Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 03:54 PM
Hyp

97 posts, read 122,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
I already produce, but I don't want to hand my music to anyone. The acts of today are embarrassing; they can't sing and they can't rap. But producers are making a ton of money through the labels which is why the artists are not. That's why I am all for artists who can at least write their own songs; it saves a lot of money. Producers at labels are selling their tracks for $30,000+ and they get royalties on top of that. The really big producers are getting over $100,000 per track. So yeah, like I said before, the artists who can't write or compose need record companies to put up the money.

Some artists have managed to build a following without much support from the labels. They may not be making Lady Gaga and Beyonce money, but they get their music out somehow. The bands at SXSW are a good example. They aren't heavily promoted by their labels, but plenty of people have discovered them through the internet and shows. I really think only a small percentage of artists are actually making real money. Most of these artists are living in and where things that the record labels bought them and then they're immediately broke when they're dropped.
Either you produce, & your work is not up to par, or you are scared that it is so good that maybe someone will steal your work? Either way, your work will never be heard of if you don't sell it to a record company. Or sign with a Label. Lots of people get support from local fans that they have built, but that money won't come until they get fans nation wide. Best way to do that is have a Record company promote you & your music. True musicians have their own sound, which is why House Music is where the trust artists are. Some not only compose their music, but also SING their music as well. There is no faking an Afrojack, DJ Chuckie, Dada Life, Congorock, ect... sound that they produce. Every single artist has their own sound that they makes them original Calvin Harris is one of the few producers that sings & composes his own music. That's where my heart has been because of the music, not where the money is. Most of the artists/producers/djs that are into the EDM scene get underground pay, no where NEAR what top 40/mainstream artists get. & I respect that they still do what they do for the love of the music.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 06:12 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,870,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Take this advice from someone who had the same experience back in the 90s. When you dislike most of the songs in the Top 40, that's a sign that you're getting too old for current music.
I sooooo very much beg to differ... I'm 26 years old and I stopped listening to Top 40 music when I was still in High School. The radio sucks, plain and simple.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:39 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,480,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyp View Post
Either you produce, & your work is not up to par, or you are scared that it is so good that maybe someone will steal your work? Either way, your work will never be heard of if you don't sell it to a record company. Or sign with a Label. Lots of people get support from local fans that they have built, but that money won't come until they get fans nation wide. Best way to do that is have a Record company promote you & your music. True musicians have their own sound, which is why House Music is where the trust artists are. Some not only compose their music, but also SING their music as well. There is no faking an Afrojack, DJ Chuckie, Dada Life, Congorock, ect... sound that they produce. Every single artist has their own sound that they makes them original Calvin Harris is one of the few producers that sings & composes his own music. That's where my heart has been because of the music, not where the money is. Most of the artists/producers/djs that are into the EDM scene get underground pay, no where NEAR what top 40/mainstream artists get. & I respect that they still do what they do for the love of the music.
I haven't presented my music to a record label because I'm considering rapping and singing over it. I'm not concerned about a record label stealing my music because it's copyrighted. I do not want my music handed off to some garbage rapper, that's how much I care about my music. And I don't want my music handed off to some Auto-Tune singer. I will not contribute to the mess that's on the radio today. Once I get vocals over my music, I will promote on the internet and locally. A record company would have to give me a really good deal to make me sign; otherwise, I'm not signing a deal for pennies. I'd rather make underground money than sell out.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:01 PM
Hyp

Quote:
I haven't presented my music to a record label because I'm considering rapping and singing over it. I'm not concerned about a record label stealing my music because it's copyrighted. I do not want my music handed off to some garbage rapper, that's how much I care about my music. And I don't want my music handed off to some Auto-Tune singer. I will not contribute to the mess that's on the radio today. Once I get vocals over my music, I will promote on the internet and locally. A record company would have to give me a really good deal to make me sign; otherwise, I'm not signing a deal for pennies. I'd rather make underground money than sell out.
So you're not selling out if you make A LOT of money off of whatever record label buys it, but you are if they don't pay you enough? I get what you're saying, but if you ever want your music to be heard, or maybe even help change the game back to what it was, you have to start somewhere. Baby steps before you walk. If your work is as good as you say it is, then getting it put out there by a record company would be best for you. That way you can get your foot in the door... Just because you do not approve of what is being played today, does not mean you can't shape tomorrow by the things you do today.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:32 PM

Quote:
So you're not selling out if you make A LOT of money off of whatever record label buys it, but you are if they don't pay you enough? I get what you're saying, but if you ever want your music to be heard, or maybe even help change the game back to what it was, you have to start somewhere. Baby steps before you walk. If your work is as good as you say it is, then getting it put out there by a record company would be best for you. That way you can get your foot in the door... Just because you do not approve of what is being played today, does not mean you can't shape tomorrow by the things you do today.
I would be selling out if I let record companies give my music to talentless artists. I wouldn't mind signing a deal where I have control over who my music goes to or even if I'm signed as an artist myself. Of course, I'd rather not sign if I couldn't get a fair deal. These producers out of Dallas or Houston were once on The Beat and they were talking about how they got a much better deal on their album than most artists because they knew how to negotiate for a good deal. If you go the way of Cash Money and No Limit, you can start your own record label and make a deal with a major label to distribute your music. That way, you own the rights to your songs and you make dollars off of each album sold instead of pennies. Even though Dr. Dre is under Interscope, he made a ton of money off of Eminem on his Aftermath label. He even made money off of 50 Cent who was under Eminem's record label because Eminem's record label was under Aftermath. Dr. Dre even pulled in money from artists on 50 Cent's G-Unit records which was under Slim Shady which was under Aftermath.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:37 AM
Hyp

Quote:
I would be selling out if I let record companies give my music to talentless artists. I wouldn't mind signing a deal where I have control over who my music goes to or even if I'm signed as an artist myself. Of course, I'd rather not sign if I couldn't get a fair deal. These producers out of Dallas or Houston were once on The Beat and they were talking about how they got a much better deal on their album than most artists because they knew how to negotiate for a good deal. If you go the way of Cash Money and No Limit, you can start your own record label and make a deal with a major label to distribute your music. That way, you own the rights to your songs and you make dollars off of each album sold instead of pennies. Even though Dr. Dre is under Interscope, he made a ton of money off of Eminem on his Aftermath label. He even made money off of 50 Cent who was under Eminem's record label because Eminem's record label was under Aftermath. Dr. Dre even pulled in money from artists on 50 Cent's G-Unit records which was under Slim Shady which was under Aftermath.
So did all those artists sell out because they joined such & such's label? No, they started making real money. Yes lots of people start their own record label which is the best way to do it, but that's hard and you have to be established as an artist, like most of the people who have done it do.
If your work is good, I'm sure you would have artists coming to you to make songs with you. But you have to be known of what work you can do first...

Old 04-25-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
So did all those artists sell out because they joined such & such's label? No, they started making real money. Yes lots of people start their own record label which is the best way to do it, but that's hard and you have to be established as an artist, like most of the people who have done it do.
If your work is good, I'm sure you would have artists coming to you to make songs with you. But you have to be known of what work you can do first...
Some of those artists are making real money. A very small percentage of people get signed (it's not always the most talented people) and an even smaller percentage actually turn a profit for the label. If you're album is not blowing up, the label is not going to pay a bunch of money for you to tour. Then you risk having the label telling you how they want you to sound.

Cash Money and No Limit started without being well-known. At that time, southern rappers weren't getting signed, so they had no choice but to market their own music. I had some locals message me on Sound Click, but they were horrible, so I didn't stay in touch. I'm not in a rush to put my music out right now because I'm concentrating on getting my degree.

The good thing is that that new urban station is open to playing local music from all genres. They will put it on as long as it's radio quality. Too bad the station is only in HD. I went to school with some local guys who are signed to a local label and they managed to get two songs in regular rotation on The Beat. Albeit, they've been at it for about 7 years traveling to places like Atlanta (which became the most popular city in hip hop a few years ago) and they never got signed or national attention. They basically suck, but they're making money somehow.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:51 AM
Hyp

Quote:
Some of those artists are making real money. A very small percentage of people get signed (it's not always the most talented people) and an even smaller percentage actually turn a profit for the label. If you're album is not blowing up, the label is not going to pay a bunch of money for you to tour. Then you risk having the label telling you how they want you to sound.

Cash Money and No Limit started without being well-known. At that time, southern rappers weren't getting signed, so they had no choice but to market their own music. I had some locals message me on Sound Click, but they were horrible, so I didn't stay in touch. I'm not in a rush to put my music out right now because I'm concentrating on getting my degree.

The good thing is that that new urban station is open to playing local music from all genres. They will put it on as long as it's radio quality. Too bad the station is only in HD. I went to school with some local guys who are signed to a local label and they managed to get two songs in regular rotation on The Beat. Albeit, they've been at it for about 7 years traveling to places like Atlanta (which became the most popular city in hip hop a few years ago) and they never got signed or national attention. They basically suck, but they're making money somehow.
You have to think, When Cash Money was on top of the game with the Hot Boyz, the industry was different then. Southern music was starting to get very popular. & even then, music was not being downloaded illegally like it is today, so people HAD to pay for that cd in order for them to have it for themselves. Internet wasn't even as fast back then, I think I had dial up haha.
In this industry, as well as life, it's not about what you know, but WHO you know. I'm sure you're aware of that. People that may not have as much skill/talent may get something over somebody that has MORE skill/talent because of who they know. So if you want to keep making music for your ears only, then do it. But just think about what you do if you start off somewhere, then build yourself up enough to start calling the shots...

Old 04-25-2011, 03:01 PM

218 posts, read 501,679 times
I haven't read through all the pages, but do people have problems with reception of this channel? I live by 1604/Bandera and I can never get reception at all. The only time I was able to tune in was when I was driving down I-10 going downtown.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:21 PM
Hyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandR View Post
I haven't read through all the pages, but do people have problems with reception of this channel? I live by 1604/Bandera and I can never get reception at all. The only time I was able to tune in was when I was driving down I-10 going downtown.
Ya there is bad reception for this station :-/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio