Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2012, 03:00 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,416,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
I still see a lot of the same positions listed 6+ months later on Indeed or their website careers sections
They're probably just posting positions to fulfill green card application requirements for quality foreign employees already working there, although 6 months does seem like a bit long for such purposes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 03:29 PM

354 posts, read 385,812 times
Quote:
Software is big in the Bay Area and a lot of other places, problem is your not going to see people with a BSME working in software. It's a completely different animal more focused around a Computer Science degree. Aside from the math, there is very little that crosses over from a BSME degree and you won't have the right credentials.
Oops! what i meant was, what other areas of CA are good for mechanical engineering?

Old 12-05-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taydigga View Post
It'll work out, just work hard and don't sweat the small stuff. Come back and let me know how it goes!
I certainly will! I'll be the next success story haha

Old 12-05-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
LinkedIn, open introductions start there.
I cant really even begin there without knowing who is involved in the company (searching names) or even what companies to focus on...unless i just google and search the companies that come up with the general mechanical engineering firms near SD...

hmmm.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:44 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,277,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by divagotstyle07 View Post
I cant really even begin there without knowing who is involved in the company (searching names) or even what companies to focus on...unless i just google and search the companies that come up with the general mechanical engineering firms near SD...

hmmm.
Divago,

Here are two business publications.

San Diego Business Journal Homepage | San Diego Business Journal
San Diego Source | The Daily Transcript

My suggestion is to look up the type of sector you want to be in from these websites. Then cross reference those companies in Linkedin and start contacting there by company. There might be an HR person or someone that you can contact in regards to shadowing or getting an oppt to speak with. I have had 3 people actually contact me this way via linkedin and 'learn' about what we did etc. One of them I took on as an intern years ago and now works here full time.

Also there should be some trade publications for ME's that are regional. That could help you find some firm names.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Divago,

Here are two business publications.

San Diego Business Journal Homepage | San Diego Business Journal
San Diego Source | The Daily Transcript

My suggestion is to look up the type of sector you want to be in from these websites. Then cross reference those companies in Linkedin and start contacting there by company. There might be an HR person or someone that you can contact in regards to shadowing or getting an oppt to speak with. I have had 3 people actually contact me this way via linkedin and 'learn' about what we did etc. One of them I took on as an intern years ago and now works here full time.

Also there should be some trade publications for ME's that are regional. That could help you find some firm names.

excellent advice. is there any "opening line" you'd suggest?! I have a feeling most HR people would just not respond, and/or tell me they're too busy...??

Old 12-05-2012, 04:24 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,277,935 times
Quote:
excellent advice. is there any "opening line" you'd suggest?! I have a feeling most HR people would just not respond, and/or tell me they're too busy...??
Yes, HR people possibly might be more reluctant. Still even getting familiar with staff names wouldnt hurt if the oppt presented itself where you could name drop (eg. og you mean Susie Sunshine in HR?)

Directors and higher that I work/worked with would actually feel more than flattered to at least share some dialogue with you via phone, coffee etc. Of course given there arent some pressing projects happening. You just have to be persistent.
We are all pretty busy these days but even then, I wouldnt take it as being pestering if you were contacting me.
To not waste their time, it would be wise to learn something about the company and that based on your little experience so far would really like to hear more about the company or what it is that they do best. Also be honest and frank. I mean you dont have a job but you are also fresh out of school and want to absorb everything like a sponge. In the back of your mind, you need to think that this company can use you.
Remember that this is a learning assignment and about exposing yourself. Dont be afraid to ask questions relevant to the business success/challenges and oppts. You are an engineer but that doesnt mean you cant but on your business hat. Think on your feet.

Just think of all the other people that are sending in resumes hitting the wall. Something as simple as doing some homework on companies and actually contacting them because you are interested in learning about them can really set you apart from the pack.

I have met many brilliant people and only a small percentage of them go on to be successful in their careers they know how to give themselves the right visibility. You will see that some of the most mediocre workers move up faster than some of the hardest working or talented.

Last edited by shmoov_groovzsd; 12-05-2012 at 04:46 PM..

Old 12-05-2012, 07:37 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,594,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
They're probably just posting positions to fulfill green card application requirements for quality foreign employees already working there, although 6 months does seem like a bit long for such purposes...
Maybe, but I think it's more based on low salaries. Example: One said $60K/year, 10 years experience, BSME required or MSME preferred

Old 12-05-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:

hmmm.
What sector interests you the most? What industries did you intern in? What is your current skill level, are you fluent in any CAD/CAE/FEA tools? Or do you desire a less technical role and more management? Just remember you have to crawl before you walk, get into the door at some place and build your career from there. I worked in several sectors before I figured out what I wanted to do, now after all these years I still get hit with job inquires in fields I have no experience in, Oil/Energy/Greentech and etc.

LinkedIn will allow you to search companies by zip codes, just do a search, then look at employees, almost all have recruiters listed, you can do open introductions with them and inquire, send them your resume and see what happens.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Oops! what i meant was, what other areas of CA are good for mechanical engineering?
It all depends on what sector, but overall the jobs that you hear about in tech are all centered around the Bay area which has the best job market if you can stomach the high COL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego