Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2008, 03:24 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Oh crap...Another apologetics link...The whales probably were congregated on their calving grounds when some natural event took place such as a major volcanic eruption. Grey Whales today migrate and congregate in the shallow lagoons of the Baja to have and raise their calves.

Google wasn't working for me this am, but it is now, and I found out what caused the rapid burial of those whale fossils...No It was not Noah's flood, but thanks for bringing the subject up Campbell....I love learning, particularly about science.

The well-preserved whales indicate rapid burial. The 346 whales within 1.5 km2 of surveyed surface were not buried as an event, but were distributed uninterrupted through an 80-m-thick sedimentary section. The diatomaceous sediment lacks repeating primary laminations, but instead is mostly massive, with irregular laminations and speckles. There is no evidence for bioturbation by invertebrates in the whale-bearing sediment. Current depositional models do not account for the volume of diatomaceous sediments or the taphonomic features of the whales. These taphonomic and sedimentary features suggest that rapid burial due to high diatom accumulation, in part by lateral advection into protected, shallow embayments, is responsible for the superb preservation of these whales, leading to a higher upper limit on phytoplankton accumulation rates than previously documented.

Fossil whale preservation implies high diatom accumulation rate in the Miocene-Pliocene Pisco Formation of Peru -- Brand et al. 32 (2): 165 -- Geology
You explain things much, much better than I can Thanks for all the info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 04:37 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,032,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
No, it doesent automatically suggest a worldwide flood, and yet it does not ruel out a catastrophic flood either.
...Although the "lack of dissolution due to shallow water" suggests that it did not happen during a flood.
Quote:
And another thing to consider, is why do we find so many other large fossils that have been presevered around the world? So many larger fossils exist today, and for them to exist, it would require a quick burial as well. Why do we see so many intact fossils all over the Globe as if frozen in time? If nature had taken a normal course, most of there bones would of been scattered long ago.
This is true. Nature did take its course, and most bones have been scattered long ago, as well as destroyed. The fossils we do find are rarities because they did need a quick burial, or some way to preserve them. This happens many different ways. Imagine how cluttered our ground would be with animal remains if none of them decomposed. Imagine if all the prehistoric animals including dinosaurs lived only 6 thousand years ago, and didn't have 65+ million years to decompose back into the earth. Well we wouldn't have fossil fuels, for one thing.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:50 PM

418 posts, read 708,445 times
Quote:
Well, I thought we were talking about Noahs Ark, not a dinghy. And the pictures from space, and the eyewitiness accounts are speaking about an object the size of a ship, not a dinghy.
And I choose not to believe Evolution, because the Theory lacks evidence. The Theory rest more on speculation, assumptions, and artistic drawings. Where as the Bibles truth is being proven by historical discovery, and prophecies than can physically be viewed as factual. It is factual information that science is about. Science should never be reduced to assumptions, that rest near the edges of myth.
You claim to have invalidated Evolution with an apparent lack of expertise in the field or life's work in science. You are presented with evidence which you promptly ignore.

It is pointless to debate science with one who believes in talking donkeys and talking serpents.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:33 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,971,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJLethal View Post
You claim to have invalidated Evolution with an apparent lack of expertise in the field or life's work in science. You are presented with evidence which you promptly ignore.

It is pointless to debate science with one who believes in talking donkeys and talking serpents.
Well, perhaps you did not notice, but much of the information I present here comes from other scientist.
And the real problem here, is I tend to look at the obvious and agree with it. I would also point out, that even believers in Evolution will tell you that the large dinosaurs that we see in fossil record today across the globe required quick burial. Now believers in Evolution will tell you this all happened because of local flooding. Christians will tell you, this was because of a global flood. And it is the stories of a global flood that is supported in over 200 oral traditions. And as I said before, God once sent a ballon to me to tell me He loved me, so God can use whatever he wants to deliever His message. It is your lack of knowledge of God, and of His supernatural abilities which limits your understanding.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:09 PM

33,542 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Campbell...I really think you do not understand what quick burial means in the field of paleontology. It does not in most cases mean instant burial. In the case of the whales they were buried with diatoms...That would take hundreds of years...Relatively quick compared to the age of the earth.
You would do well to get your information from legitimate sources rather than creationist sites where there is no unbiased science at all.

Old 11-14-2008, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Well, perhaps you did not notice, but much of the information I present here comes from other scientist.
And the real problem here, is I tend to look at the obvious and agree with it. I would also point out, that even believers in Evolution will tell you that the large dinosaurs that we see in fossil record today across the globe required quick burial. Now believers in Evolution will tell you this all happened because of local flooding. Christians will tell you, this was because of a global flood. And it is the stories of a global flood that is supported in over 200 oral traditions. And as I said before, God once sent a ballon to me to tell me He loved me, so God can use whatever he wants to deliever His message. It is your lack of knowledge of God, and of His supernatural abilities which limits your understanding.
Yeah, that's the problem. god hasn't sent me any love balloons and I'm rebelling.

Forget science right, we have primitive oral traditions and biblical magic. All is well.

Campbell, I'll keep my eyes open for those love balloons and any divine skywriting.

Old 11-15-2008, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJLethal View Post
Yeah, that's the problem. god hasn't sent me any love balloons and I'm rebelling.

Forget science right, we have primitive oral traditions and biblical magic. All is well.

Campbell, I'll keep my eyes open for those love balloons and any divine skywriting.
Long before God sent me that balloon, I first showed my love and desire to know God first, it was after that when He started to show me in countless experiences His reality. I suspect all you have shown God to date is your rebellion. That's why Jesus said in His Scriptures, ''if you
seek me with all your heart, with all your mind, and with all your soul you will surely find me. God's not looking for the rebellious, He is looking for those who seek Him.

Old 11-15-2008, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Campbell...I really think you do not understand what quick burial means in the field of paleontology. It does not in most cases mean instant burial. In the case of the whales they were buried with diatoms...That would take hundreds of years...Relatively quick compared to the age of the earth.
You would do well to get your information from legitimate sources rather than creationist sites where there is no unbiased science at all.
Samspeur, I am not just talking about whales here, I'm talking about large dinosaurs all over the globe. And unless there is a quick burial, we would not see them in such wonderfullly presevered condition in the fossil record. If you consider what happens to most animals today when they die, you would understand that most of them are eaten by other animals long before they could even begin the fossil process. Large dinosaurs could not remain for months or years waiting to be covered. Quick burial is is necessary in order to have such well presevered fossils today.

Old 11-15-2008, 10:06 AM

33,542 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Fossil Preservation Lab (http://facstaff.gpc.edu/~pgore/geology/historical_lab/preservationlab.php - broken link)

Old 11-15-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Long before God sent me that balloon, I first showed my love and desire to know God first, it was after that when He started to show me in countless experiences His reality. I suspect all you have shown God to date is your rebellion. That's why Jesus said in His Scriptures, ''if you
seek me with all your heart, with all your mind, and with all your soul you will surely find me. God's not looking for the rebellious, He is looking for those who seek Him.
As I mentioned before, I would be overjoyed to hang out with sky gods if they were real. I would also like to see werewolves, dragons, unicorns...you name it.

The fact that biblegod is invisible, and only manifests himself if you convince yourself he is real says more about the psychology of believers than it does about the reality of biblegod.

If ever sky gods, werewolves, dragons and unicorns become measurably real, I'd be happy to discuss the realities of such, and take your love balloon story under further consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality