Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2023, 10:25 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,968,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Yes. Corpus Christi and south Padre island are hours from any major city. The overwhelming majority of the population centers of the IE will have you in LA and OC in under an hour.

Speaking of C’mon man, the IE is more than San Bernardino.

I guess Barstow is technically in the IE because SB County runs to Nevada, but I don’t think most consider it part of it? Bakersfield is in Kern County which is not. Those two should never be put together anyways. Barstow is where you get gas going to Vegas, Bakersfield is a legit city, and probably 25x the size of Barstow. You’re definitely not walking it in 10 minutes. They have a CSU with division 1 sports, as well as multiple minor league teams.

My buddy grew up there and lives there now with his family to be near his parents. I’ve met up to surf when staying at my cabin and he can be in Malibu in 2 hours. I’ve also met him to go sailing out of Ventura and that takes him 2 hours as well. While it wouldn’t be on the top of my list of places to live, where I am at in life I could be very content there.

Bakersfield is called the Texas of California.

I've lived in Austin in 2021. You could go to San Antonio in 75 minutes. Houston (Which I hate) in 2.5 hours and Dallas in the same amount of time. There's a lot to do in Texas if driving two hours is a reasonable distance. Which I don't.

I referred specifically to the IE. No one considers Barstow the IE. That's High Desert. I consider Barstow where dreams go to die. I use to work there many years ago, everyone was miserable and quite shady.

Palm Springs ain't the IE either. That's Low Desert. Very different lifestyle out there compared to the IE. Mainly crippling summer heat and simply too far to commute to LA/OC/SD. People there commute to the IE for blue collar jobs.

I have family in Beaumont and Joshua Tree. So I go to the IE and adjacent areas often enough still.

I'll gladly pay the high prices here for the lifestyle. I went to a rooftop pool party yesterday in downtown yesterday. 10 minute drive. I hiked Torrey Pines today. 20 minute drive. I wouldn't really want to do either if I had to drive 2 hours each way. That's just sad when you really consider it.

If someone is that obsessed with being a homeowner in a cheaper place...prepare to stay in that house. People in 'cheaper' areas don't go out as much. Because there isn't that much to do. Unless you drive two hours...see that works?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2023, 05:52 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,574,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Palm Springs ain't the IE either. That's Low Desert. Very different lifestyle out there compared to the IE. Mainly crippling summer heat and simply too far to commute to LA/OC/SD. People there commute to the IE for blue collar jobs.

I have family in Beaumont and Joshua Tree. So I go to the IE and adjacent areas often enough still.

I'll gladly pay the high prices here for the lifestyle. I went to a rooftop pool party yesterday in downtown yesterday. 10 minute drive. I hiked Torrey Pines today. 20 minute drive. I wouldn't really want to do either if I had to drive 2 hours each way. That's just sad when you really consider it.

If someone is that obsessed with being a homeowner in a cheaper place...prepare to stay in that house. People in 'cheaper' areas don't go out as much. Because there isn't that much to do. Unless you drive two hours...see that works?

This was more along the lines of my thinking. That's fine if some, or most, don't mind driving several hours to the north, south, or west.

But that is a lot of time in the car. Palm Springs to San Diego, or even Los Angeles? Horrible drive at almost any hour now. Even recently I've seen standstill traffic when you get off the 10, all the way to Temecula if going to San Diego. I do mean, quite literally, 30 or more miles of wall-to-wall traffic, starting even in the very early afternoon. No toll roads until you are well into San Diego county. I won't even attempt going to LA it's so bad. If I'm in the Coachella Valley, I'm staying put.

Going north on the 215 and the 395 will be better traffic, but man I hate that drive too. Significant portions are one-lane freeway, and numerous traffic lights all along the route. I understand people disagree, but, one-lane freeways with only a yellow line protecting you from a head-on collision with a semi (or the many cars coming the other way looking to pass) -- it is a massive suck.

Old 05-01-2023, 08:48 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,258,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USDefault View Post
This was more along the lines of my thinking. That's fine if some, or most, don't mind driving several hours to the north, south, or west.

But that is a lot of time in the car. Palm Springs to San Diego, or even Los Angeles? Horrible drive at almost any hour now. Even recently I've seen standstill traffic when you get off the 10, all the way to Temecula if going to San Diego. I do mean, quite literally, 30 or more miles of wall-to-wall traffic, starting even in the very early afternoon. No toll roads until you are well into San Diego county. I won't even attempt going to LA it's so bad. If I'm in the Coachella Valley, I'm staying put.

Going north on the 215 and the 395 will be better traffic, but man I hate that drive too. Significant portions are one-lane freeway, and numerous traffic lights all along the route. I understand people disagree, but, one-lane freeways with only a yellow line protecting you from a head-on collision with a semi (or the many cars coming the other way looking to pass) -- it is a massive suck.
We typically prefer the route between Palm Desert and Temecula, which is more scenic and less traveled. But it gets hard to choose PD vs Idylwilld once you get to that fork in the road!

Old 05-01-2023, 09:31 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,452,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post

I agree. I personally wouldn’t want to be inland that far because I still like to surf more days than not, but it all depends on where you’re at in life. If your life consists of going to rooftop pool parties downtown being inland a couple of hours probably isn’t for you. But if your life is M-F, 9-5, with kids, it isn’t as much of a deal breaker.

My friends that grew up in the likes of Bakersfield, Palmdale, etc, did all the same things I did here in San Diego. On the weekends when they didn’t have sports, activities, etc, they (or should I say their parents) just drove further for the occasional trip to the beach, sporting events, amusement parks, etc.

Where you’re at in life also plays into how much you stay home whether you’re in a cheap area or not? I can be anywhere from Del Mar to IB and all parts in between in 25 minutes or less, but if we’re not at our place in the mountains on the weekends we’re usually just kicking it at the pad.

Old 05-01-2023, 12:25 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,468,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
I agree. I personally wouldn’t want to be inland that far because I still like to surf more days than not, but it all depends on where you’re at in life. If your life consists of going to rooftop pool parties downtown being inland a couple of hours probably isn’t for you. But if your life is M-F, 9-5, with kids, it isn’t as much of a deal breaker.
Yeah I mean no one wants me at their downtown pool party.

Other than a baseball game a couple times a year I never go downtown. We rent a condo in carlsbad for a few nights a year to get our beach fix. I like suburbia because I hate crowds and noise. I don't care about restaurants, walkable neighborhoods, really any of that stuff.

To each his own. I really don't see the appeal of TX or AZ other than it is cheaper and you get more for the money. If moving to the IE meant I could stay in CA...near friends and family... I would consider it. I would say for people in LA area, IE is not so stigmatized, but in SD it is regarded as a total dump.

There's a reason it's fast growing.
https://news.ucr.edu/articles/2022/1...lourished-2022

Old 05-01-2023, 07:59 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,287,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSD1995 View Post
Yeah I mean no one wants me at their downtown pool party.

Other than a baseball game a couple times a year I never go downtown. We rent a condo in carlsbad for a few nights a year to get our beach fix. I like suburbia because I hate crowds and noise. I don't care about restaurants, walkable neighborhoods, really any of that stuff.

To each his own. I really don't see the appeal of TX or AZ other than it is cheaper and you get more for the money. If moving to the IE meant I could stay in CA...near friends and family... I would consider it. I would say for people in LA area, IE is not so stigmatized, but in SD it is regarded as a total dump.

There's a reason it's fast growing.
https://news.ucr.edu/articles/2022/1...lourished-2022
Many San Diegans exist in a bubble.

Can't tell you how many times I've encountered San Diegans who have a) never rode Amtrak, b) never been to mainstream tourist attractions in Los Angeles, c) lack basic knowledge about the greater southern California region.

Even if one lived in a core urban district in one of the big Texas cities, I need an explainer on how that would be a more exciting life than living in the IE.

Old 05-01-2023, 08:41 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,447,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSD1995 View Post
I would say for people in LA area, IE is not so stigmatized, but in SD it is regarded as a total dump.

My view was definitely tainted by my parents opinion (silent gen who moved from LA to SD in the 60s). Growing up, it was just "Riverside" with no other distinction and my mom and dad definitely had the opinion it was a dump --same thoughts re: LA which is partly why they left. In reality, it probably wasn't even that bad back then because so much of it was undeveloped. It just wasn't San Diego, I guess, and San Diego was a super nice area that was skating beneath the radar of transplants other than military folks.

Old 05-01-2023, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Many San Diegans exist in a bubble.

Can't tell you how many times I've encountered San Diegans who have a) never rode Amtrak, b) never been to mainstream tourist attractions in Los Angeles, c) lack basic knowledge about the greater southern California region.

Even if one lived in a core urban district in one of the big Texas cities, I need an explainer on how that would be a more exciting life than living in the IE.

Self-imposed bubble for me. Everything I need exists here for the most part. But for the record, I've done (a) on both coasts and (b) numerous times throughout my life. Not sure what (c) really means. As for the last part, Rancho Cucamonga over Dallas just because I'd never live in Texas by choice.

Old 05-01-2023, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USDefault View Post

The 395 is a necessary evil to get to many places I enjoy. But I agree. I've had more near misses on that stretch of highway than anywhere else in the state and I've driven this place corner to corner. Getting from here to Lone Pine in one piece is always an accomplishment.

Old 05-01-2023, 11:22 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,468,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
The 395 is a necessary evil to get to many places I enjoy. But I agree. I've had more near misses on that stretch of highway than anywhere else in the state and I've driven this place corner to corner. Getting from here to Lone Pine in one piece is always an accomplishment.
Driving up 4am Thursday for this weekend. Will be on the lift by 10a.

I have probably done it 50 times. Once got completely stuck for 4 hours due to RV vs semi near Olancha. The 2 lane sections are not a big deal. The worst part is 15 > 215 southbound thru Cajon pass… and San Diego county !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego