Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 04:22 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times

Advertisements

The point you seem to be missing is that none of those doctors (even the "religious" ones) seemed to take notice of a text that only religious people valued. They kept it in a shiny leather binding, impressing many friends and family, but never thought once to open it. What a shame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2018, 04:28 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,426,127 times
Not sure I am seeing the point of the thread. At best it is a case of "Even a stopped clock is right twice a day".

At worst though it is shoving words into people's mouths. Who for example is on record - specifically from pre 1800 atheists - as saying the rituals had "no value"?

What some people - then and now - might have said is the religious origins of rituals have no value. And in that they would be correct. But again - the stopped clock effect comes into effect. Some rituals are going to prove later to have value. Others will not.

Even prayer - the nonsense practice of trying to petition some level of action from a being there is no evidence even exists - has some kinds of benefit for example. Not because prayer itself is useful or meaningful - but because it mimics the effects of things like meditation which do have benefits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
My point is that the other extreme is not much better.
And a terrible and evidence free point it would be.

Some extremes are much better than others. As another poster once wrote - if most people were given the option to live beside an Extremist Muslim, an Extremist Christian, or an Extremist Jain - I think we all know which they would generally choose. And why.

Meanwhile the "extreme" religious in our society murder abortion doctors, explode abortion clinics, protest with their religious mantras at funerals, murder cartoonists and journalists - while the most "extreme" atheists appear to do nothing but appear in You Tube Debate Videos and write the occasional books.

So let us not pretend some extremes are not much better than others. Quite the opposite is true in our world.

Quote:
The point you seem to be missing is that none of those doctors (even the "religious" ones) seemed to take notice of a text that only religious people valued. They kept it in a shiny leather binding, impressing many friends and family, but never thought once to open it. What a shame.
Most if not all theists are like this in my experience. Of all the Christians I know - which is quite a few - I can not even name one that has ever owned or held a Bible. Much less read it. Hell most of them when asked appear to massively underestimate it's size and length. They do not even appear to have a _general_ sense of how big a text it is. And that experience is born out in research too where recent studies showed Atheists had more knowledge about many religious texts than the adherents to the religion themselves. Not a great showing by you people. No wonder you can not - even when asked directly and explicitly - come up with a _shred_ of evidence for the existence of your god.

Old 11-09-2018, 04:31 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
So you think there was not one "religious" (by your definition) doctor who ever read Leviticus at least once? If they did they never made the connection.

Score.
Not really. Presumably they read the medical stuff in the Bible that was just unbelievable, and that apparently never shook their faith. They read the Leviticus -stuff and skipped over it. Or perhaps said "That's advanced medical knowledge - could only have come from God". It's like those who claim science in the Bible - they would have to ignore all the non -science in the Bible.

It's like Momentus says -they have a ritual practice that turn out to have some medical value. Lucky coincidence. And that it happens to be good advice coincidentally doesn't really give the Bible any particular value.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 11-09-2018 at 04:39 AM..

Old 11-09-2018, 04:48 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,011,213 times
Quote:
What do you think about the sanitary "laws" found in Leviticus 15, particularly in regards to medical sanitation? What does it say about religious skeptics?

It's very sad to me (VERY sad) that it was not until the 1800's that the Germ Theory of Disease began in the medical world. To me, this is a profound blow against all atheists in the medical community, to their shame. They never even considered these rituals as having value before that time. Really?

I believe the origin of these ritual cleansings was probably based on observation. These things had such value to the ancient people that they regarded them as divinely inspired. Maybe they were. Before anyone ridicules the seemingly arbitrary rules and timeframes, consider that doctors today might still use arbitrary times (such as 7 days) to quarantine a person until the next checkup.

Unfortunately, the only people who valued these rituals were the same ones who believed in God. What does that say about religious believers versus religious skeptics? Could centuries, or maybe even *millennia* of medical science been advanced if they had given more serious consideration to the ancient scriptures?
Who cares? Let's evaluate the Laws for truthiness.

Old 11-09-2018, 05:04 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times
Maybe the reason the church persecuted scientists in the past is because there were some very stupid Fundamentalist skeptics (just like today) who criticized every theistic idea. We never really hear the full story, only biased people's opinions. I'm ready to accept the fact that, just like today, Fundamentalist atheists of the past ruined things for everyone else as much as any evil church powers.

Old 11-09-2018, 05:31 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Deary me. We have debunked your point so you have a sulky swipe at atheists. You are not doing your case much good like that.

Old 11-09-2018, 08:00 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
Not sure I am seeing the point of the thread.
It's the same point as the point of every other thread he starts... to attempt to blacken atheists and atheism. Unfortunately for him, just like every other thread he starts, his MO is exposed on the first page and then he get's beaten to a pulp. Then he abandons the thred and starts another 'I hate atheists' rant.

Old 11-09-2018, 08:31 AM

16,777 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
How can I have missed the point that I explained to you, that religious* people ALSO missed this? And I explained this to you because you used this to attack atheism once again, as if we are guilty for what religious people were also ignorant of.

Because that is what you do, you use some stupid (often a straw man) argument to attack atheism. Because your faith in your religion is not strong. And that is your problem, not ours.

* who are the "religious" people? Or are you really arguing Muslims, Christians, Taoists, Buddhists, ect are not really religious, only the Jews are?

Old 11-09-2018, 08:38 AM

16,777 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
Maybe the reason the church persecuted scientists in the past is because there were some very stupid Fundamentalist skeptics (just like today) who criticized every theistic idea. We never really hear the full story, only biased people's opinions.
Or maybe the earth really did go round the sun.

Quote:
I'm ready to accept the fact that, just like today, Fundamentalist atheists of the past ruined things for everyone else as much as any evil church powers.
First, atheism was often illegal in Christian countries. So how would you know if it was atheists who ruined anything?

Second, you may be fine with gays being stoned, your country being dragged back to the middle ages, and living in a theocracy, but I am not. Sorry to ruin that for you.

Old 11-09-2018, 11:57 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
What do you think about the sanitary "laws" found in Leviticus 15, particularly in regards to medical sanitation? What does it say about religious skeptics?

It's very sad to me (VERY sad) that it was not until the 1800's that the Germ Theory of Disease began in the medical world. To me, this is a profound blow against all atheists in the medical community, to their shame. They never even considered these rituals as having value before that time. Really?

I believe the origin of these ritual cleansings was probably based on observation. These things had such value to the ancient people that they regarded them as divinely inspired. Maybe they were. Before anyone ridicules the seemingly arbitrary rules and timeframes, consider that doctors today might still use arbitrary times (such as 7 days) to quarantine a person until the next checkup.

Unfortunately, the only people who valued these rituals were the same ones who believed in God. What does that say about religious believers versus religious skeptics? Could centuries, or maybe even *millennia* of medical science been advanced if they had given more serious consideration to the ancient scriptures?
of course they were based on observation. They had the "how do you know" types and the ever present, omni-present, hemorrhoid like omni-present, "nobody knows for sure." types.

The only way to get these knuckle heads doing something was to yell out "god said so".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality