Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 07:17 AM

16,784 posts, read 4,989,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I think that atheism is an unexplained psychological condition, just as you may think that about religious fundamentalism.
We treat your religious claims as you treat others. So we are the ones being consistent. Which suggests it is your beliefs that are a psychological condition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018, 09:52 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,013,181 times
Has anyone found any of the Levitical Laws invalid?

Old 11-11-2018, 11:32 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,870,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Any chance of you responding to others that answer your posts? Post #45 for example.
It's crazy for anyone to equate going to church with taking hard drugs like heroin. It's a stupid and insane analogy. There's my answer.

Is that the answer you were looking for? Because I had preferred to keep silent on my opinion of your question until you insisted I answer.

Old 11-11-2018, 12:21 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Has anyone found any of the Levitical Laws invalid?
Of course. Medically/scientifcally? There is no scientific validity in a huge number of Levitical laws. I never got cancer from forgetting to bring fruit to a priest or mixing my clothing fibers.

Old 11-11-2018, 12:32 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,266,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Of course. Medically/scientifcally? There is no scientific validity in a huge number of Levitical laws. I never got cancer from forgetting to bring fruit to a priest or mixing my clothing fibers.
Where does the text mention cancer?

Old 11-11-2018, 12:38 PM

3,636 posts, read 3,427,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
I think you are reading the sentence too literally. Cancer is just a hyperbolic example for comic effect I think. Not a claim that cancer was literally in the text.

What the user is saying is that the OP appears to be cherry picking ritual that turn out in retrospect to have beneficial medical effects. While ignoring all the ones that do not. And he is saying that by pointing out that failing to stick to certain rituals has had no detrimental effect on his health.

The OP is trying to manufacture the idea that the Biblical text hides medical wisdom by simply cherry picking out a _tiny minority_ of rituals that coincidence with medical well being out of a large collection of those that do not.

Old 11-11-2018, 12:46 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
I think that atheism is an unexplained psychological condition, just as you may think that about religious fundamentalism. So to hear an atheist say that one day everyone will be atheist sounds crazy. Primates, like giraffes or kittens, are not able to understand everything about the universe, and therefore it is impossible for religion to just disappear.
Foolish. You may as well say that the scientific method is a psychological condition and that it will never eradicate human superstition. It has already done so, and atheism is really just 'science' (so to speak) applied to the single matter of the God -question. Science has a lot more Mojo today than Jesus has, even to the extent that you have to try to find medical science in the Bible to try to validate it.

You may not be able to put aside your palpable back to front thinking based on Faith in Christianity (it is pretty clear) even though you know there is no valid reason to believe it, even if you can find a Church that teaches it (you already walked out of one) and in fact we don't see why you should.

We understand very well that you find inspiration, solace, or some kind of mental toss -off in Christianity and rummage through the Gospels (and even the OT if nothing else will serve) to try to find something that even LOOKS like the truths that we all live by and which have more to do with science and humanism than with Christianity, and make it look like that rapidly vanishing evidence for Christianity that you know you really need, as Faith just won't really do.

We understand that and accept it. But that will not do for you and your ilk. You fear that we are going to rip down the curtain that shows the wizard for what he really is - a grabbing little exploiter leaching off the deluded populace. You fear that we are exposing the Big Lie that you learned to love. And thus you attack us.

If you and you increasingly evident Kind did not, we would have nothing to argue about.

Old 11-11-2018, 03:21 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
The text doesn't. It is the OP's assertion that ignoring the Levitical laws held back medical/scientific advancements, perhaps by "thousands of years." Therefore I was answering the question based on that.

I have not noticed medical drawbacks, threats to my personal health, or an excess of germs from not personally giving priests fruit.

Old 11-11-2018, 04:03 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,069,223 times
Quote:
What do you think about the sanitary "laws" found in Leviticus 15, particularly in regards to medical sanitation? What does it say about religious skeptics?

It's very sad to me (VERY sad) that it was not until the 1800's that the Germ Theory of Disease began in the medical world. To me, this is a profound blow against all atheists in the medical community, to their shame. They never even considered these rituals as having value before that time. Really?

I believe the origin of these ritual cleansings was probably based on observation. These things had such value to the ancient people that they regarded them as divinely inspired. Maybe they were. Before anyone ridicules the seemingly arbitrary rules and timeframes, consider that doctors today might still use arbitrary times (such as 7 days) to quarantine a person until the next checkup.

Unfortunately, the only people who valued these rituals were the same ones who believed in God. What does that say about religious believers versus religious skeptics? Could centuries, or maybe even *millennia* of medical science been advanced if they had given more serious consideration to the ancient scriptures?
Pagans, that is polytheists, had cleansing and "clean death" rituals as well.

Perhaps you remember a place called Babylon, or another one called Egypt? What about Persia? How "interesting" and "inspired" that some primitive atheist societies believe in cooking food before eating it. Or even how "the very helpful gods" might have "sort of hinted" that it's important to not eat rotten fruit unless rotted properly (fermented).

Now, if you religiously believe in the four humors, what use other than another superstition would it be to wash your hands, face, and feet?

Old 11-11-2018, 04:57 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,266,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
The text doesn't. It is the OP's assertion that ignoring the Levitical laws held back medical/scientific advancements, perhaps by "thousands of years." Therefore I was answering the question based on that.

I have not noticed medical drawbacks, threats to my personal health, or an excess of germs from not personally giving priests fruit.
Then color me confused. I admit, I'm having trouble following the argument. Ignoring laws that were given to one small population, and which are not able to be abided by currently would hold back medical advances? These laws have nothing to do with personal health, whether or not they are followed. I'll tap out and let people who can follow this argue about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality