Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2010, 11:21 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,862,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Where did you find this garbage?

That person is clearly an ignoramus and has never been to any country in MENA.

A manger is located inside a house, not outside.

The manger was for newborn animals, primarily sheep and goats, and sometimes a newborn donkey foal. Young hens might also be kept there. It was usually adjacent to the kitchen area where the hearth could provide some warmth for the animals.

Since Jesus was supposedly a carpenter, I doubt he could even write.

He wasn't a carpenter yet another bit people don't learn about. And i agree i doubt he could either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Has anyone come up with a plausible reason for this? For the record I don't believe for a second that Jesus was illiterate, which makes the lack of writings even more confounding.

If I was the messiah I would do all the talking for myself with no speech writers or editors. Anything else would be a compromise.

Jesus was a poor first century jew in a time when barely 2 percent of the roman empire was by our standards literate. So what chance do you think there is that he could read or write?

Old 09-15-2010, 11:36 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Jesus was a poor first century jew in a time when barely 2 percent of the roman empire was by our standards literate. So what chance do you think there is that he could read or write?
As an observant Jew, pretty near certainty.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Yes; a Jew, such as Jesus of Nazareth, has to be taught and then tested by rabbis before being ordained as a rabbi.

Since there were no rabbinical schools at that time how was that done exactly?

Old 09-15-2010, 11:40 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,024,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I can't say I'm sorry to burst your bubble as it really needs bursting. Getting at the truth does not require a high mentality. It requires using the available mental tools correctly, wihich will yield pretty sounds results even with a rather mediocre intellect such as my own.

Everything that you write after that is preaching. Preaching what you do not and cannot know as if you had some hotline to God. If you refuse to use the tools to find the truth about what records are left us or the sources on which you rely, what credibility can you possibly claim for all the suppositions and guesswork about what he did or we did or what he wants or what we are supposed to do - all without a shred of evidence but Faith.

That's some bubble.
There's just some things in our makeup that can't be proven, even with logic. From the way I'm understanding you is that people have to be smart or at least have an IQ above 100 to be able to come to know Truth. Our truth is always changing. It will never be the same until we all have raised our vibrations, our consciousness. Just because one persons logic dictates something is sound, does not make it sound for another. This is because of our own experiences.

I'm not preaching, I just believe them to be true at the moment. Maybe I won't believe them tomorrow but I believe them today. It doesn't make me wrong or illogical, it makes me human. You claiming that you are more logical than me is just absurd.

For the record, I believe Jesus didn't leave any writings because He was told not to. He's more than you or any fundamentalist realizes.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
As an observant Jew, pretty near certainty.

You don't know how observant he was....i think you have watched Jesus of Nazareth too many times and forget that there were no synagogues in the time of Jesus.....religion was controlled by the priesthood,and chances are Jesus would have only known what was orally passed down. If we go by that argument that why were the gospels written so long after....in fluent Greek? The literate Jesus does not mesh with history basically.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Since there were no rabbinical schools at that time how was that done exactly?
There were rabbinical schools at that time.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:44 AM

2,071 posts, read 2,161,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Easy. In a court of law one listens to a witness' statement. If the statement does not stack up it is dismissed as being unbelievable. That does not make the Judge a believer in the witness.
Oh, so you're a lawyer, too. What a coincidence. James Padgett, who received the spirit communications from Jesus, his disciples and a multitude of other well-know figures, as well as his family and friends... was also a lawyer and based on his evidence of the writings he received as a result of his extraordinary gift of mediumship, this is what he said:

"First permit me to state that I am a practical lawyer of 35 years experience, and as such not inclined to accept allegations of fact as true without evidencing proof... but the evidence of the truth of the origin of these messages became so convincing, not only from the great number and positiveness of the witnesses, but from the inherent and unusual merits of the contents of the messages, that I was forced to believe -- and now say to you that I believe in the truth of these communications with as little doubt as I ever believed in the truth of a fact established by the most positive evidence in court."

My Testimony, James E. Padgett (http://tinyurl.com/ylyckd2 - broken link)

So rather than providing the exact source of your claim, i.e., book and verse, you send me on a fishing expedition to do your work for you. In a court of law, you may be subject to a motion to compel and a request for sanctions.

So are you a non-believer, or what? You avoided that question like the plague.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
... there were no synagogues in the time of Jesus.....
Yes, there were synagogues in the 1st Century C.E.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Yes, there were synagogues in the 1st Century C.E.

Not in the sense of what you think it is no there were not. They were mostly ritual structures not meant for a teaching setting. And all have been found in large metropolitan areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality