Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 03:40 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,486,543 times

Advertisements

Dubstep producer, Rusko, has been working with Rihanna and Britney Spears.

Here is an article talking about Britney's latest song. If EDM producers are saying that her music is EDM influenced, then I'll listen to them over a person who claims to know what they're talking about on this board.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/165...skrillex.jhtml
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 10:26 AM

1 posts, read 2,197 times
SAGuy is correct. The Beat has to adapt. Hip Hop is now Mainstream/general market. Might as well call it Hip-Pop! The Beat now plays artists like Bruno Mars/Kesha because the market is younger-a new IPOD generation that listens to everything.
97.7 is just a way for the Beat to cross sell clients and not sacrifice their format.
94.1 is good because they have real jocks in all dayparts-local guys who are funny and they have great club nights.
96.1 is generic-syndicated shows from all over-no real live people
98.5-i love hip hop and the BEAT is just not the hip hip i love-it is hiphop for a Hispanic Market (Angie Perez-seriously!) This crap kills me....I grew up with MC Lyte!

All in all....I agree having 4 stations with similiar formats is tricky. But there are 4 Spanish stations in the market who do very well. So only time will tell.

I can bet the station with a smart programer will adapt-and perhaps-try to compete with the BEAT. Better hip hop with some old school.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:36 PM
Hyp

97 posts, read 122,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguy View Post
I agree Austin Electronica/Dance music scene has increased over the last few years. However, the program you mentioned on Saturday nights on 101x, consisit of mainly underground artist. These are the same artist you can find locally on on Friday nights on 90.1.

The Dance music I am referring to artist like David Guetta, Edward Maya, Afrojack, Deadmau5 and others that recd local airplay on KTFM before they became "Hits".

Party 97-7 gives KTFM some good competition due to the fact they lean Top 40 with a Dance lean. In addition, Party 97-7 plays several Pop Remixes that many Top 40 radio stations around the country do not play.
David Guetta has been on Air in many other cities in before San Antonio, with over 4 years ago. Titles like: The World is Mine, One Love, Memories, the list goes on.

I agree that 97.7 could give the other stations competition. At this early in their stage of trying to promote "Dance" music, I think it would be wise for the station to play some music that actually is considered "Dance" music from each part of the world, instead of what the USA considers dance music.
There are many artists that put out some AMAZING Progressive House songs with vocals in their songs, that can move you like no other Top 40 or Hip Hop song can. Artists like Alex Gaudino, Ferry Corsten, Tiesto, Martin Solveig, Dirty South, Swedish House Mafia, Axwell, Robbie Rivera, the list goes on & on, and majority of these Artists will never be known due to the fact that they will only listen to the music being played on the radio (their only source of education.) If 97.7 actually stayed true to the term "Dance" they should definitely be open to new genre's on the radio.
If you really are that into music like it seems you have a passion for, I will give you a list of songs that I HAVE SEEN reactions from in the club. Not only that, they get people happy, their bodies moving, and smiles on their faces. I'm tired of hearing "money, b&%$#@!, cars, clothes" music that gets people in the fighting mood. We need people in San Antonio, and this world, to live life to the fullest, and be as happy as possible, not willing to die for their homeboy that just got bumped into and now there is about to be a brawl... Do we really want our children growing up in that...?
Here are some songs I know will do great
Alex Gaudino - I'm In Love (Full Vocal Radio Mix)
Martin Solveig ft Dragonette - Hello
Robbie Rivera - We Live for the Music
Axwell - Nothing But Love
iSquare - Hey Sexy Lady
Swedish House Mafia ft Pharrell - One (Your Name)
Swedish House Mafia - Miami 2 Ibiza
Tiesto - I Will Be Here
Diddy ft Dirty Money - Coming Home (Dirty South Remix)
Axwell - Watch The Sunrise
Afrojack - Take Over Control (it's been played on radio before here in Sa)
Kaskade ft Martina of Dragonette - Fire in Your New Shoes
Kaskade - Raining
Everything But The Girl - Missing (Fedde Le Grand Remix)
The list goes on & on lol

Old 02-23-2011, 06:29 PM

448 posts, read 919,777 times
[quote=Hyp;17999697]David Guetta has been on Air in many other cities in before San Antonio, with over 4 years ago. Titles like: The World is Mine, One Love, Memories, the list goes on.

There's many markets that did not play the last hit by David Guetta-Memories. Dallas and Austin were two markets in Texas that Memories recd no airplay. And yes, I know he's been out for some time now but the song that gets airplay is Sexy Chick. The others track recd ZERO airplay.

KTFM has been ahead of most stations in regards to Dance. However, over the last two months they seem to be slipping and just staying with what's on Billboards Top 40, which is lame. The tight playlist it now has will become Party's advantage.

Anyhow, according to the lastest data, Party is receiving positive response to the change. Latest cume puts Party 97-7 over 200,000 listeners. That's almost all the listeners it had from the Rock format. In addition, to that those numbers is the amount of advertisers Party 97-7 now has.

Party ON!!!

Old 02-24-2011, 01:26 AM
Hyp

[quote=SAguy;18004871]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyp View Post
David Guetta has been on Air in many other cities in before San Antonio, with over 4 years ago. Titles like: The World is Mine, One Love, Memories, the list goes on.

There's many markets that did not play the last hit by David Guetta-Memories. Dallas and Austin were two markets in Texas that Memories recd no airplay. And yes, I know he's been out for some time now but the song that gets airplay is Sexy Chick. The others track recd ZERO airplay.

KTFM has been ahead of most stations in regards to Dance. However, over the last two months they seem to be slipping and just staying with what's on Billboards Top 40, which is lame. The tight playlist it now has will become Party's advantage.

Anyhow, according to the lastest data, Party is receiving positive response to the change. Latest cume puts Party 97-7 over 200,000 listeners. That's almost all the listeners it had from the Rock format. In addition, to that those numbers is the amount of advertisers Party 97-7 now has.

Party ON!!!
That's good that 97.7 is doing good, I'm happy for the station. Just think it could attract more people if they played other songs in addition to the ones they already play. Hopefully, the station keeps doing good, and maybe be open to some other music to help the station AND San Antonio listeners

Old 02-24-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyp View Post

I agree that 97.7 could give the other stations competition. At this early in their stage of trying to promote "Dance" music, I think it would be wise for the station to play some music that actually is considered "Dance" music from each part of the world, instead of what the USA considers dance music.
There are many artists that put out some AMAZING Progressive House songs with vocals in their songs, that can move you like no other Top 40 or Hip Hop song can. Artists like Alex Gaudino, Ferry Corsten, Tiesto, Martin Solveig, Dirty South, Swedish House Mafia, Axwell, Robbie Rivera, the list goes on & on, and majority of these Artists will never be known due to the fact that they will only listen to the music being played on the radio (their only source of education.) If 97.7 actually stayed true to the term "Dance" they should definitely be open to new genre's on the radio.
If you really are that into music like it seems you have a passion for, I will give you a list of songs that I HAVE SEEN reactions from in the club. Not only that, they get people happy, their bodies moving, and smiles on their faces. I'm tired of hearing "money, b&%$#@!, cars, clothes" music that gets people in the fighting mood. We need people in San Antonio, and this world, to live life to the fullest, and be as happy as possible, not willing to die for their homeboy that just got bumped into and now there is about to be a brawl... Do we really want our children growing up in that...?
Here are some songs I know will do great
Alex Gaudino - I'm In Love (Full Vocal Radio Mix)
Martin Solveig ft Dragonette - Hello
Robbie Rivera - We Live for the Music
Axwell - Nothing But Love
iSquare - Hey Sexy Lady
Swedish House Mafia ft Pharrell - One (Your Name)
Swedish House Mafia - Miami 2 Ibiza
Tiesto - I Will Be Here
Diddy ft Dirty Money - Coming Home (Dirty South Remix)
Axwell - Watch The Sunrise
Afrojack - Take Over Control (it's been played on radio before here in Sa)
Kaskade ft Martina of Dragonette - Fire in Your New Shoes
Kaskade - Raining
Everything But The Girl - Missing (Fedde Le Grand Remix)
The list goes on & on lol

Maybe those songs would be popular in SA considering what's already being played on the radio. I'm still looking for something different from that though. Until then, I'll stick to my mp3 player filled with old music and hopefully discovering more new music on YouTube. I would really love to hear more soul/r&b and modern rock music. Some hip hop music by rappers who can actually rap would be nice too.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:46 PM
Hyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Maybe those songs would be popular in SA considering what's already being played on the radio. I'm still looking for something different from that though. Until then, I'll stick to my mp3 player filled with old music and hopefully discovering more new music on YouTube. I would really love to hear more soul/r&b and modern rock music. Some hip hop music by rappers who can actually rap would be nice too.
Those songs are pretty much the same as lots of stuff that is being played on the radio, but it's just something different. New. Not what you hear a couple times out of a couple hours on 3/4 different stations. Those songs LISTED are song's that could be played on Party 97.7, because that station is trying to put Dance Music on the radio, not so much Soul/R&B. And as far as Soul/R&B goes, I don't know which station would play that. Would be good to hear different stuff on the radio though, I do agree...

Old 02-24-2011, 10:49 PM

Yeah, at least if they're going to play dance music, they can at least have a longer playlist. Several of the stations here could use a longer playlist regardless of the format. The Beat is supposed to be a hip hop and r&b station, but most of the mainstream r&b artists have turned to making dance music. There are some pretty good soul artists getting a lot of play in Europe and I just listen to those and the American r&b artists who have been pretty much forced underground.

Hopefully, this trend will pass soon and the mainstream will get back to having some variety. There was a time when even hard rock and alternative metal would get a lot of airtime on MTV (when it still played music). I would watch TRL (which was controlled by teenagers) and I would see Korn, Backstreet Boys, No Doubt, and Dr. Dre all in the same hour.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:26 PM

693 posts, read 1,503,343 times
If Party 97.7 really wants to party it needs to play more dance songs or remixes. Not just top 40 songs that are already played on the 2 other stations. This is a great idea for a new station but not much partying is happening. Why would I want to hear the same songs I can listen to on other stations? I hope they add more songs to their playlist. They could even play old school dance music once in a while. It would be cool if they played remixes because their are some great remix producers out there.

Their video mixes on facebook are more than dance then what they play on radio. It is mostly top 40 mixes though.

Videos Posted by Party 977: PARTY 97.7 Videomix [HQ] | Facebook

Old 02-25-2011, 01:24 PM
Hyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmusicgal View Post
If Party 97.7 really wants to party it needs to play more dance songs or remixes. Not just top 40 songs that are already played on the 2 other stations. This is a great idea for a new station but not much partying is happening. Why would I want to hear the same songs I can listen to on other stations? I hope they add more songs to their playlist. They could even play old school dance music once in a while. It would be cool if they played remixes because their are some great remix producers out there.

Their video mixes on facebook are more than dance then what they play on radio. It is mostly top 40 mixes though.

Videos Posted by Party 977: PARTY 97.7 Videomix [HQ] | Facebook
Glad you have the same idea as most others on the site, and in San Antonio. 97.7 really needs to bring more to the table then the other stations. Like I've said before, I love the idea, just hope more gets put into the station for it to really gain some success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio