Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2018, 07:03 AM

7,595 posts, read 6,090,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Ok, but the New Age was new because modern people have so much more access to information. And we have ideas from modern physics and technology that ancients didn't have. Now we can see the similarities between various mystical traditions and religions. Before, people mostly only learned about one.

What I considered good about New Age is its intellectual aspect. Being able to gather all kinds of information and see the patterns.

But, as I said already, there is a lot that is called New Age that I don't identify with any more.
Once when visiting California, I met the husband of a distant friend, a self proclaimed "New Age Guru"
Some quality time spent with this guy showed that he was a self styled "Phony" (ie huckster, fraud, Fake...) Which turned out to be the same with most of his friends....fakes and phonies. Which oddly enough was like most of the populace of my parents church from the pulpit on down....phonies and fakes. Many of the New Age claims, like those of many Christians today, cannot be backed up with facts or proof, and comes down to who is most gullible to follow whoever promises to meet a certain need at that moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 07:14 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,013,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Once when visiting California, I met the husband of a distant friend, a self proclaimed "New Age Guru"
Some quality time spent with this guy showed that he was a self styled "Phony" (ie huckster, fraud, Fake...) Which turned out to be the same with most of his friends....fakes and phonies. Which oddly enough was like most of the populace of my parents church from the pulpit on down....phonies and fakes. Many of the New Age claims, like those of many Christians today, cannot be backed up with facts or proof, and comes down to who is most gullible to follow whoever promises to meet a certain need at that moment.
If you actually believe whatever you are peddling/hanging a shingle is true, you are not a phony nor a faker.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:08 AM

1,402 posts, read 477,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Atheists are unified by only one claim, which is that the do not subscribe to a belief in any God or gods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
And according to your "logic" it is ok to consider all atheist claims silly. Your "logic" presented in earlier post appears to be that claims different from your claims are all equally silly.
Tired of the Nonsense can speak for himself (and does, quite well). I would restate and apply his logic more broadly:

I don't subscribe to a belief that has no evidence to support it.

Thus, I don't believe that there are little green men living on Mars. I don't believe the earth is flat. I don't believe there is a pot of gold hiding at the end of a rainbow. I don't believe in the Tooth Fairy or the Easter Bunny. I don't believe in conspiracy theories that say NASA faked the moon landing. I don't believe in demonic possession. I don't believe in trolls under bridges. I don't believe that Santa has a workshop at the North Pole. I don't believe that the core of the earth is molten chocolate. I don't believe that 9/11 was an inside job. I don't believe that Zeus throws lightning bolts from Mt Olympus, or that Thor's hammer causes thunder. Annnnnd.... I also don't believe in heaven or hell, or the Garden of Eden, or global floods, or the Exodus from Egypt, or resurrection from the dead, or miracle cures, or golden plates buried in Joseph Smith's backyard, or 72 virgins waiting for me in heaven if I blow myself up, or a divine intelligence that created us and watches over us.

There are, of course, lots of things not to believe in! But they are united by one common element.... lack of evidence.

Last edited by HeelaMonster; 10-24-2018 at 08:33 AM..

Old 10-24-2018, 08:23 AM

Some people like anchovies, others do not...who cares?

Old 10-24-2018, 08:27 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Some people like anchovies, others do not...who cares?

Anchovies.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Anchovies.
msp. Anchovy.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:33 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
If you actually believe whatever you are peddling/hanging a shingle is true, you are not a phony nor a faker.
That's a good point. It's rather like the argument that someone who is not telling the truth is not actually a liar, if they believe it to be true. Someone who truly believes in something or other of the New Age stuff should not perhaps be called a Phony or Faker, which should just be reserved from those who don't believe it but just pretend to in order to make money out of those who do.

Possibly a new term could be used for the deluded crackpots who believe this stuff, though we may have a perfectly appropriate term right there.

Old 10-24-2018, 09:25 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,350,704 times
Quote:
Who's asking you to subscribe to such? Or are you simply expressing your disdain for the theist?
I do not subscribe to superstition and supernatural voodoo. That is the province of the religious. Do I have disdain for superstition and supernatural voodoo? Yes, I do.

Old 10-24-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
I do not subscribe to superstition and supernatural voodoo. That is the province of the religious. Do I have disdain for superstition and supernatural voodoo? Yes, I do.
So, your concern is for others who believe in such? Is this because of their rights to vote and reproduce?

Old 10-24-2018, 09:45 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,350,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post

Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense
Atheists are unified by only one claim, which is that they do not subscribe to a belief in any God or gods.

And according to your "logic" it is ok to consider all atheist claims silly. Your "logic" presented in earlier post appears to be that claims different from your claims are all equally silly.

Final line of earlier post=

Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense
....I consider all religious claims to be equally silly, you see.
Atheists consider the story of the corpse that returns to life and flies away; the story of Joshua stopping the rotation of the Earth, the story of Noah and family collecting a mating pair of every species of non aquatic animal from every part of the planet, then containing them in a very large boat and keeping every one of them alive for several months; the story of Jonah riding around in the belly of a large fish for several days; the story in Matthew 27 of hordes of dead people coming up out of their graves and wandering the streets of Jerusalem, as well as many other unrealistic claims contained in the Bible, to be silly. Beyond that, individual atheists may well maintain beliefs which other individual atheists may or may not consider silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality