Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2023, 12:17 PM

50,831 posts, read 24,335,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The author of Matthew put those words in Jesus's mouth because he did not understand the nuance of the "state of mind" we are to be in to be guided by the Holy Spirit. A lusting state of mind is NOT compatible with the Holy Spirit, that's all it means. This nonsense that sin is an offense against God is primitive ignorance. It is just being in the wrong state of mind because that is what determines what kind of Spirit you are actually BECOMING.
Jesus told you that? Or were you there at the time and overheard that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2023, 12:17 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The author of Matthew put those words in Jesus's mouth because he did not understand the nuance of the "state of mind" we are to be in to be guided by the Holy Spirit. A lusting state of mind is NOT compatible with the Holy Spirit, that's all it means. This nonsense that sin is an offense against God is primitive ignorance. It is just being in the wrong state of mind because that is what determines what kind of Spirit you are actually BECOMING.
Maybe, or maybe the words were meant to have people look inward instead of pointing at the next person.

You can elect not to commit adultery and decide that means you're such a great person and other people are evil. Or you can realize that you feel the same way and have the same struggles as anyone else.

Old 02-16-2023, 06:38 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,342,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Maybe, or maybe the words were meant to have people look inward instead of pointing at the next person.

You can elect not to commit adultery and decide that means you're such a great person and other people are evil. Or you can realize that you feel the same way and have the same struggles as anyone else.
Or, once I'm exposed to a Love that I'd never before experienced, came to realize how much lust disturbs that Love.

It's not about sin, it's about Love !

Old 02-16-2023, 07:51 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Or, once I'm exposed to a Love that I'd never before experienced, came to realize how much lust disturbs that Love.

Nice!

Old 02-17-2023, 09:20 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,928,456 times
Quote:

It's okay to lust a little. You're only human. Evolution gave you that lust so you could mate with the best out there. It's called "survival of the fittest". It's why we've survived for a million years. Without lust we as a species would have died out before we got out the gate.

Old 02-17-2023, 09:28 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
It's okay to lust a little. You're only human. Evolution gave you that lust so you could mate with the best out there. It's called "survival of the fittest". It's why we've survived for a million years. Without lust we as a species would have died out before we got out the gate.
I agree with this, and from a religious POV at that. God gave us lust for a reason - actually, a number of reasons, and those reasons are definitely not all bad. Far from it.

Old 02-17-2023, 09:46 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,928,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I agree with this, and from a religious POV at that. God gave us lust for a reason - actually, a number of reasons, and those reasons are definitely not all bad. Far from it.

An enlightened Christian! Think of it! Too bad I can't say the same about the rest.

Old 02-18-2023, 07:57 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,324,939 times
Quote:

How can it be about love when you've subscribed to a religion that says everyone who does not bow down to your god should be tortured forever?

That's not love. That's jealousy followed up by an unhealthy dose of vengeance.

And certainly not one ounce of forgiveness.

It just fries my brain trying to figure out how the evil nastiness laid bare in the Bible is still construed as somehow "good" and "fair" and "just." And a god who rampaged across the Middle East murdering and killing and committing genocide is the font of wisdom and morality!!

.... How?

Oh I know ... because he's God, right? The most potent form of kool-aid there is. Get people to believe that God is literally above morality and he can be the most evil creep ever documented and somehow he's still perfectly good.

It's exasperating.

Old 02-18-2023, 08:18 AM

492 posts, read 144,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
How can it be about love when you've subscribed to a religion that says everyone who does not bow down to your god should be tortured forever?

It just fries my brain trying to figure out how the evil nastiness laid bare in the Bible is still construed as somehow "good" and "fair" and "just." And a god who rampaged across the Middle East murdering and killing and committing genocide is the font of wisdom and morality!!

.... How?

Oh I know ... because he's God, right? The most potent form of kool-aid there is. Get people to believe that God is literally above morality and he can be the most evil creep ever documented and somehow he's still perfectly good.

It's exasperating.
God is the owner and Landlord of this whole planet. It is his not ours. We are all tenants. God also has feelings. Love, jealousy ,anger, patience, longsuffering, mercy, kindness and wrath.

The evil nastiness that fries your brain is punishment that comes from disobedience to God. God creates evil and uses it by proxy for punishment on Nations and folks that do evil. The reap what they sow. Just like we all do.

Just Look at the Evil now in America. America has been turned over to Evil. God delivers from evil and he also delivers to Evil. You seem angry and grieved that their is a God who runs the whole show. We all will die and will face him one day. Regardless of what you think, feel or believe.

Try not to be a God Hater which is so prevalent at this present day.

Old 02-18-2023, 08:41 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,342,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post

.... How?

It's exasperating.
I'm unfamiliar with the " god " you speak of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality