Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2013, 02:22 PM

915 posts, read 1,904,512 times

Advertisements

Cappy's for brunch. They make a great gumbo, but the pot roast was salty and parts overcooked and dry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 10:13 AM

3,216 posts, read 8,557,580 times
Pasha Mediterranean... (Vineyard)

Had the Pasha Kebab Combo (Beef Kebab and Beef Koobideh)...yummy. Extended family enjoyed everything, especially the fresh, hot bread (naan or pits). A definite return!

Old 01-06-2013, 02:25 PM

490 posts, read 1,094,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneOf48 View Post
I agree about The Boiler House, especially with regard to price. I actually thought some of the food was good. The lame live music was really a bummer, though.
I recently hosted an event at the Boiler House for about 50 people. The planning process left something to be desired, but the food was pretty good, albeit all hors d'oeuvres type fare.

Tried Nao recently, and aside from some ceviche that didn't have much flavor, was quite pleased. Nopal & Panela and Nao Taco de jour were especially good.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:14 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,456,953 times
Max's Wine Dive...had the wings and pancake...just ok. Darlin Hubby had the burger...VERY good. Their fry dust is AMAZING!

Old 01-06-2013, 07:48 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,682,390 times
Yard House. Impressive menu, even more impressive beer list. Food was bleh. Calamari was nasty and rubbery.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:54 PM

501 posts, read 776,897 times
Il Sogno -amazingly good food...no surprise. Fifty-something obnoxious drunk gal flinging sugar cubes around the room...kind of a surprise here.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:21 AM

1,707 posts, read 2,984,591 times
Luther's Cafe.. had some tacos and they were good

Old 01-07-2013, 12:44 PM

5,583 posts, read 6,510,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
My dining room. Bacon wrapped smoked turkey, fresh roasted Brussels sprouts with red onion, and Marie roasted potatoes.
Mmmmmm, brussel sprouts. Not many people like them, and it has been awhile since I have had them. Your home made meal sounds yummy! "Marie" roasted potatoes, I am going to assume that is the name of the woman who made them? Anything special about them or are they just roased potatoes?

Old 01-07-2013, 12:50 PM

5,583 posts, read 6,510,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Since yesterday's visit to Government Canyon was a bust due to the trails being closed after the rain, I took the family to Bobby J's Old Fashion Hamburgers.

Wide selection of burgers on the menu. I tried the Frito Pie burger. It was good, but not great. Fries were good, similar to Chester's. Others tried the crispy chicken salad, fried pickles and some other burger. They liked them OK.

Mrs. Bo thought she smelled sewer gas in the dining room. I was too congested to smell anything.

On balance, I'm fairly sure we'd go back if we were in the area, but it wasn't special enough to warrant a special trip to Helotes.
I went to BobbyJ's once, and was not impressed. I just cannot justify the price charged for burgers and fries at these specialty restaurants. If I want a burger, I get one off the dollar menu at a fast food joint. I think it is outrageous the cost of a Big Mac, Quarter pounder, etc. so I don't get them. I can make burgers at home, the boutique price of them at these high-end restaurants is outrageous. Then again, I am not a big eater, if I am hungry a bowl of cereal will do the trick. When I go out I want to go to a restaurant where I can order food I don't make at home. JMHO.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:55 PM

77 posts, read 162,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vankai View Post
Las Palapas at Bandera and 1604 is now Mia's Mexican Grill........(family feud again?)

We gave it a try this evening, waited 40 minutes for 'cold' enchiladas and 'cold' tacos al carbon..........but hey, the beans were hot.

Las Palapas $$
Mia's $$$

Yes, 40 minutes
I agree, this place sucked. I was hoping it was just a Las Palapas name change for some reason. Waited for about 15 minutes in the drive thru for enchiladas. When I got home and opened it up, I was really let down. The food was just thrown in there as a mess and it wasnt warm or even good. We used to eat at the Palapas all the time but I will never go back to Mia's.

Went on to yelp.com just to check out reviews and i was shocked to see all the good reviews saying how great the food was. I usually take online reviews with a grain of salt but those just seemed to good. I know of 5 people who have been there and none went back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio