Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 09:28 PM

25 posts, read 30,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguy View Post
The Beat used to have community talk on Sunday mornings but not sure if they still do. However, feel free to check on Sunday mornings at 6am.

As for the slow jamz, they had it each week night but with more competition by KTFM and Mix 96.1, it was a logical move to remove a program that wasn't producing numbers. The Beat is still a powerhouse in SA but definitely not dominating the market as it once was. I said this before, the Hip Hop format is dead and The Beat had no opition but to move to Top 40 Rhythmic. Unlike KTFM, The Beat still leans Hip Hop but it's not 24/7 Hip Hop like in years past.

Keep in mind, many stations across the country that were "All Hip Hop" have moved to Top 40 Rhythmic or flipped to another profitable format.
My problem isn't as much the format, as it is the repetitive playing of the same 5 or 6 songs over and over, which I also understand happens across all formats and stations across the country. I guess the way I look at it is, if they're going to play 5 or 6 songs, then the program director should pick out some better songs.

In my opinion, the program director/station manager as a whole are both just **** poor. It's like they don't even put any effort into what they're doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 09:40 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
I'm becoming less of a fan of The Beat, but they do still play community shows on Sunday mornings at 6 am and they still have the Heartbeats show every weeknight at 10 pm which plays slow jams.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:00 PM

693 posts, read 1,501,756 times
It looks like they changed the station again cause they were playing some alternative rock music earlier. It says let us know what you want to hear on air1.com. UGH the last thing we need is top 40 christian station. I was liking the dance music even though they pretty much played the same songs as 96.1 and 94.1. If anything we need an alternative/indie rock station. I'd love to hear some good indie music get played here.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:14 PM

They just posted on their facebook page.

Quote:
The Party is not over ... You can still listen to Party on 98.5 HD2 with your HD Radio. If you don't have one ... get with the time and go cop one.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:02 PM

I'd like to hear more Indie/non-mainstream music of all genres like Roisin Murphy and Junip. I'm not surprised 97.7 couldn't compete with 96.1 or 94.1. The sound quality was terrible and half of the music they played wasn't even party music. Oh well, one less station playing awful Top 40. The Beat pretty much plays most of the dance songs that were on 97.7 anyway. 98.5 should stop calling itself a hip hop and r&b station.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:39 PM
Hyp

97 posts, read 121,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
I'd like to hear more Indie/non-mainstream music of all genres like Roisin Murphy and Junip. I'm not surprised 97.7 couldn't compete with 96.1 or 94.1. The sound quality was terrible and half of the music they played wasn't even party music. Oh well, one less station playing awful Top 40. The Beat pretty much plays most of the dance songs that were on 97.7 anyway. 98.5 should stop calling itself a hip hop and r&b station.
Half the reason that station was crap is/was because of the reception. Another is that they played the exact same stuff as what the other 3 major stations are playing. If they wanted to make a statement, you can't do it with the same BS they play in almost every city in the US. They need to switch things up in order to draw a crowd

Old 11-23-2011, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyp View Post
Half the reason that station was crap is/was because of the reception. Another is that they played the exact same stuff as what the other 3 major stations are playing. If they wanted to make a statement, you can't do it with the same BS they play in almost every city in the US. They need to switch things up in order to draw a crowd
Looks like that won't be happening and were stuck with 2 top 40 stations playing the same crap. Then same played out rock & classic rock stations. I don't get why we need 2 adult contemporary stations and jack fm. Blah clear channel you need to go bankrupt already. I guess I need to save up and buy sirius radio subscription if I want to hear some different music.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:32 PM

448 posts, read 918,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
97-7 was able to compete with Mix and KTFM. They average around 300,000 monthly listeners.

Anyhow, the reason the station flipped formats is due to Univision selling the signal to EMF. This is the same company that owns K-Love.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguy View Post
97-7 was able to compete with Mix and KTFM. They average around 300,000 monthly listeners.

Anyhow, the reason the station flipped formats is due to Univision selling the signal to EMF. This is the same company that owns K-Love.
Why would Univision sell it?

Old 11-23-2011, 08:06 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,044,257 times
Please do everyone a favor and just turn off your FM radio. FM will die sooner, and you won't have to listen to the endless hours of advertising. Put in a CD, plug in the MP3 player, or get a new car with the up and coming internet radio technology. Help us kill FM band radio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio