Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2022, 12:52 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,381,212 times

Advertisements

I haven't had a tree, or hung up lights or decorations for about 10 years now but I think it would do me some good mood-wise to do it just for me. I'm worth it after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2022, 01:51 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
There is also the issue of safety. At our ages ladders are not recommended. I install lights only on the lower level roof, with a 6' stepladder and remove them using a hook on a broomstick. In the yard I put a variety of display items on the ground, which is a lot safer.

Old 09-26-2022, 02:03 PM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times
I'm a long way off from retirement, but I found the wording of the question interesting - what would retirement have to do with holiday decorations? Surely if you're retired you'd actually have more time to spend on things like Christmas decorations than you'd have as a member of the workforce.

Old 09-26-2022, 02:44 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,576,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post

I am like you. I hardly bother with much these days. I put a wreath on the door, and put up a small tree, most years. If I don’t put up a tree, I feel a bit bad about it.
Putting up a Christmas tree and a wreath are MAJOR components of decorating for Christmas!! (and a tree is effort and shows interest in Christmas)

So saying you hardly bother.....

Hardly bothering would be NO decorations, but instead just sending a few Christmas cards or just wrapping a short string of lights on a porch railing.

Last edited by matisse12; 09-26-2022 at 02:58 PM..

Old 09-26-2022, 03:05 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I'm a long way off from retirement, but I found the wording of the question interesting - what would retirement have to do with holiday decorations? Surely if you're retired you'd actually have more time to spend on things like Christmas decorations than you'd have as a member of the workforce.
I think that empty nests often coincide with retirement. You no longer have kids living with you. They might visit for the holidays some years, but other years they celebrate either at their own homes or they visit their in-laws.

It can be hard to get motivated to decorate the house when it's just you and your spouse. And that's probably doubly true if it's just you.

Old 09-26-2022, 04:36 PM

9,436 posts, read 5,197,344 times
I don't decorate for any holidays and Christmas is a bare miminum. I have a really cute little wrought iron tree (about 5 ft) where I put lights and my favorite ornaments. It looks really festive and I don't have to water it or clean up needles.

I do have some string lights in the kitchen area year round and I use candles as well in the winter months to create that 'hygge' feeling. cozy.

Old 09-26-2022, 05:01 PM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
You bet! Halloween decor goes up earlier every year; mid September, this year. I put them away after Day of the Dead, November 2.

Outdoor lights, 6' artificial tree, plus my collection of mini trees go up December 1, down around January 1.

I put more effort into decorating if guests are coming, but I mostly do it for me.

Old 09-26-2022, 05:47 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,944,809 times
I feel so sad for so many people posting here. We decorate for every major holiday. Our house is on top of a hill, we have a giant "christmas tree" of lights on our flag pole that can be seen all over town. We do the eves with lights on Halloween, Christmas and we deck the house in red, white and blue lights and bunting on the 4th.

I'm hoping to make the paper this Halloween with my terribly tasteless new addition to our display. We're going to put white shrink wrap on the garage door (so it doesn't stain) then stuff a "body" and put out a big "puddle" of blood running down the driveway, with bloody handprints on the door and a big "knife" handle protruding from the back of the body.

Hopfully I won't get arrested!

The Mayor's still peeved at me for my April Fools joke several years ago. Where I posted on Facebook that "Effective April 1st," the city was going to raise the speed limit on the highway through town to 70, since nobody followed the 45 mph signs anyway. OMG - people jammed the switchboard at city hall and were calling the Mayor at home until 10 pm! I made the front page that time, and they had to assure people at the council meeting that it was a joke. Reading comprehesion isn't a strong point around here...

Old 09-26-2022, 06:09 PM

2,859 posts, read 1,802,529 times
1987, June, my husband became disabled. November, after Thanksgiving, went to.a luncheon at church. Advent was explained, sheets handed out for daily Scripture reading. Ask the family members what was important for Christmas.

Went home, asked husband, sons, 13, 15, what do they want for Christmas ? Cutting a tree special breakfast, birthday cake for Jesus. Gifts weren't mentioned.

So ! Each night, after dinner 10, 15 minutes we read a devotion, Scripture.
Definition: Advent to come. For Christians, 4 Sundays before Christmas. According to dictionary.

Christmas Day, special breakfast, believe my folks came for dinner. ( Husband's folks in MN, we're in California) The next day, I asked my sons what they thought of this Christmas. Reply? Now we know what Christmas is about !

For me, it was A Lot less stress, why I was celebrating the day. A day to be thankful for God's greatest gift, His Son.

Old 09-26-2022, 06:38 PM

352 posts, read 262,605 times
I love decorating for Halloween, Fall, and Christmas. We put out minimal lights for Christmas, just around the front porch area. But I still decorate outside and inside the house. The live Christmas tree is my favorite with ornaments we have had for over 40 years. I don't decorate much at Easter and none for St. Patrick's day. I do put out my red, white and blue for the Fourth of July. Our children live local and we have small grandchildren. I have a lot of siblings and nieces, nephews, cousins, that still live locally. We all get together at Christmas. I hope I have many, many more years of keeping the spirit. It keeps the past memories of the holidays alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement