Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 11:03 AM

88,853 posts, read 85,259,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by attalla1 View Post
I too have pondered this question. Jesus should have known how to read and write. Carpenters must have measurements to construct items and most make notes. His half-brothers James and Jude are credited with writing the self named books. It is not reasonable to think Jesus's family would not given him the same education that his half-brothers had. I also ponder why more of the disciples did not write of their time with Jesus or any following ministries they may have done. Prehaps some of the writings of that time were intentionally destroyed to keep the masses from learning the Word.
Well, since in one of the gospels Jesus reads from the book of Isaiah in the temple, I'm not sure what there is to ponder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 01:52 PM

1 posts, read 882 times
John 8: 6b - 11" But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. 7 When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, “Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.” 8 Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground.

9 At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there. 10 Jesus straightened up and asked her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?”

11 “No one, sir,” she said.

“Then neither do I condemn you,” Jesus declared. “Go now and leave your life of sin.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 10-14-2014, 02:10 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,317,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attalla1 View Post
I too have pondered this question. Jesus should have known how to read and write. Carpenters must have measurements to construct items and most make notes. His half-brothers James and Jude are credited with writing the self named books. It is not reasonable to think Jesus's family would not given him the same education that his half-brothers had. I also ponder why more of the disciples did not write of their time with Jesus or any following ministries they may have done. Prehaps some of the writings of that time were intentionally destroyed to keep the masses from learning the Word.
First off Jesus was a builder of sorts, we aren't sure which. He could have easily been anything from a stone mason to a handyman. The latter is the most likely though. Secondly, I worked with a lady in my first job who managed to take orders, ring up customers, and make change without being able to read or write properly. Believe it or not being literate is not required to get by in a labor job.

Old 10-17-2014, 05:15 PM

23,270 posts, read 10,557,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
The thread about the book of Jesus got me to thinking about a question that has never even occurred to me before. I think it would be likely that Jesus like most of the population at the time would have been unable to read or write although I've never heard anyone express an opinion on it. Of course if he was able to turn water into wine I wouldn't think that it would have been difficult at all to do so (obligatory sarcastic remark).
When you stop and think about it the Bible only contains written accounts of the life of Jesus that were written long after his death. Because Christians believe that the Bible is God's word wouldn't it have made alot more sense to have Jesus contribute a certain portion of the Bible in his own words? That would have ended so much of the speculation and unanswered questions regarding his life and his message. Has anyone ever heard of anything whatsoever that was ever written and directly attributed to Jesus?

There are lots of words of Jesus, but most people have yet to read them, he speaks in parables, and the true third gospel is hidden with the law and the prophets.

See the law behind the law?

Every single law is this way, and it takes a great deal of effort to understand the hidden law.

1 Corinthian 9:9
8I am not speaking these things according to human judgment, am I? Or does not the Law also say these things? 9For it is written in the Law of Moses, "YOU SHALL NOT MUZZLE THE OX WHILE HE IS THRESHING." God is not concerned about oxen, is He? 10Or is He speaking altogether for our sake? Yes, for our sake it was written, because the plowman ought to plow in hope, and the thresher to thresh in hope of sharing the crops.…

Jesus spoke of the Parable of the sower, the parable of the wheat and the tares, the parable of the mustard seed, and the parable of the hidden leaven.

All 4 of these parables go together.

The sower is the Passover and how you begin a walk with God in dying daily and sowing a seed. The wheat and tares takes you through Pentecost when you have walked in Passover and progressed into Pentecost. The Mustard seed speaks of becoming a great covering when you walk in Sukkot.

The leaven that a woman took and hid in 3 measures of meal are those 3 parables, and the parables only show what man is in 3 sections.

In Body
In Soul
In Spirit

Jesus said a great deal that most people have never heard and without a very good knowledge of law and the feast days, it would be impossible to become a reader.

Jesus speaks about the reader, just as Revelation does.

Those with eyes are sometimes blind, and those with ears are some times deaf, and Jesus only speaks to the people who can read those parables, they aren't given to the majority.

But there is a whole other book there.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:09 AM

18,255 posts, read 16,988,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
There are lots of words of Jesus, but most people have yet to read them, he speaks in parables, and the true third gospel is hidden with the law and the prophets.

See the law behind the law?

Every single law is this way, and it takes a great deal of effort to understand the hidden law.

What you have to remember is that, being a Jew, Jesus would NEVER have instituted a ritual in which blood was drunk, even symbolically. The very idea would have repelled and appalled him as a strict observant of the Law of Moses ("Not one jot or tittle of the law shall pass...").

How then does he institute a custom in which his body is to be eaten and his blood is to be drunk?

The very idea is ludicrous, but then again it isn't if you realize that the gospel of John was written by men who had an agenda to get certain pagan rites initiated into their services that involved consecrating bread and wine into the body and blood of Jesus, similar to what followers of their own pagan gods were doing. The followers of these deities instructed their initiates to perform this rite to commemorate and worship the deities they served before the Jesus legend ever got started---deities like Dionysius, Horus, Mithra, and Attis who, according to legend, also died and were resurrected just like Jesus.

When you know this, then it makes perfect sense that the followers of the latest and perhaps last major demigod to appear, Jesus, would have him follow the custom and institute a similar rite at a "Last Supper"-- another custom found in many pagan religions -- to conform to the traditions that came before him in order to win new converts to this new faith called "Christianity".

Old 02-17-2015, 01:05 PM

1 posts, read 727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
The thread about the book of Jesus got me to thinking about a question that has never even occurred to me before. I think it would be likely that Jesus like most of the population at the time would have been unable to read or write although I've never heard anyone express an opinion on it. Of course if he was able to turn water into wine I wouldn't think that it would have been difficult at all to do so (obligatory sarcastic remark).
When you stop and think about it the Bible only contains written accounts of the life of Jesus that were written long after his death. Because Christians believe that the Bible is God's word wouldn't it have made alot more sense to have Jesus contribute a certain portion of the Bible in his own words? That would have ended so much of the speculation and unanswered questions regarding his life and his message. Has anyone ever heard of anything whatsoever that was ever written and directly attributed to Jesus?

Some say that Jesus did but only the pope is aloud to read it or something I only hear this on the Internet like the priests romurs and only priest go there to get files of scripture of stuff that we already know about any they are not even aloud to read it so its only a roomies but if there is why can't we know? I looked up about Jesus as a child on the Internet and some of it say he killed a kid I don't belive it though I know some people make stuff up but I still think Jesus would leave something for us to read to remember beside the story of his death and his journey. like things to look out for.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:08 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,129,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterblue View Post
Some say that Jesus did but only the pope is aloud to read it or something I only hear this on the Internet like the priests romurs and only priest go there to get files of scripture of stuff that we already know about any they are not even aloud to read it so its only a roomies but if there is why can't we know? I looked up about Jesus as a child on the Internet and some of it say he killed a kid I don't belive it though I know some people make stuff up but I still think Jesus would leave something for us to read to remember beside the story of his death and his journey. like things to look out for.
The non-canonical Infancy Gospel of Thomas is the one where the five year old Jesus kills another boy for bumping in to him among other bratty mischief. This is a second century work that no one takes seriously as anything that really happened.

http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/text/infancythomas-a-roberts.html

For some insane reason C-D refuses to handle inks properly. Parsing and title retrieval work but are not interpreted in the post. So copy/paste the above link into a browser window to see the Infancy Gospel of Thomas.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:30 PM

63,999 posts, read 40,305,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alt Thinker View Post
The non-canonical Infancy Gospel of Thomas is the one where the five year old Jesus kills another boy for bumping in to him among other bratty mischief. This is a second century work that no one takes seriously as anything that really happened.

Infancy Gospel of Thomas, First Greek Form (Roberts-Donaldson translation)

For some insane reason C-D refuses to handle inks properly. Parsing and title retrieval work but are not interpreted in the post. So copy/paste the above link into a browser window to see the Infancy Gospel of Thomas.
Use the Earth with an Infinity sign symbol to insert links.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:42 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,652,049 times
The bible is full of stories. Some of them are quite scary for children. The Christians have been cherry picking verses from this book to make their points about one thing or another for years.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:30 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,129,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Use the Earth with an Infinity sign symbol to insert links.
I did, just like I have many hundreds of times. All that came out in previews was the text of the inserted link, not its interpreted result. E.g., the Preview result would look like [ url=" etc instead of a highlighted link. (Intentional space before url=.) I tried putting in just the url. It got parsed as [ url] etc. but that is also what showed up in Preview. I had to unclick automatic parse and automatic retrieve to get a plain vanilla url.

Google

Now it is working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality