Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 01:02 AM

24,409 posts, read 26,986,736 times

Advertisements

Oakland is still pretty bad and the culture is giving it little hope to become a desirable city.

Mob goes on teddy bear rampage at Oakland carnival; $30K lost - SFGate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 08:09 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Oakland is still pretty bad and the culture is giving it little hope to become a desirable city.

Mob goes on teddy bear rampage at Oakland carnival; $30K lost - SFGate
1. That wasn't downtown (which is the discussion here)
2. The carnival is in a crappy part of town - near the Coliseum and that's where the vast majority stuff goes down already.

Old 03-16-2017, 10:44 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,043,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
1. That wasn't downtown (which is the discussion here)
2. The carnival is in a crappy part of town - near the Coliseum and that's where the vast majority stuff goes down already.
I just drove by that carnival last Sunday and commented to my wife about how I'd never set foot in a sh**ty, run down carnival that's in one of the worst areas of Oakland.

Honestly, I like a lot of things about Oakland, but in all reality that type of horrible out-of-control behavior just doesn't happen throughout the rest of the Bay Area. It's just fact. That's my issue with Oakland...yes, it has some great neighborhoods and great people. The bad neighborhoods and the bad people who commit acts like this in Oakland are REALLY bad.

I've spent a large portion of my life in East San Jose and have spent lots of time downtown over the years. I'd never expect to see this sort of thing happen in either of those areas...and there are plenty of thug-ish types of people who hang out there.

People can sugar coat Oakland all they want, but the reality is that lots of horrible things happen there on a very frequent basis and it's in a whole other league, even when comparing it to other bad parts of the Bay Area. I think Oakland residents are just numb to it.

One of my managers I work for lives just above I-580, only a few blocks away from Trestle Glen. He's told me he loves it there...and then in the same breath goes on to tell me about the frequent muggings and home break-ins in the neighborhood. He and his girlfriend have had both of their cars severely vandalized 3 times recently! I can't fathom living in a neighborhood where this type of stuff is normal and acceptable! He talks about it so matter-of-fact like it's no big deal!

Old 03-16-2017, 11:53 AM

It's the sugar coating that has created this blatant culture of we can do whatever we want if it's a group of people and there is no accountability. People constantly telling a certain group/class of people they are victims, which then emboldens them to commit such acts of crime with no thought that they are doing anything wrong. Congratulations Oakland!

Last edited by bmw335xi; 03-16-2017 at 12:03 PM..

Old 03-16-2017, 12:00 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,787,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post

People can sugar coat Oakland all they want, but the reality is that lots of horrible things happen there on a very frequent basis and it's in a whole other league, even when comparing it to other bad parts of the Bay Area. I think Oakland residents are just numb to it.

One of my managers I work for lives just above I-580, only a few blocks away from Trestle Glen. He's told me he loves it there...and then in the same breath goes on to tell me about the frequent muggings and home break-ins in the neighborhood. He and his girlfriend have had both of their cars severely vandalized 3 times recently! I can't fathom living in a neighborhood where this type of stuff is normal and acceptable! He talks about it so matter-of-fact like it's no big deal!
It's amazing that San Francisco can have a much worse problem with windows being broken yet it will get a pass.Anecdotally my street in Oakland has mostly Teslas and Porsches and I don't recall any windows broken

Why Can't San Francisco Stop Its Epidemic of Window Smashing
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...policy/479880/

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...s-10975263.php
5 cars on Dolores park All with broken windows

Old 03-16-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
It's amazing that San Francisco can have a much worse problem with windows being broken yet it will get a pass.Anecdotally my street in Oakland has mostly Teslas and Porsches and I don't recall any windows broken

Five cars parked in a row along Dolores Park
Oh the entitlement mentality is very strong in San Francisco as well, it's just a whole other level in Oakland

Old 03-16-2017, 12:22 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,043,150 times
Quote:

I agree. San Francisco has high crime too but many people seem to be oblivious to it.

Old 03-16-2017, 12:44 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,677,908 times
Quote:

Agreed, SF has a terrible property crime rate and some pretty heinous crimes (tourist being murdered/shot for example) yet always seems to get a pass. It's been that way forever though, gotta prop up this phony image of SF.

Old 03-16-2017, 12:48 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,564,755 times
Downtown Oakland is very trendy these days, filled with artists, musicians, hipsters, techies etc. San Jose has a nice downtown too tho. DT SJ has lots of nice new apt/condo activity and corporate entities like Adobe. SAP center and the Tech Museum are also great assets. A top notch hotelike the Fairmont is also enviable.

One advantage to Downtown Oakland's greater population density is more vibrancy and it also helps that BART runs right underneath Broadway.

Chinatown, which is located in Downtown Oakland, is probably the most vibrant neighborhood in the Bay Area outside of SF.

Downtown Oakland also has a waterfront area that has offerings.

Lake Merritt is also an urban jewel that really is quite stunning.

I also think that Downtown Oakland is better connected to nearby vibrant/ trendy areas like Temescal, Grand Lake, Lakeshore, Piedmont Av.

If I recall correctly, DT SJ feels a little removed due to freeways and train tracks.

Old 03-16-2017, 05:55 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,929,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Downtown Oakland is very trendy these days, filled with artists, musicians, hipsters, techies etc. San Jose has a nice downtown too tho. DT SJ has lots of nice new apt/condo activity and corporate entities like Adobe. SAP center and the Tech Museum are also great assets. A top notch hotelike the Fairmont is also enviable.

One advantage to Downtown Oakland's greater population density is more vibrancy and it also helps that BART runs right underneath Broadway.

Chinatown, which is located in Downtown Oakland, is probably the most vibrant neighborhood in the Bay Area outside of SF.

Downtown Oakland also has a waterfront area that has offerings.

Lake Merritt is also an urban jewel that really is quite stunning.

I also think that Downtown Oakland is better connected to nearby vibrant/ trendy areas like Temescal, Grand Lake, Lakeshore, Piedmont Av.

If I recall correctly, DT SJ feels a little removed due to freeways and train tracks.
Oracle is also in downtown SJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland