Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 10:00 AM

50,840 posts, read 24,359,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
I think it doesn’t matter if I admit or not, the dictionary already told you what’s the meaning of (religious) faith”.

So, if “faith” is based on evidence then it’s not “faith” anymore as it does not meet the very definition of “faith” per the dictionary.

Now that you, hopefully, learned the MEANINGS of the word “faith” , you won’t demand evidence when someone says he has faith in God, BECAUSE faith is NOT based on evidence.
And yet quite a few faithers on this forum claim just the opposite. In FACT, this thread does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
Exactly. Faith gets the Muslim, Jew, Christian and Mormon to believe divergent things. Faith is a lousy way to strive towards truth.
Or take my hometown. Within a block are methodist, presbyterian, baptist, catholic, and episcopal churches. They are so far apart in their christian beliefs that have to build separate buildings because they can't sit down and worship together.

Old 12-24-2018, 11:08 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,872,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Or take my hometown. Within a block are methodist, presbyterian, baptist, catholic, and episcopal churches. They are so far apart in their christian beliefs that have to build separate buildings because they can't sit down and worship together.
That is such a loaded comment. Do you really believe that?

I feel like if they were all the same denomination you would criticize that also.

Old 12-24-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
That is such a loaded comment. Do you really believe that?

I feel like if they were all the same denomination you would criticize that also.
YES, I REALLY BELIEVE THAT. 5 separate massive buildings, empty most of the week, and they can't even pray together on Sunday.

Old 12-24-2018, 03:24 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,090,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
its alot here, lets keep it simple, giveth and taketh.

word of caution, I do not tell anybody that blind (religious) faith is acceptable in any way shape or form. I only use what we know to describe those we don't know. I tell everybody, if it doesn't match regular commonsense and reason don't believe it.

Frankly, I will be using how you point to a definition of blind faith and how you deploy it to reach conclusion as an example of what to be aware of when I about it. And you are right. My observation based faith produced cell phones. blind faith produced very little past self help stuff. for me, its about how you believe, not what you believe.

also, "nobody knows". I do hope that you can just say "nobody knows for now" and do not say "nobody knows so it must be god". I mean, if nobody knows how do we insert "its god" when we don't know?

back to topic ...

giveth and taketh away what?
Before we move any further, lets very briefly touch this "blind faith" thingy.

In your understanding, what exactly does it mean when we used the term "blind faith" in a theological discussion?

Old 12-24-2018, 05:42 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
No.
Because ,what you rather need is try to understand the very basic English vocabulary before we even move forward.

Open a dictionary and find the meaning of "Faith".

Here is one.

"Belief that is not based on proof"

There is no more argument left after this. BECAUSE, faith does NOT require proof - AND - if you don't need proof then you don't run after "data" either. How hard is is to understand?

But yes, what you CAN do is to take it up with all the dictionaries in the world, and request them to remove the word "Faith" from the dictionary because there is no such thing exist.
"belief not based on proof" ... thats blind faith.

"BECAUSE, faith does NOT require proof" ... blind faith.

My faith is observational based "faith". i use measuring and calculation, along with common sense, to say that humans are in a system of life. Thats the god you think you know.

Old 12-24-2018, 05:44 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
oh my bad ...

merry christmas GoC. and to all the believers, merry what ever holiday you celebrate..

to non believers ... enjoy the lights. i love the lights.

Old 12-24-2018, 09:10 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,872,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
oh my bad ...

merry christmas GoC. and to all the believers, merry what ever holiday you celebrate..

to non believers ... enjoy the lights. i love the lights.
You should get a job writing greeting cards.

Old 12-24-2018, 11:31 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,865,041 times
Quote:
Now that you, hopefully, learned the MEANINGS of the word “faith” , you won’t demand evidence when someone says he has faith in God, BECAUSE faith is NOT based on evidence.
Yes...that's the whole point. Believing that something is true when there is no verifiable evidence that it is and, in many cases of god belief, verifiable evidence that it is not true is illogical because it is something you would never, ever do in any other aspect of your daily life.

I'd love to see your reaction if I knocked on your door and asked you for $1000, with the promise that I would return some time in the future and give you $10,000. I guarantee that the first thing you would ask me for is verifiable evidence that what I promised was true - and if I said that I didn't have such evidence and that you would just have to have faith that I'd return, you would wish me good day and close the door right? Yet with your god belief, the scenario above is exactly what you are doing.

Last edited by Rafius; 12-24-2018 at 11:42 PM..

Old 12-25-2018, 01:31 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,762,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
As I have sad before, if this god exists, it is one lousy communicator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality