Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 03:34 PM

2 posts, read 3,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Am I the only one sick and tired of the "change format" bs
Why can't they just play better music of whatever format they are playing.

Thats my problem with a lot of rock stations, and includes both 99.5 and formerly 97.7. Lets play one cake song, the same cake song as every other rock station around, and only that one song. Lets play Rammstein's Du Hast, and only Du Hast even though they have many other great songs. Lets completely ignore most every form of Irish, Canadian and any foreign language rock music, in favor of a lineup that is overly metal.

Then you go up to Austin and Dallas and get numerous Rock stations that actually play a huge variety (101.5 in austin along witht he other one I cant remember thats on page 2 of my presets for roadtipping and 102.1 and 97.1 in Dallas) and are much better received.

You wouldnt really guess new rock was well received these days from what we get on our radio stations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 06:00 PM

3 posts, read 10,267 times
As a rock station 97.7 was really no better than 99.5. When I first learned of 97.7 as a rock station I was admittedly excited to finally have an alternative to the tired old, played out songs that were being recycled over and over again on KISS. I can't tell you how many times I flipped from one station to the other only to hear them playing the exact same song. Seriously? There are so many rock bands out there that aren't getting any play because we hear the same 40 or so bands. And at the same time refusing to delve further back into an artists catalog playing only what's trending now. Austin is light years ahead of us in terms of music and culture. Kind of sad really.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:28 PM

448 posts, read 919,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Got_It View Post
As a rock station 97.7 was really no better than 99.5. When I first learned of 97.7 as a rock station I was admittedly excited to finally have an alternative to the tired old, played out songs that were being recycled over and over again on KISS. I can't tell you how many times I flipped from one station to the other only to hear them playing the exact same song. Seriously? There are so many rock bands out there that aren't getting any play because we hear the same 40 or so bands. And at the same time refusing to delve further back into an artists catalog playing only what's trending now. Austin is light years ahead of us in terms of music and culture. Kind of sad really.
It's not light years ahead of us. The difference between both cities is the demographics. KROX-Alternative format in Austin is ranked @ #13 in the latest ratings. KLBJ-Classic Rock similar to KZEP here in SA is ranked in the Top 10. KZEP in the key demos of 25-54 is a Top 5 station.

As stated earlier in this thread, Rock is a dying format. Not just in this market but in many other markets around country. Anyhow, even though 97-7 Rock had better numbers than X106.7(which had a better coverage in SA) it was lacking in the revenue department.

When you compare both 97-7 Rock and Party 97-7, Party seems to be gaining steam and most importantly, has more advertisers since the change in format. Bottom line, it was the right move.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:41 PM
Hyp

97 posts, read 122,051 times
What 97.7 is offering is the same as 96.1 & 94.1, but with less reception from satellites. I've gotten tired of what the radio plays, because on 2, now 3, or the radio stations here in Sa, they are playing the exact same thing. I love the idea that 97.7 is trying to make an all party/dance station, but with that said, they can not do the exact same thing as 2 other popular radio stations. This station def needs to bring something to the table in order to attract more people, and really to help Sa get out of the Top 40 mind frame that it has been in for the longest.
Electronic Dance Music (EDM) is growing faster and faster, but what I don't understand is why won't any station really take a chance, and put some good House music on the station. That would offer more of a variety of music to the station, keep the radio sounding less like the next, and also help introduce people to other music that is out around the world. David Guetta is a great influence to lots of the music that people are listening to, and have listened to in the last few years. But there are many more artists that have great music being played on the radio in Chicago, NY, LA, Miami, the major cities and it's successful. I'm not saying take off what music is being played, just put different songs on the radio then the same song 3 times in an hour and a half. And then when you have that on THREE stations, sometimes 4, it gets pretty ridiculous.
To the Sa radio stations looking at these forums, take a chance with new and different music. There is great music out there, I have seen reactions from people in clubs when I play House music (I Dj at a local bar) and they love it. Give it a chance...

Old 02-22-2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyp View Post
What 97.7 is offering is the same as 96.1 & 94.1, but with less reception from satellites. I've gotten tired of what the radio plays, because on 2, now 3, or the radio stations here in Sa, they are playing the exact same thing. I love the idea that 97.7 is trying to make an all party/dance station, but with that said, they can not do the exact same thing as 2 other popular radio stations. This station def needs to bring something to the table in order to attract more people, and really to help Sa get out of the Top 40 mind frame that it has been in for the longest.
Electronic Dance Music (EDM) is growing faster and faster, but what I don't understand is why won't any station really take a chance, and put some good House music on the station. That would offer more of a variety of music to the station, keep the radio sounding less like the next, and also help introduce people to other music that is out around the world. David Guetta is a great influence to lots of the music that people are listening to, and have listened to in the last few years. But there are many more artists that have great music being played on the radio in Chicago, NY, LA, Miami, the major cities and it's successful. I'm not saying take off what music is being played, just put different songs on the radio then the same song 3 times in an hour and a half. And then when you have that on THREE stations, sometimes 4, it gets pretty ridiculous.
To the Sa radio stations looking at these forums, take a chance with new and different music. There is great music out there, I have seen reactions from people in clubs when I play House music (I Dj at a local bar) and they love it. Give it a chance...
San Antonio and Houston play the most Dance music out of the four major cities in Texas. With the addition of Party 97-7, just increases the amount of Dance music being aired in SA.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:36 PM
Hyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguy View Post
San Antonio and Houston play the most Dance music out of the four major cities in Texas. With the addition of Party 97-7, just increases the amount of Dance music being aired in SA.
Depending on what you call Dance Music, i have to disagree with San Antonio being one of the major cities that places Dance music. the last few years, Austin's Dance music scene has grown leaps & bounds. They have a 2 hour radio show on 101X on saturday nights from 10pm-12am that is nothing but ACTUAL Dance music/House Music/EDM. As far as actual EVENTS for Dance Music, Sa is also lacking. 1st major city for Music is Austin, by far. They have events for EDM just about every week if not, every other week. Even during the week, they have a greater turn out then Sa does. Dallas & Houston would be a close 2nd & 3rd, and Sa would be following them.
As far as Pop music goes, Sa has lots of radio stations that promote the Top 40 music (Ke$ha, Taio Cruz, ect...) but as far as Electronic Dance Music is concerned, they play a lot less then the 3 other major cities. I love Sa, but Top 40 rules the radio and it sucks, because that in turn, hurts Sa from being educated with what other great music is out there. Most people follow others or only like what they know, and are not as opened minded for change. If a radio station would introduce them to different music, Sa would be a lot more lively place for music. Clubs would be a lot better with the music being played, the radio would be A LOT less repetitive, and people would be able to experience more music that moves people that DO know about it.
Once people experience House Music/EDM, they will be hooked. There are songs that move you without any vocals heard throughout the entire song. And then you have songs that people sing their hearts out to... There are multiple subgenre's of House Music that can appeal to everybody. There really is no boundaries.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:25 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,879,647 times
Quote:
They have a 2 hour radio show on 101X on saturday nights from 10pm-12am that is nothing but ACTUAL Dance music/House Music/EDM.
But San Antonio plays actual techno music!

Spoiler
I actually agree with you that real electronic music is not Top 40 and thus San Antonio has little real electronic music.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:47 PM
Hyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post

Spoiler
I actually agree with you that real electronic music is not Top 40 and thus San Antonio has little real electronic music.
Technically, no Techno is being played on the radio here in Sa. If you heard techno now-a-days, you prob would not like it. The actual genre of "techno" has changed so much over the years. Now it's very deep sounding, repetitive beats & instruments, nothing like what it used to be.
San Antonio plays a lot of top 40 upbeat pop music, which is great. But San Antonio, and the USA in general, is thirsty for Dance/House Music. The more it is listened to on the radio, the more popularity it gets with the actual EDM scene. If you are into that upbeat, feel good music, there are a bunch of events going on in Tx, San Antonio, Austin has TONS of events for the next few months, Houston & Dallas also. There is great music that come in Tx, most people just don't know about it though... :-/

Old 02-23-2011, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Depending on what you call Dance Music, i have to disagree with San Antonio being one of the major cities that places Dance music. the last few years, Austin's Dance music scene has grown leaps & bounds. They have a 2 hour radio show on 101X on saturday nights from 10pm-12am that is nothing but ACTUAL Dance music/House Music/EDM. As far as actual EVENTS for Dance Music, Sa is also lacking. 1st major city for Music is Austin, by far. They have events for EDM just about every week if not, every other week. Even during the week, they have a greater turn out then Sa does. Dallas & Houston would be a close 2nd & 3rd, and Sa would be following them.
As far as Pop music goes, Sa has lots of radio stations that promote the Top 40 music (Ke$ha, Taio Cruz, ect...) but as far as Electronic Dance Music is concerned, they play a lot less then the 3 other major cities. I love Sa, but Top 40 rules the radio and it sucks, because that in turn, hurts Sa from being educated with what other great music is out there. Most people follow others or only like what they know, and are not as opened minded for change. If a radio station would introduce them to different music, Sa would be a lot more lively place for music. Clubs would be a lot better with the music being played, the radio would be A LOT less repetitive, and people would be able to experience more music that moves people that DO know about it.
Once people experience House Music/EDM, they will be hooked. There are songs that move you without any vocals heard throughout the entire song. And then you have songs that people sing their hearts out to... There are multiple subgenre's of House Music that can appeal to everybody. There really is no boundaries.
I agree Austin Electronica/Dance music scene has increased over the last few years. However, the program you mentioned on Saturday nights on 101x, consisit of mainly underground artist. These are the same artist you can find locally on on Friday nights on 90.1.

The Dance music I am referring to artist like David Guetta, Edward Maya, Afrojack, Deadmau5 and others that recd local airplay on KTFM before they became "Hits".

Party 97-7 gives KTFM some good competition due to the fact they lean Top 40 with a Dance lean. In addition, Party 97-7 plays several Pop Remixes that many Top 40 radio stations around the country do not play.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:43 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,481,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post

Spoiler
First, I said it SOUNDS like techno. Just because something isn't underground doesn't mean it's not actually apart of an underground genre. When you have artists like Pitbull basically rapping over old EDM songs, what else are you going to call it? You probably don't even know that Pitbull is rapping over old house songs. So La Roux is not an electropop/synthpop band because they were in the Top 40?

If you hang out on EDM boards, fans and dj's are getting excited that EDM is crossing over mentioning Britney's "Hold it Against Me" (even has some dubstep thrown in there) and Black Eyed Peas "The Time." They also hope that the real EDM artists will get mainstream play, but they aren't in denial like you that EDM is taking over the Top 40. Whether you like it or not, Kesha and Lady Gaga are considered electropop. You may not think it's quality electropop, but it's electropop nonetheless. But I didn't have to tell you that; the guy you were agreeing with told you that. LOL. I have a few EDM songs on my mp3 player by DJ Tiesto, Paul Oakenfold, Ladytron, and Kylie Minogue (but you probably wouldn't count her either since she's mainstream). The huge Top 40 producers like Dr. Luke and Max Martin are now copying EDM styles.

The music today is fast, it's synth heavy, it has four-on-the-floor drum beats, it's EDM; get over it.

I think a lot of hip hop artists on the radio today are terrible, but I'm not going to say their music isn't hip hop; it's just bad quality hip hop.

Yes, artists like David Guetta and Deadmau5 have been getting played on Top 40 radio for awhile. LOL @ anyone who doesn't think they're EDM. On top of that, David Guetta has produced many of the latest Black Eyed Peas and Flo Rida hits. Just because someone is rapping over an EDM beat doesn't mean it's no longer an EDM beat. Afrojack is even producing music for Pitbull. When someone doesn't know what they're talking about, it's best to be silent.

Let me add that there are other EDM songs that are in the Top 40, but aren't getting much play in San Antonio. They are in the Top 40 though, so they are getting play somewhere. Edward Maya's "Stereo Love" is starting to get a lot of play though and he is in the Top 40. I guess that disqualifies him from being EDM too. LOL

Last edited by L210; 02-23-2011 at 03:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio