The sad irony is your side fully supports blocking groups from visiting which brings down ticket sales and then blame Ken Ham solely for the drop in ticket sales.

Old 09-27-2018, 05:25 PM

Quote:
I just have to be amazed how your side can somehow distort reality. The Ark brought JOBS and MONEY to the economy. Ok, so ticket sales didn't hit the estimate. Ok, so maybe the independent research panel (not Ken) was over optimistic in their estimates. It still hasn't changed the fact that the region is benefiting tremendously from the attraction. That's a fact that your side won't directly dispute so you dance around it. My article shows that the benefits have materialized.

I guess I can only laugh at the ridiculousness of atheists who just hate this park so much that they can't stop bashing it. Meanwhile in the real world, thousands of people have visited and giving the park top rated reviews. Really get over it, people. The park is here to stay.

The sad irony is your side fully supports blocking groups from visiting which brings down ticket sales and then blame Ken Ham solely for the drop in ticket sales.
Jeff, even if we accept all you state here, how much repeat business do you think that park will bring? Say, as opposed to the Disney parks, Universal Studios, Knotsberry Farm, etc. etc.

I mean, they are constantly reinventing themselves. I can't see the Noah story changing, can you?

Old 09-27-2018, 05:51 PM

16,677 posts, read 15,680,560 times
Quote:

You say the region is benefiting tremendously. I say the region is benefiting some.

Ratings? Why would you think any significant number of people would attend who do not believe the Ark story is literally true? That would be the type of person who would leave a bad review. There aren't many bad reviews because the people likely to write one probably didn't go.

I'm not in favor of blocking anybody from visiting the park. However, I am very much in favor of supporting the Constitution, the 1st Amendment, and the separation of church and state.

Old 09-27-2018, 06:59 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,737,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Jeff, even if we accept all you state here, how much repeat business do you think that park will bring? Say, as opposed to the Disney parks, Universal Studios, Knotsberry Farm, etc. etc.

I mean, they are constantly reinventing themselves. I can't see the Noah story changing, can you?
The park is constantly in the process of adding new attractions so there are reasons to visit again. I know you would like to think that fundamental Christianity is just a tiny tiny segment of society, but the reality is that we are made up of the largest Christians denominations in America. That's hundreds of Bible believing churches out there. Christian tourism is big business. One only has to look at the success of Branson which is centered around family and Christian type attractions. They run the same shows yet never go belly up.

Old 09-27-2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
The park is constantly in the process of adding new attractions so there are reasons to visit again. I know you would like to think that fundamental Christianity is just a tiny tiny segment of society, but the reality is that we are made up of the largest Christians denominations in America. That's hundreds of Bible believing churches out there. Christian tourism is big business. One only has to look at the success of Branson which is centered around family and Christian type attractions. They run the same shows yet never go belly up.
I hate to tell you, but Branson is going downhill. You really need to reconsider your perspectives:

The Rise and Fall of Branson

Baldknobbers Theatre faces foreclosure sale

It's been declining for some time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality