Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 03:23 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times

Advertisements

Yes. I just watch a lot of speculation going on about the Woo end of particle physics with a few quick snippitts of Bibletext to make sure it stays finding sciencey -sounding God -theories rather than sciencey -sounding science theories doesn't get anywhere, certainly not more than an unproven hypothesis. But for sure, this would be a suitable place for such theories creating God out of virtual particles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 03:30 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,008,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Yes. I just watch a lot of speculation going on about the Woo end of particle physics with a few quick snippitts of Bibletext to make sure it stays finding sciencey -sounding God -theories rather than sciencey -sounding science theories doesn't get anywhere, certainly not more than an unproven hypothesis. But for sure, this would be a suitable place for such theories creating God out of virtual particles.
I'm at loss as to understand where all this emotion is coming from simply because people are seeking answers about life?! If you've found you're truth enjoy!

Old 11-16-2018, 04:21 AM

16,765 posts, read 4,971,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
I'm at loss as to understand where all this emotion is coming from simply because people are seeking answers about life?! If you've found you're truth enjoy!

That is the problem. Many of these people are lying to themselves. They are being sold junk because they want to believe that junk. From creationism to crystal healing.

I am sure you can see some problems that come from those false beliefs.

Old 11-16-2018, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
That is the problem. Many of these people are lying to themselves. They are being sold junk because they want to believe that junk. From creationism to crystal healing.

I am sure you can see some problems that come from those false beliefs.
I'm not around those type people. And I do not attend any church because it tends to be a one-way conversation and because whenever I have had questions in church, it was met with the same sort of suspicion and censorship on display here.

I can't blame fundamentalist for what I've experienced. Those people were nuts on their own. Long story short, around age 12-13, approx 12-1a, I was awakened from a deep sleep and called to the living room. My paternal grandparents and the Head Deacon were gathered in a small circle. When I entered the room the Deacon said "You said they've been teaching we come from monkeys!? Do you believe in God?" Me: "Yes sir." The Deacon "No you do not. Say it. Say you do not believe in God! Say it!" I looked at my grandparents for some help, but they were waiting for me to confess I was a witch, too. I confessed and they allowed me to returned to bed, wondering whether or not I'd just committed some form of blasphemy just to please/escape them.

Old 11-16-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
I'm enjoying the search, rather than any 'knowitall satisfaction'. That I'll leave to Theists who can tell themselves they have All truth through Faith without having to know a damn' thing.

Oh, and of course while shutting out anything that tells then Different. Can be unsettling when we make so much sense. No wonder that the Theiopologist game plan is try to close us down, and if you can't scuttle away saying 'There's no point in talking to the closed -minded!"

Well, we wouldn't say that debating with closed -minded Biblesuckers does us more good than any amount of Atheist propaganda. If you want to call that "Emotion"..well, why not? We are crossword -solving monkeys, not pointy -eared robots..

Old 11-16-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I'm enjoying the search, rather than any 'knowitall satisfaction'. That I'll leave to Theists who can tell themselves they have All truth through Faith without having to know a damn' thing.

Oh, and of course while shutting out anything that tells then Different. Can be unsettling when we make so much sense. No wonder that the Theiopologist game plan is try to close us down, and if you can't scuttle away saying 'There's no point in talking to the closed -minded!"

Well, we wouldn't say that debating with closed -minded Biblesuckers does us more good than any amount of Atheist propaganda.
I'm one poster and I do not represent theism. I would expect a wanna be cult leader to not understand that, but the average person should.

Old 11-16-2018, 06:50 PM

Unlike some who see different kinds of atheists as representing various denomination or sub -creeds within and atheism dogmatic umberella, I take theists as I find them. I don't tell them what their particular take on Theism is; I let them tell me and deal with them accordingly. I try to deal with them fairly with one ear open to the mutterings of the peanut gallery, which serves as the voice of my conscience. Thus theists who post here rather get out of it what they put in.

What this means is that, if thy come out of it with a round of applause for good sound arguments, that it down to their efforts and no credit to their opponent (e.g, me.) if they come out of it looking like an Elephant seal's TV dinner, it is their own fault, not mine.

Old 11-16-2018, 11:21 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,157,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
of course they were based on observation. They had the "how do you know" types and the ever present, omni-present, hemorrhoid like omni-present, "nobody knows for sure." types.

The only way to get these knuckle heads doing something was to yell out "god said so".
Why are they being called knuckle heads? If you want something done, do it yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
That's true. But for some people religion is the only way they are able to attain those things.
It probably has more to do with forming new relationships than religion. Religion just gave the opportunity to form the relationship such as bringing like-minded people together. When you have relationships, you exchange knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality