Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2011, 09:33 AM

3,542 posts, read 8,246,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyp View Post
Just got back from Miami, and walking around in south beach, at local restaurants, they were playing House Music with artists like Deadmau5, Kaskade, David Guetta just to name a few. People had no problem with it. I just don't understand why nobody takes that step to letting other people know that there is other music in the world. I didn't hear much of their radio stations because I was partying lol. But throughout all of South Beach, they had great music playing, that is catchy. It just annoys the hell out of me, that nobody in Sa has tried something like this.
There's an EDM scene in SA... it's just more or less in the underground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 09:47 AM
Hyp

97 posts, read 122,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonySA View Post
There's an EDM scene in SA... it's just more or less in the underground.
Trust me bro, I'm in that scene. There is literally a handful of people who really enjoy the music, and go for it. Then you have a bunch of new breed kids that go for the drugs. That's not what the scene should be about. People come out when they hear BIG dj's come, not when they have oldschool dj's that paved the way. Above & Beyond was a great turn out (even though I did not go) at Club Rio, Tiesto 2 sundays ago was awesome, couple thousand people. But when you get oldschool dj's like Donald Glaude, DJ Bam Bam, Alex Peace, Willie Morales, Dj Irene, Charles Feelgood, people that have build our scene, they get no love... Sucks... Imagine how many more people would actually be in the scene, if they knew about the music that the people in the scene know. That would def help out Sa with knowledge of more music, and a chance for them to experience the love, happiness, and memories we share who are in the EDM scene.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:18 PM

81 posts, read 218,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
In cities that have R&B stations, there is a higher percentage of African-American residents. In San Antonio, according to City-Data.com, that percentage is just 6.4% with 23% of that segment living below the poverty line. The lack of stations implies that it's not a large enough or attractive enough market for advertisers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguy View Post
Because the demographics do not support an R&B format. 94.1 is Top 40 with a Rhythmic lean. I believe you meant 95.1(Spanish Top 40). Anyhow, all four stations you mentioned carry four different Spanish formats.

Anyhow, I love Party 97.7. It's definitely different from 94.1 and 96.1.

The San Antonio demographics actually do support R&B. Even at 6.5%, there are 140K blacks in the San Antonio Area- more if you count the bases and posts-and poverty is not unique to blacks. There is little community support from San Antonio’s affluent blacks and even less from the community in general. Sure, we all come out for the MLK March, but afterwards it is business as usual. I remember when 1480 KAPE (R&B)went off and it has been down hill since. When KSJL (hip-hop) went off in 1999, the announcers said the station was highly rated and they were shocked about the format change. It was not the best station I have heard, but it was good. We no longer have African American Night at the rodeo. I get San Antonio is primarily a Mexican American city, followed by Anglo Americans, and the majority of resources will go to the larger groups. However, how many radio stations can you listen to? There are towns with less than 140K people that have multiple R&B stations. We don't even have a community support station. So it is not the demographics, it is a lack of commitment that keeps R&B off the air in San Antonio.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:10 PM
Hyp

97 posts, read 122,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schertz1 View Post
The San Antonio demographics actually do support R&B. Even at 6.5%, there are 140K blacks in the San Antonio Area- more if you count the bases and posts-and poverty is not unique to blacks. There is little community support from San Antonio’s affluent blacks and even less from the community in general. Sure, we all come out for the MLK March, but afterwards it is business as usual. I remember when 1480 KAPE (R&B)went off and it has been down hill since. When KSJL (hip-hop) went off in 1999, the announcers said the station was highly rated and they were shocked about the format change. It was not the best station I have heard, but it was good. We no longer have African American Night at the rodeo. I get San Antonio is primarily a Mexican American city, followed by Anglo Americans, and the majority of resources will go to the larger groups. However, how many radio stations can you listen to? There are towns with less than 140K people that have multiple R&B stations. We don't even have a community support station. So it is not the demographics, it is a lack of commitment that keeps R&B off the air in San Antonio.
Agreed. Music is not about the color of the skin, just who enjoys it. Very well said sir

Old 04-01-2011, 08:14 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,480,242 times
The whole ethnicity argument is hard for me to believe. I believe the past and current hip hop/r&b stations have been heavily supported by the Hispanic population. Pocos pero Locos is proof that there are lot of Hispanics listening to and making hip hop/r&b music.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:22 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,624,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
97.7 is owned by Univision just like 98.5 The Beat, so those two stations are not competing. The new Party 97.7 is competing with 94.1 and 96.1. Great! Now we're stuck again with only one modern rock station that sucks and three Top 40 stations when Top 40 is at its worst as far as I can remember.
what modern rock station? there is no 'rock' station here, though 99.5 is making an attempt to play decent music finally...

Old 04-01-2011, 09:46 PM

Black Sabbath, Metallica, Pearl Jam, Pantera, Godsmack, Foo Fighters, and Deftones aren't rock bands? They were the last time I checked.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:09 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,261,700 times
Let's face reality. 98% of SA's stations fall into these three categories --- tejano, counrty, hip-hop. I'm glad we are just starting to get classic rock, modern rock, and ok i'll say it... party 97.7. It's sad that the only time I get to find out what the latest songs are, I have to go out to a club or watch MTv, or....DRIVE TO AUSTIN. I don't LIKE 97.7, but at least it keeps me in touch with the latest pop bs on the radio.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:17 PM

97.7 is playing the same new music as 94.1 and 96.1.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:30 AM

448 posts, read 919,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Let's face reality. 98% of SA's stations fall into these three categories --- tejano, counrty, hip-hop. I'm glad we are just starting to get classic rock, modern rock, and ok i'll say it... party 97.7. It's sad that the only time I get to find out what the latest songs are, I have to go out to a club or watch MTv, or....DRIVE TO AUSTIN. I don't LIKE 97.7, but at least it keeps me in touch with the latest pop bs on the radio.
You make absolutely no sense. Please stop posting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio