Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2008, 08:17 AM

418 posts, read 708,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Well they spent 100 years trying to validate Evolution and still can't do it. I would suggest they stop beating a dead horse. On the other hand, men who based science on Scriptural understandings have been rewarded with new insite into science and correct theories. However, if you oppose the Bible, I can understand why you would ignore those facts.
Who is "they?" Most of the rest of the world accepts Evolution as fact Campbell. The holdouts are predominantly Fundamentalist Christians. The reason? Because Evolution conflicts with a literal interpretation of the bible. That is also why most Fundamentalists don't accept Climate Change as a human-contributed phenomenon.

Most Fundamentalists are skeptical of science. When science corrects an incorrect bible on a daily basis, it's understandable. Like the jungle tribes reluctant to come out of the forest while a metropolis is being built around them, you have retreated into your forest of bible fiction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 08:28 AM

Quote:
I have been to TalkOrigins many times. Yet I know what they believe, I'm asking you, why do you believe in Evolution?
And please don't tell me you believe in Evolution, and then tell me to read this article and they will explain to me what you think you believe.
It is because I have an open mind, that I can give you reasons for what I believe. And those reasons are factual, and cannot be dismissed. Yet such facts are dismissed all the time by sites like TalkOrigins, because their belief in the Theory of Evolution far out weights the facts. To believe in Evolution requires the ability to see facts that outright rufutes the Theory, and then have the ability to filter out those facts. Once you have fully imbraced the Theory, you then can continue down a path that only leads you farther away from the truth. And when more facts appear that refutes the Theory, you put your spin on that evidence, that errors on the side of Evolution. Such as what they did with the recent soft tissue find of a dinosaur.
Evolution is fact. There is no scientific alternative to Evolution. Independent scientists the world over validate Evolutionary study daily. I have a layman's understanding of Evolution, and I have read the bible. The bible is an amusing and horrifying mythical work. Evolution is a logical, amazing science.

There is no reason to be afraid or skeptical of Evolution. When independent, leading scientists agree that Evolution explains origins, I have no problem with it until proven otherwise. I do have every reason to be skeptical about creationists who only seek to validate the biased bible with unscientific studies. Science is secular. There is no goal to achieve beforehand. They aren't seeking to prove a mythical bible correct. They aren't hell bent on showing the Earth is 10,000 years old. They aren't determined to prove a global flood.

We who accept Evolution do not worship it as you suggest. It's not Evolution itself which we cling to, but the objective scientific method which Evolution is the result of.

I have no problem being the byproduct of primate ancestors. It's quite interesting really. Of course it would be incredible if a sky god created my forerunners from dust, but that is a fairy tale.

Just the facts please.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:26 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,974,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJLethal View Post
Evolution is fact. There is no scientific alternative to Evolution. Independent scientists the world over validate Evolutionary study daily. I have a layman's understanding of Evolution, and I have read the bible. The bible is an amusing and horrifying mythical work. Evolution is a logical, amazing science.

There is no reason to be afraid or skeptical of Evolution. When independent, leading scientists agree that Evolution explains origins, I have no problem with it until proven otherwise. I do have every reason to be skeptical about creationists who only seek to validate the biased bible with unscientific studies. Science is secular. There is no goal to achieve beforehand. They aren't seeking to prove a mythical bible correct. They aren't hell bent on showing the Earth is 10,000 years old. They aren't determined to prove a global flood.

We who accept Evolution do not worship it as you suggest. It's not Evolution itself which we cling to, but the objective scientific method which Evolution is the result of.

I have no problem being the byproduct of primate ancestors. It's quite interesting really. Of course it would be incredible if a sky god created my forerunners from dust, but that is a fairy tale.

Just the facts please.
1. Explain to me this, if the Bible is a mythical book of fiction, why are all of it's prophecies correct ?

2. What fossil can you point to, that is the slamdunk for Evolution ?

3. And if Evolutionest are so objective, why do they go to court to block the introduction of other evidence that would challange their belief ?

Old 11-18-2008, 09:38 AM

33,559 posts, read 37,160,046 times
Quote:
1. Explain to me this, if the Bible is a mythical book of fiction, why are all of it's prophecies correct ?

Simple answer..They aren't

You have had dozens pointed out to you...But you ignore anything not in your "holy book"

3. And if Evolutionest are so objective, why do they go to court to block the introduction of other evidence that would challange their belief ?
They do...That's news to me...Link please? What evidence do you know of that challenges science?

Old 11-18-2008, 09:47 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,974,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJLethal View Post
Who is "they?" Most of the rest of the world accepts Evolution as fact Campbell. The holdouts are predominantly Fundamentalist Christians. The reason? Because Evolution conflicts with a literal interpretation of the bible. That is also why most Fundamentalists don't accept Climate Change as a human-contributed phenomenon.

Most Fundamentalists are skeptical of science. When science corrects an incorrect bible on a daily basis, it's understandable. Like the jungle tribes reluctant to come out of the forest while a metropolis is being built around them, you have retreated into your forest of bible fiction.
You can't help be skeptical of the science of evolution, because the bias is so great, when confronted with facts that would show it to be a fraud they change their theories to agree with Evolution. Not long ago Evolutionest said we would never find soft tissue from a dinosaur, because soft tissue can only last at most 100,000 years. However, they are now discovering that they are finding soft tissue in dinosaure bones. Guess what? They are now telling us soft tissue can last up to 75 million years or more. This is a perfect example of how they play with the facts. Rather than draw the conclusion that perhaps the bones are not nearly as old as they stated, they play with the numbers. And when ancient art reveals that early man knew about dinosaurs and made accurate drawings of them, they ignore that to. When they find clay figurines of dinosaurs made from an ancient people and time test them, they ignore them to. And when people try to introduce these facts into the public school system, these unbias Evolutionest go to court to block those facts. The Bible continues to be found to be correct from historical discovery, and it's fulfilled prophecies. I can show you countless mistakes and frauds in evolution that has been presented as science. Can you show me where the Bible has been proven wrong through historical discovery?

Old 11-18-2008, 10:22 AM

33,559 posts, read 37,160,046 times
How do you convince a creationist that a fossil is a transitional fossil? You cannot do it. There is no convincing someone who has his mind made up already. I have no idea why I'm still discussing this with you. I may as well debate with a brick wall.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:40 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,640,756 times
Quote:
You can't help be skeptical of the science of evolution, because the bias is so great, when confronted with facts that would show it to be a fraud they change their theories to agree with Evolution. Not long ago Evolutionest said we would never find soft tissue from a dinosaur, because soft tissue can only last at most 100,000 years. However, they are now discovering that they are finding soft tissue in dinosaure bones. Guess what? They are now telling us soft tissue can last up to 75 million years or more. This is a perfect example of how they play with the facts. Rather than draw the conclusion that perhaps the bones are not nearly as old as they stated, they play with the numbers. And when ancient art reveals that early man knew about dinosaurs and made accurate drawings of them, they ignore that to. When they find clay figurines of dinosaurs made from an ancient people and time test them, they ignore them to. And when people try to introduce these facts into the public school system, these unbias Evolutionest go to court to block those facts. The Bible continues to be found to be correct from historical discovery, and it's fulfilled prophecies. I can show you countless mistakes and frauds in evolution that has been presented as science. Can you show me where the Bible has been proven wrong through historical discovery?
Because THAT'S what makes science and evolution so great. Instead of being held back by a book of myths, we as freethinkers can admit when we're wrong and add more information to our scientific database. You don't think people made MANY mistakes when they started erecting buildings, or creating the automobile? Of course they did! They figured out their mistakes and moved on with a newer, better blueprint. Scientists are constantly trying to prove themselves and others wrong because of the knowledge aspect. We want to know, we want to find out, we want to be proven wrong and start all over again. It's interesting to learn and study and experiment and you just can't do so with the bible hanging over your head telling you what to do and what to believe.

Regarding the prophecies... You see what you want to see. Prophecies are vague at best (look at Nostradamus, MANY of his prophecies have 'come true') and up for interpretations. People have been predicting and seeing the signs of the End Times for centuries... it still hasn't happened. To err is human.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:

I stand behind Sanspeur's and JetJockey's intelligent replies.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:54 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,018,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
Was it global or just that immediate area (Eastern Mediterranen Sea) that got flooded.

The modern stories imply it was global. If thats the case how did the animals (many as yet undiscovered and we are still discovering new species today) from as yet undiscovered parts of the world (not to mention the native people's) get to that area of the world in time and without perishing on the way?

Its easier to believe if it was just that immediate area where Noah happened to live.

Oh yeah, there's no historical records from the other civilzations/empires/tribes at that time of a lethal flood that ravaged their empires at that timeframe. Thats the sorta thing they'd have remembered and wrote down. Getting your empires destroyed sorta sticks in your head. In particular the more distant countries have no record of it. This sorta supports the theory that the Great Flood wasn't global.

So I'm just confused.
There is no evidentiary support that substantiates the truth of the biblical flood myth. For one, there is simply not enough water in the world for a global flood. Also, the ark was only 450 feet by 75 feet by 45 feet although there are 1.4 million animal species that have been described so far, and many more that have most probably not been described yet, plus dinosaurs were supposedly on the ark, even if you exclude aquatic life, there is simply not enough room on the ark to fit all the different animal species, especially if Noah took two of every animal species. Also, dinosaurs like the t-rex weighed 10,000 to 14000 pounds and were up to 20 feet high and 40 feet long, it's questionable that they could have kept in such cages. Also, how did animals from continents that are seperated by ocean, like North America or Australia get across. A deer or grizzly bear didn't magically float across the Atlantic. Also, Noah would have been unable to feed all the carnivorous animals, if he only took two of every animal( one male and one female) then the species of animal that he fed to the carniverous animals would go extinct because they would be unable to procreate;he would have had to bring a fair number more than two of each animal in order to feed all the carniverous species for forty days and forty nights. Also, the ark has never been found on Mt. Ararat, where it supposedly landed.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:47 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,173,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
There is no evidentiary support that substantiates the truth of the biblical flood myth. For one, there is simply not enough water in the world for a global flood. Also, the ark was only 450 feet by 75 feet by 45 feet although there are 1.4 million animal species that have been described so far, and many more that have most probably not been described yet, plus dinosaurs were supposedly on the ark, even if you exclude aquatic life, there is simply not enough room on the ark to fit all the different animal species, especially if Noah took two of every animal species. Also, dinosaurs like the t-rex weighed 10,000 to 14000 pounds and were up to 20 feet high and 40 feet long, it's questionable that they could have kept in such cages. Also, how did animals from continents that are seperated by ocean, like North America or Australia get across. A deer or grizzly bear didn't magically float across the Atlantic. Also, Noah would have been unable to feed all the carnivorous animals, if he only took two of every animal( one male and one female) then the species of animal that he fed to the carniverous animals would go extinct because they would be unable to procreate;he would have had to bring a fair number more than two of each animal in order to feed all the carniverous species for forty days and forty nights. Also, the ark has never been found on Mt. Ararat, where it supposedly landed.
You just don't understand!!!

1. All animals turned to be vegetarians, even Dinos!! God decided they all have to survive, so he made them not be hungry and eat whatever trees/grass Noah brought!
2. Another possible scenario: God put everyone to sleep, and they all slept for 40 days and 40 nights.
3. Ark wasn't big enough? Hell no, there weren't many animals at that time, may be 7?

Got the picture?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality