Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 09:09 AM

431 posts, read 1,205,050 times

Advertisements

All top 40 sounds like hip hop to me. And I've never liked that genre.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 01:19 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,881,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heimerswt View Post
All top 40 sounds like hip hop to me. And I've never liked that genre.
Oh, but haven't you heard? It is all technoz music <s>

Old 02-11-2011, 10:45 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,484,731 times
I am someone who knows the difference between the genres and can pick out the influences. Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, Britney Spears, Bruno Mars, and Kesha are not hip hop artists and most of them have more of an electropop influence in their music. I can actually go through the whole top 40 for you and you would be surprised at how many artists are not making hip hop.

Look up these artists and tell me if they sound like hip hop artists. Thompson Square, Taylor Swift, Kenny Chesney, Enrique Iglesias, Jason Aldean, Usher (his current music), OneRepublic, Train, Taio Cruz, Christina Perri, Avril Lavigne, Plain White T's, Pink, and Cee Lo Green.

And even some of the hip hop and r&b artists like Chris Brown, Pitbull, T-Pain, and Rihanna are making electronic dance music. If you care to learn more about the different genres and influences in today's popular music, just ask because I can tell some of you don't know the characteristics of hip hop or techno.

According to Ryan Seacrest's Top 40, there are only 6 or 7 songs that are hip hop or closely related. There are about 15 or 16 electropop songs in the Top 40 with heavy electronic dance influence and 6 of them are in the top 10. Eleven of them make up the top 20. There are no hip hop songs in Ryan Seacrest's top 20, but four of them are urban rhythmic so I'll give you that as far as "sounds like hip hop."

Last edited by L210; 02-11-2011 at 11:17 PM..

Old 02-11-2011, 11:55 PM

693 posts, read 1,503,189 times
This station is not that bad but it seems to just play the same music as 9.41 & 9.61. It does have a few different artist but not a ton it seems so far. How many top 40 stations do we need in SA? I want a good alternative/indie rock station. We have no good rock music besides the played out 99.5 & some classic rock stations. I love all kinds of genres but we're really lacking some alternative or indie music. SA's music scene stinks compared to Austin. Electropop is really popular at the moment and has taken hip hop out of the mainstream.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:17 AM

Unfortunately, rock is seeing a decline in its sales because its continuing popularity is mostly dependent upon old music; but rock album sales (even digital) are still beating hip hop and pop.

Rock music beats rap genre in album and digital sales due to back-catalogue popularity

I did once hear the same song on 94.1, 96.1, and 98.5 at the same time. Even as the government shuts down networks like LimeWire, the music industry is going to continue to hurt or maybe the quality of music will get better if illegal downloading stopped because there would be some incentive.

Last edited by L210; 02-12-2011 at 12:56 AM..

Old 02-12-2011, 07:58 AM

1,707 posts, read 2,985,909 times
Man, I listened to 97.7 Rock quite often. Although they played mainstream 'rock' and alternative, it was often better than listening to Usher and Katy Perry every 2 seconds. As people have mentioned, Party 97.7 has a very similar playlist to 94.1 and 96.1 (94.1 having a bit more of an adventurous playlist than the others). I wish Party 97.7 would play various songs further down the chart and be ahead of the trends. It's not that hard to predict what songs have hit potential... many British artists nowadays are crossing over (Tinie Tempah, Jessie J, Adele, La Roux, Jay Sean, etc.) and their top 40 is usually more varied than ours is. Electronic dance music is still growing in popularity so maybe mixing in some of the dance songs currently big in Europe, Oceania would pay off. Playing the same music as 94.1 and 96.1 doesn't give people an incentive to switch over from those stations which many people have listened to religiously for years.

Txmusicgal, I agree. I really wish we had a true alternative/indie station, one that would find and spin the music of rising local talents in addition to the "big" indie/alternative stars at the moment..

Old 02-12-2011, 09:24 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,881,338 times
There is an indie show every night on KRTU 91.7. There are also archives available online to listen to in the day. At times they will also play real electropop and synthpop music such as Ladytron, Crystal Castles, and Metronomy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
I can tell some of you don't know the characteristics of <snipped> techno.
lol

I am sure some of us actually remember what techno music is.

Last edited by Merovee; 02-12-2011 at 09:54 AM..

Old 02-12-2011, 05:52 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,051,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Even as the government shuts down networks like LimeWire, the music industry is going to continue to hurt or maybe the quality of music will get better if illegal downloading stopped because there would be some incentive.
I can tell you how thrilled my partners and I were when they finally shut down LimeWire. Peer2peer clients are one of the reasons we pay hefty RIAA fees (royalties) annually to run our 3 streaming stations. All of the music we play is either purchased by us or sent from record labels/promo agencies or independent artists.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
There is an indie show every night on KRTU 91.7. There are also archives available online to listen to in the day. At times they will also play real electropop and synthpop music such as Ladytron, Crystal Castles, and Metronomy.

lol

I am sure some of us actually remember what techno music is.
Then you would know that the house DJ David Guetta has produced many of the Top 40 songs in the past two years and he infuses house, techno, and trance styles into his productions.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:06 AM

874 posts, read 1,649,785 times
Damn, I hate this transition. Now there's only 99.5 for rock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio