Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2013, 06:51 PM

88 posts, read 205,628 times

Advertisements

Great post and I'm glad you enjoyed San Diego. I have some similarities to you - I'm 23 (an animal lover too) and trying to make the move from the Northeast. Unfortunately, my career choice doesn't pay as well and although I've heard SD is a "biotech hub", I am optimistically cautious. Boston is supposedly a hub too, but getting a good paying job for a college grad with 1 year experience is very competitive, even though my resume is instate.

Please keep us updated on what transpires ... I'm ready for a change and like to hear success stories about moving to San Diego!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 11:38 AM

354 posts, read 385,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandgal View Post
Having a free place to stay definitely will change manys advice about moving out here. It would be nuts not to come!

ahh, something we can agree on!

Old 01-15-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoebePaddy View Post
Great post and I'm glad you enjoyed San Diego. I have some similarities to you - I'm 23 (an animal lover too) and trying to make the move from the Northeast. Unfortunately, my career choice doesn't pay as well and although I've heard SD is a "biotech hub", I am optimistically cautious. Boston is supposedly a hub too, but getting a good paying job for a college grad with 1 year experience is very competitive, even though my resume is instate.

Please keep us updated on what transpires ... I'm ready for a change and like to hear success stories about moving to San Diego!

I know how you feel!! I will certainly let you know what happens with me, and I hope you do the same

Old 01-15-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyinsd View Post
And if you think that this was good, remember, this is BAD weather for us. You got some rain, which only happens about ten percent of the time. And it was also colder than normal.

Yeah, you're going to like it here. When you get settled in, give me a shout. I'll meet you somewhere downtown and we can laugh at the naysayers.

hahaha I'll be taking you up on that!!

Old 01-18-2013, 05:11 PM

26 posts, read 89,033 times
I wish you lucky hunny, naysayers or not, save up for six months, be prepared for dirty work if you don't get what you need right away. I've seen many people with Masters Degrees in Science fields behind sushi bars and as waiters. They all were attractive as well. San Diego is filled with people who wanted to be her and leave. The weather is awesome yes but just plan ahead.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:18 AM

Visiting again in March for my spring break-- and yes, i'll be job hunting ;-) actually meeting with a recruiter too! just wanted to give all of you a quick update.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:25 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,386,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by divagotstyle07 View Post
actually meeting with a recruiter too!
Great about another visit. Just take recruiters with a grain of salt in San Diego. I've never used one before although gotten several calls over the years from them. From what friends tell me in San Diego they aren't that great. And the ones that ARE useful are usually more geared towards people with a strong track record of achievement, "rainmakers" and people with significant experience.

So I'd go into the "recruiter" part of this with a realistic view. Most recruiters in San Diego are going to be almost worthless for someone graduating fresh out of college.

Good luck.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:52 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,975,820 times
It depends on whether it's a recruiter for a placement firm or someone who's with a company itself. A lot of larger companies have recruiters on staff. And as an engineer, if she's got a meeting with one of those types of recruiters, it's a big plus.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:09 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,777,870 times
A lot of smaller companies also contract with recruiters, especially startups because they can't afford the expense of full time HR people.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:14 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,386,046 times
Sure. I didn't mean to imply that all recruiters will be worthless for the OP. However, it's good to understand both sides of that perspective. By no means am I trying to bring the OP down. But it makes sense to understand the dynamics of recruiters in San Diego for someone graduating from college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego