Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 02:53 AM

406 posts, read 288,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
However, the odds of coming home with all your stuff is much higher in SJ
yet the odds would still be high for both cities, so much that its negligible. It's important to understand crime statistics before you use them.

How far reaching do you think your uniformed opinion of Oakland is?

Happiest Places To Live 2017

Last edited by the happy guy; 03-19-2017 at 03:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 10:20 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,185,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
eh... both kinda suck.

Oakland does get an edge on culture for sure, also an edge on getting killed depending on where you step.

San Jose is safer and also dreadfully bland. The only reason many people go there, myself included, is because we're paid to do so.
That's not true - the part about getting killed. SF downtown is a different story. Many more random people have been shot and killed in downtown SF than downtown Oak. Oakland is not random but targeted. One gang member towards another gang member and rarely in downtown (yes, I know of the recent shooting there). I understand you feel SF downtown is safer but the reality is it is not. You need to compare downtown SF to deep east Oakland and then you may have a valid point. Cheers!

Old 03-19-2017, 10:31 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
I doubt Bimmer has set foot in Oakland since 2013. Even still, his weird anti-Oakland narrative obsession is a little obsessive and unhealthy. It's like Oakland dumped him and he had to settle for Orlando, and now he comes on CDF to check up on her and hate read about how well she's doing.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:51 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
lol I'm not the first person to dislike Oakland or point out its crime problem. Do a search on Google if you don't believe. San Francisco and San Jose have quite nice downtowns, while Oakland has a downtown people have to think of reasons to talk about it positively such as naming a specific restaurant that opened up. While San Jose's downtown isn't too interesting, it is very clean and nice looking. San Francisco's downtown has a lot going on for itself to the point you don't need to constantly defend it by saying, well well XYZ just opemed a restaurant here so how can it be bad, lol.

Old 03-19-2017, 12:06 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
The biggest smile problem with Oakland's downtown is that some uninformed people think it represents the amount of vibrancy of greater Oakland. Downtown is currently on an upswing but there are many other parts of town that are vibrant, interesting and full of things today outside of downtown that have been that way for over 100 years.

Downtown Oakland isn't the only part of town with tasty restaurants, nightlife, shops and entertainment.

In the case of San Jose the only urban vibrancy is basically downtown and Willow Glen. Everything else is a collection of strip malls of various ages. Also downtown San Jose Was really sketchy up until about 2000.

Downtown Oakland has been fairly safe but deserted over the years. I never felt very scared in DTO during the dead years after dark, I just was looking for tumbleweeds. Not true in SF or downtown Berkeley where i didn't want to be out at night alone.

Old 03-19-2017, 01:13 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
lol I'm not the first person to dislike Oakland
Every city has people that dislike it, no?

Quote:
or point out its crime problem. Do a search on Google if you don't believe.
Right, Captain Obvious makes another appearance on CD. LOL.

Quote:
San Francisco and San Jose have quite nice downtowns, while Oakland has a downtown people have to think of reasons to talk about it positively
Really you mean we shouldnt talk about Downtown Oakland ina thread about Downtown Oakland? The nerve of us.

Quote:
While San Jose's downtown isn't too interesting, it is very clean and nice looking.
Actually downtown Oakland is rather interesting, is clean and has very nice looking areas like Lake Merritt and the waterfront.

Old 03-19-2017, 03:03 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,926,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
The biggest smile problem with Oakland's downtown is that some uninformed people think it represents the amount of vibrancy of greater Oakland. Downtown is currently on an upswing but there are many other parts of town that are vibrant, interesting and full of things today outside of downtown that have been that way for over 100 years.

Downtown Oakland isn't the only part of town with tasty restaurants, nightlife, shops and entertainment.

In the case of San Jose the only urban vibrancy is basically downtown and Willow Glen. Everything else is a collection of strip malls of various ages. Also downtown San Jose Was really sketchy up until about 2000.

Downtown Oakland has been fairly safe but deserted over the years. I never felt very scared in DTO during the dead years after dark, I just was looking for tumbleweeds. Not true in SF or downtown Berkeley where i didn't want to be out at night alone.
Actually, downtown SJ was sketchy until 1988 when redevelopment was completed for first phase. Downtown exploded during Dotcom boom in 1999.

Old 03-19-2017, 03:08 PM

I was responding to the personal attack for giving my impression of Downtown Oakland and stating the obvious that I am not the first person that doesn't think Downtown Oakland is special. No need for name calling or jumping to conclusions for something many people share the same views as me.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:25 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,185,879 times
Quote:
I was responding to the personal attack for giving my impression of Downtown Oakland and stating the obvious that I am not the first person that doesn't think Downtown Oakland is special. No need for name calling or jumping to conclusions for something many people share the same views as me.
You claim to have lived in SF and now claim to live in Orlando, FL. Is nothing going on in your life that you feel the need to let people know that you dislike Oakland, CA. Really? It must be really bad in Orlando if Oakland is still #1 in your mind. Move on with your life. You are not contributing or adding anything to this conversation. You must know that, yes. I feel bad for you. I hope your life gets a little more exciting for you. Have you no shame????

Old 03-19-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
You claim to have lived in SF and now claim to live in Orlando, FL. Is nothing going on in your life that you feel the need to let people know that you dislike Oakland, CA. Really? It must be really bad in Orlando if Oakland is still #1 in your mind. Move on with your life. You are not contributing or adding anything to this conversation. You must know that, yes. I feel bad for you. I hope your life gets a little more exciting for you. Have you no shame????
lol you can't tell me what to do with my life. I don't understand why stating a fact bothers Oakland pumpers so much, and if anything I was most vocal about Oakland when I was living in San Francisco. My dislike for Oakland has been public here for many years especially back in the day when docgoldstein was here. It's rather funny the level of defensiveness that goes on. You guys really need to relax, I am entitled to answer the OP's question as to which downtown I think is better. Your guy's anger and petty attacks on me shows a lot of insecurity, but then again you live in the city that even Dave Chapelle says you need to roll up your windows and lock your doors. Bring on more personal attacks haha it just shows that I'm speaking truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland