Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 01:29 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,558,564 times

Advertisements

[quote=Vizio;28382582]
Quote:
Actually...it's 66 books. And I have no reason to doubt that the 66 books have been forged.
I never stated anything about how many books there are, so there you go again. As a general theme, all these "66 books" are contained in one and referenced as a single book. You appear to be a nitpicking fool with statements such as this.

Aside from that, with the exception of a personal predjudice, what reason do you have to believe them?

Quote:
I mentioned several things in my post above you have yet to even touch. You have no comment for them?
You mention many things that are just pure nonsense. Outside of saying that I believe you to be completely wrong and misled (and lying about me mentioning how many books there are), what specifically do you want disproved to you next?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 09:33 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,389,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Actually...it's 66 books. And I have no reason to doubt that the 66 books have been forged.

It's 73 for Catholics.

Didn't they teach textual criticism and Biblical hermeneutics at your 'seminary'?

Old 02-24-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
It's 73 for Catholics.

Didn't they teach textual criticism and Biblical hermeneutics at your 'seminary'?
Don't you realize it yet? Only (according to him) Vizio can possibly be correct in any circumstance. He is trying to usurp his envisioned position of "god".

Old 02-24-2013, 11:14 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
It's 73 for Catholics.

Catholics themselves don't recognize the extra books as being "inspired". They were added to the Bible in 1546. Many had considered them to be useful historically (Luther, for example), but they were not considered inspired.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:15 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Don't you realize it yet? Only (according to him) Vizio can possibly be correct in any circumstance. He is trying to usurp his envisioned position of "god".
There are many people that know far more than me. Of course, you've demonstrated that you are not one of them. At least not when it comes to theology. I'm sure you have a world of knowledge of other things that I don't.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:44 AM

71 posts, read 114,698 times
Many Christians in mainly in eastern Europe are using a Bible with at least 12 extra books in it.

This Bible called the Septuagint is actually said to be the first version of the OT being translated into another language(Greek) from Hebrew roughly 250 years B.C. It was also supposedly translated from the oldest known version of the Old Testament. It not only has more books(Apocrypha), but actually varies in text in several places from later versions that have been translated from Hebrew. It was also the main version used by the New Testament writers when they would refer to the Old Testament.

I'm sure that all you Christian scholars already know this though as you seem to have everything else figured out.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:22 PM

18,025 posts, read 27,472,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
The thread about the book of Jesus got me to thinking about a question that has never even occurred to me before. I think it would be likely that Jesus like most of the population at the time would have been unable to read or write although I've never heard anyone express an opinion on it. Of course if he was able to turn water into wine I wouldn't think that it would have been difficult at all to do so (obligatory sarcastic remark.
Well for one thing, if most of (H)is followers couldn't read nor write anyway, why would (H)e imbibe in the first place?

I understand that the op crop-dusted this thread some 3 or 4 years ago and probably isn't available to respond, but I just noticed that he's not only an atheist, but one who would rather argue with believers than profess his own faith. He only posted in this thread twice so far.

The title just caught my eye. I'll have to take some time and go back through the other responses in here as it's likely to have something of interest for me... namely the responses to a silly question posed by an atheist.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
There are many people that know far more than me. Of course, you've demonstrated that you are not one of them. At least not when it comes to theology. I'm sure you have a world of knowledge of other things that I don't.
Ah, assumptions! You need to use those when you don't know what you are talking about and have no foundation to base your opinions on. In point of fact, you have no idea what I know or don't know except that I say there is no god and organized religion is a waste of time.

As for you, I know that you don't think for yourself but rely on the words of others to form your beliefs. In other words, a sheep.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:58 AM

1 posts, read 904 times
I too have pondered this question. Jesus should have known how to read and write. Carpenters must have measurements to construct items and most make notes. His half-brothers James and Jude are credited with writing the self named books. It is not reasonable to think Jesus's family would not given him the same education that his half-brothers had. I also ponder why more of the disciples did not write of their time with Jesus or any following ministries they may have done. Prehaps some of the writings of that time were intentionally destroyed to keep the masses from learning the Word.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:51 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,133,502 times
Quote:
There are many people that know far more than me. .
Yet you keep arguing with them when they try and educate you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality