Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2018, 10:21 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,090,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post

Not exactly. You fail to take into account those believers who, even when presented with verifiable evidence, still prefer to believe on 'faith'.
Wait a minute.
Are you saying you have a verifiable evidence that God does not exist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
You seem to think that is a good thing. Can you explain why there is not one other thing in your daily life where you use faith rather than evidence when questioning whether or not something is true?
Actually this goes on you.

Tell me what's this?

You probably don't know.

So next time when you have a headache, place the pill under a scientific microscope and verify with the evidence that it's actually ibuprofen before popping it in your mouth. The above image will help you.

But then again, you probably don't have the qualification to even know how to verify the structure of ibuprofen from an image to what's under the microscope - do you?

Now, don't come back and tell me that you trust the scientific generals and research, and FDA and whatever - because then, you will be using FAITH on what that wrapper says with what's inside the packet. Otherwise, how would you know it's not poison?

Now you may come back and say, I have "data" - which is, I have used headache pills 100's of times and it has worked most of the time.
IMO, this "data" is not a "verifiable evidence" that what's inside the wrapper is not poison - unless I am qualified to put the pill under the microscope and verify it with my own knowledge that the chemical compound of the pill is of ibuprofen.

You should not use any medication at all unless you verify the evidence of what's inside the packet is ACTUALLY what's written on the label.

It's not me, it's actually YOU who use faith (no religious type) many, many times a day. You do A LOT of things by putting your FAITH on someone else's words and their claims.

Last edited by GoCardinals; 12-22-2018 at 10:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2018, 10:25 AM

23,165 posts, read 10,459,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Wonderful guts to state your belief so clearly ...I mean where you could be mocked or
attacked... Good for you!
I keep trying to tell people that it is a set and appointed plan to walk in, from dying daily in Passover to studying everyday in Pentecost in order to recieve the rain of Pentecost, but not the power of Pentecost, it just doesn't work like people think it works. I am now waiting on the second rain where the first was already appointed to come and then go away as it does every season. The first rain was designed to go away and thus a need for the second rain.

Old 12-22-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
Do you see the problem we have with "... I am a believer in the existence of God by faith. And I don’t need any proof...."

why not be apologetic in nature?

apologetics gets a bad name, but if you look at who deployed it, it becomes clear that they are only atheist fundy sects. Apologetics just means, in a simple form, change a belief based on "data".

can you list some traits of your god that matches the standard model?
No.
Because ,what you rather need is try to understand the very basic English vocabulary before we even move forward.

Open a dictionary and find the meaning of "Faith".

Here is one.

"Belief that is not based on proof"

There is no more argument left after this. BECAUSE, faith does NOT require proof - AND - if you don't need proof then you don't run after "data" either. How hard is is to understand?

But yes, what you CAN do is to take it up with all the dictionaries in the world, and request them to remove the word "Faith" from the dictionary because there is no such thing exist.

Last edited by GoCardinals; 12-22-2018 at 10:45 AM..

Old 12-22-2018, 10:45 AM

16,784 posts, read 4,989,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Wait a minute.

Tell me what's this?

You probably don't know.

So next time when you have a headache, place the pill under a scientific microscope and verify with the evidence that it's actually ibuprofen before popping it in your mouth. The above image will help you.

But then again, you probably don't have the qualification to even know how to verify the structure of ibuprofen from an image to what's under the microscope - do you?

Now, don't come back and tell me that you trust the scientific generals and research, and FDA and whatever - because then, you will be using FAITH on what that wrapper says with what's inside the packet. Otherwise, how would you know it's not poison?

Now you may come back and say, I have "data" - which is, I have used headache pills 100's of times and it has worked most of the time.
IMO, this "data" is not a "verifiable evidence" that what's inside the wrapper is not poison - unless I am qualified to put the pill under the microscope and verify it with my own knowledge that the chemical compound of the pill is of ibuprofen.

You should not use any medication at all unless you verify the evidence of what's inside the packet is ACTUALLY what's written on the label.

It's not me, it's actually YOU who use faith (no religious type) many, many times a day. You do A LOT of things by putting your FAITH on someone else's words and their claims.
Once again you confuse faith with probability.

Old 12-22-2018, 10:46 AM

16,784 posts, read 4,989,284 times
Quote:
No.
Because ,what you rather need is try to understand the very basic English vocabulary before we even move forward.

Open a dictionary and find the meaning of "Faith".

Here is one.

"Belief that is not based on proof"

There is no more argument left after this. BECAUSE, faith does NOT require proof - AND - if you don't need proof then you don't run after "data" either. How hard is is to understand?

But yes, what you CAN do is to take it up with all the dictionaries in the world, and request them to remove the word "Faith" from the dictionary because there is no such thing exist.
You could follow your own advice and look up evidence.

Old 12-22-2018, 12:15 PM

1,402 posts, read 477,888 times
Quote:
Wait a minute.

Tell me what's this?

You probably don't know.

Oh c'mon... that's a horrible example, and a failed analogy.

I do have the qualifications to put that pill under the microscope (or more accurately, run it through the chromatography and spectrometry) to confirm its chemical composition. But more to the point, there are thousands of people who have those qualifications and equipment, and there are rigorous processes in place to oversee the quality of that ibuprofen. There are clinical trials to confirm desired results and assess side effects, production checks and rechecks, regulatory submissions, independent analyses, etc, etc, etc. An entire federal agency to make sure those things happen. There are MANY reasons to have high confidence that what's inside is what's on the label, and that it will work as advertised. And that's all before you get to your own personal experience with the product in question (which, as you've said, is extensive and consistent).

By contrast, there is NONE of that in place for the "pil" in which you choose to place faith. No evidence of truthiness, no quality control, no single person who can actually confirm it even exists, much less works as advertised.

The former is a very good bet (probability, per Harry), based on massive amounts of evidence. The latter is blind faith, in the complete absence of evidence.

Merry Christmas.

Last edited by HeelaMonster; 12-22-2018 at 12:38 PM..

Old 12-22-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
Oh c'mon... that's a horrible example, and a failed analogy.

I do have the qualifications to put that pill under the microscope (or more accurately, run it through the chromatography and spectrometry) to confirm its chemical composition.

But more to the point, there are thousands of people who have those qualifications and equipment, and there are rigorous processes in place to oversee the quality of that ibuprofen. There are clinical trials to confirm desired results and assess side effects, production checks and rechecks, regulatory submissions, independent analyses, etc, etc, etc. An entire federal agency to make sure those things happen. There are MANY reasons to have high confidence that what's inside is what's on the label, and that it will work as advertised.

By contrast, there is NONE of that in place for the "pil" in which you choose to place faith. No evidence of truthiness, no quality control, no single person who can actually confirm it even exists, much less works as advertised.

The former is a very good bet (probability, per Harry), based on massive amounts of evidence. The latter is blind faith, in the complete absence of evidence.

Merry Christmas.
Again, you are putting faith in someone else’s work - and that’s not a proof.

Old 12-22-2018, 01:32 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,761,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
How convenient that you forgot to mention that: "Harrod said the now 11-year-old went through weeks of radiation".

Nevertheless, it could be a miracle by Zeus or one of the other gods.
LOL..Jeff doesn't care about details. If he cared about details, he might not hold onto that delusional belief system of his. The next time I get a headache, I'm going to take an aspirin and pray to Zeus. I will let you guys know how that goes. If the headache disappears, I think we can all agree that Zeus is the only possible explanation for the headache going away and we can start to accept Zeus as our personal lord and savior. Stay tuned guys, I don't often get headaches, so it might be awhile before I have results from my headache testimony to the supreme power of Zeus. As a side note, Jeff seriously seems to lack a mind and brain that has the necessary attributes of a scientific method type of critical thinker. I think gullibility might be an issue also.

Old 12-22-2018, 03:02 PM

1,402 posts, read 477,888 times
Quote:
Again, you are putting faith in someone else’s work - and that’s not a proof.
And again, you are conflating proof with evidence. No one is asking for "proof" or 100% guarantees." I also don't see anyone saying "if it's not my work, it doesn't count" (other than you).

Most would settle for just a smidgen of evidence. In the meantime, zero evidence doesn't give anyone much to go on.

Old 12-22-2018, 03:59 PM

11,025 posts, read 5,991,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
LOL..Jeff doesn't care about details. If he cared about details, he might not hold onto that delusional belief system of his. The next time I get a headache, I'm going to take an aspirin and pray to Zeus. I will let you guys know how that goes. If the headache disappears, I think we can all agree that Zeus is the only possible explanation for the headache going away and we can start to accept Zeus as our personal lord and savior. Stay tuned guys, I don't often get headaches, so it might be awhile before I have results from my headache testimony to the supreme power of Zeus. As a side note, Jeff seriously seems to lack a mind and brain that has the necessary attributes of a scientific method type of critical thinker. I think gullibility might be an issue also.
Or you could just lie for Zeus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Once again you confuse faith with probability.
Or faith with confidence.

I do that - I use the word 'faith' when I actually mean I have confidence or the probability is high.

How is it possible to believe something without evidence? It does not compute.

Last edited by 303Guy; 12-22-2018 at 04:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality