Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2008, 01:40 AM

97 posts, read 124,089 times

Advertisements

i was actually refering to bill clinton wasnt he the first black president. to the point of my post , why would gays use a symbol from a fictional story unless they are supporting a fictional lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 06:25 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,974,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJLethal View Post
Even if I had no grasp of science, passages such as these make the bible even more ridiculous to accept as god-breathed:

Ezekiel 23:20 There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses. 21 So you longed for the lewdness of your youth, when in Egypt your bosom was caressed and your young breasts fondled.

This reads like a poorly written, dimestore romance novel.
The verse in question is a graphic allegory, and was given to bring home the fact that both Samaria and Jerusalem had fallen far away from God.
And this was demonstrated by the pratice of two harlots. Often in Scripture, if God wants to demonstrate His disgust with a people. He does this by substitution.

And as far as science goes, I would point out, that some of the scientist of the past discovered some of the basic science we believe today because of what they first discovered in the Scriptures. One such example is that of Matthew Maury (1806-1873). Maury is considered the father of oceanography, and based on his reading of Psalms 8:8 began his search for the paths of the sea. At that time they did not no they existed, and it was his discovery that first brought attention to deep cold and warm ocean currents.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Children or young men....This story still shows what a vain, disgusting and evil creature your god is. I can only hope that I am right and he does not exist. Sorry mods, we seem to be way off topic here.
Well your hope is in vain, and God does exist. And if you think you can mock God and get away with it, your only fooling yourself. God is not evil, it is those who mock God that are. They are stupid people who believe they are better than God. They are full of themselves and have no concept of a Holy God, nor do they care about Him. They will all go to their reward.

Old 11-16-2008, 09:42 AM

418 posts, read 708,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidermanufacturing View Post
i was actually refering to bill clinton wasnt he the first black president. to the point of my post , why would gays use a symbol from a fictional story unless they are supporting a fictional lifestyle.
You will need to provide more information about Bill Clinton.

Regarding rainbows, guess what, the bible doesn't have a monopoly on it. You need to see that Christians don't dominate everything, and cultures existed before and after it.

Did you know that Christians used the pentagram as a holy symbol once?

Pentagram - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-16-2008, 09:48 AM

418 posts, read 708,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
The verse in question is a graphic allegory, and was given to bring home the fact that both Samaria and Jerusalem had fallen far away from God.
And this was demonstrated by the pratice of two harlots. Often in Scripture, if God wants to demonstrate His disgust with a people. He does this by substitution.

And as far as science goes, I would point out, that some of the scientist of the past discovered some of the basic science we believe today because of what they first discovered in the Scriptures. One such example is that of Matthew Maury (1806-1873). Maury is considered the father of oceanography, and based on his reading of Psalms 8:8 began his search for the paths of the sea. At that time they did not no they existed, and it was his discovery that first brought attention to deep cold and warm ocean currents.
I do hope you have more examples you cling to than this one. And aren't you one of the Climate Change deniers based on conflicts with a Young Earth? Modern Oceanographers see direct results of Climate Change on ocean temperatures, but Climate Change deniers turn their backs on it because of a literal bible Young Earth. Not very scientific.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:23 PM

97 posts, read 124,089 times
what is it that people find so offensive with the concept of god. this is not a leading question, not trying to trap anyone , i just dont understand.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJLethal View Post
I do hope you have more examples you cling to than this one. And aren't you one of the Climate Change deniers based on conflicts with a Young Earth? Modern Oceanographers see direct results of Climate Change on ocean temperatures, but Climate Change deniers turn their backs on it because of a literal bible Young Earth. Not very scientific.
Actually the Bible states that near the time of the end, the sun will so heat up the earth, that men will curse God because of the heat.
And long before science understood many of the basic sanitation pratices we understand today, the Bible had foreknowledge of them. And I might add, these practices will not be found in any other books or religious text of the time.

Origin of the Cosmos: Ch 10

Old 11-16-2008, 01:17 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,173,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidermanufacturing View Post
what is it that people find so offensive with the concept of god. this is not a leading question, not trying to trap anyone , i just dont understand.
What i find offensive is scare tactics used on those who don't believe or follow your god.
I find it insulting to all rational thinkers, and intelligent human beings capable of making choices in life without interventions of "higher" being.
I find it offensive to follow demands and commands of an unproven, invisible thing.
I find it offensive to believe that man in the skies gave me brain and mind on my own so later on, that same invisible man can take it away and punish for the very same "free will" he gave you in the first place.
I find it offensive to limit my human abilities to act, think and do what it takes to better myself and world around me, and not by praying and waiting for miracles, but by making decision on your own terms.
I find it offensive to not be able make mistakes and learn from them, because man in the sky wants you to be "perfect" in every way possible.

And most of all, i find it offensive that i have to explain to anyone why i do not believe in the thing you call God.

Old 11-16-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
What i find offensive is scare tactics used on those who don't believe or follow your god.
I find it insulting to all rational thinkers, and intelligent human beings capable of making choices in life without interventions of "higher" being.
I find it offensive to follow demands and commands of an unproven, invisible thing.
I find it offensive to believe that man in the skies gave me brain and mind on my own so later on, that same invisible man can take it away and punish for the very same "free will" he gave you in the first place.
I find it offensive to limit my human abilities to act, think and do what it takes to better myself and world around me, and not by praying and waiting for miracles, but by making decision on your own terms.
I find it offensive to not be able make mistakes and learn from them, because man in the sky wants you to be "perfect" in every way possible.

And most of all, i find it offensive that i have to explain to anyone why i do not believe in the thing you call God.
The reason God died on the cross is because God knows you will never be perfect in this world. And I have been a Christian for over 40 years, and I make mistakes all the time, and sometimes I learn from them, and sometimes I dont. And it could be that God will punish you because you did not use your brain. Because if you ever took the time to consider the things of the Bible, you would discover there really is a man in the sky, and He died so you could have a better life. And this life is not about you, it is really about God. Yet you have not discovered that yet. And God is not invisible to those who seek Him, God will reveal Himself to you if you would give Him half a chance. I know that is a true statement, because God revealed Himself to me, and He has done this a number of times.

Old 11-16-2008, 02:48 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,173,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
The reason God died on the cross is because God knows you will never be perfect in this world.
Was it a fact that Jesus died for YOU? Or that Jesus exist, or that Jesus son of a god, or that he died for any other reason? You want to believe that he indeed died for you.
What would happen to the world if Jesus didn't die at all? Do you think word would go on as it does? What is your view on the subject?

Quote:
And I have been a Christian for over 40 years, and I make mistakes all the time, and sometimes I learn from them, and sometimes I dont. And it could be that God will punish you because you did not use your brain.
Why would he punish? That's the brain he gave you, use it as you find it fit. God, apparently didn't give you enough brain to make correct choices, thus you will be punished. Is that how this work? Your argument here is pointless.

Quote:
Because if you ever took the time to consider the things of the Bible, you would discover there really is a man in the sky, and He died so you could have a better life. And this life is not about you, it is really about God. Yet you have not discovered that yet. And God is not invisible to those who seek Him, God will reveal Himself to you if you would give Him half a chance. I know that is a true statement, because God revealed Himself to me, and He has done this a number of times.
My life is what i make it, not what your god wants me to make it. My life is about me, my friends, my families and people who i come to contact in my daily life, my life is not about an invisible man, sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality