Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 10:19 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,929,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Same goes for DT Oakland...Uptown is packed on friday nights
Packed with over 50 bars/clubs downtown SJ!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 10:20 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,929,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post
An excellent reason to NOT go there.
Too much vitality for you?

Old 03-18-2017, 02:00 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,564,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
Packed with over 50 bars/clubs downtown SJ!
Great but Downtown Oakland is also full of people on weekend nights...congrats to us both

Old 03-18-2017, 05:27 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,986,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Great but Downtown Oakland is also full of people on weekend nights...congrats to us both
However, the odds of coming home with all your stuff is much higher in SJ

Old 03-18-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Haha and yet every weekend thousands of people proceed to enjoy themselves in Downtown Oakland anyway.

Heck, The NY Times even encourages people to risk their lives and visit
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...rnia.html?_r=0

How irresponsible of the NY Times.

lol

Wait I thought you were living your ideal life in Florida now?

Old 03-18-2017, 07:46 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,046,208 times
Quote:
It was a madhouse in Downtown SJ tonight. It was like a zoo. There were just so many people out and about to a point where you can't even walk on the sidewalk, and the streets were packed with cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post
An excellent reason to NOT go there.

Quote:
Too much vitality for you?
Well, let's see ... can't find parking, can't walk at MY pace, loud, getting bumped in to all the time. But then, I'm not a sheep who has to run to wherever somebody else is to see if maybe I might not be present where I can "be seen". My idea of a great night is a quiet dinner with a wonderful woman ending at my place, not "a zoo" or a "madhouse" "where you can't even walk on the sidewalk". That sounds like a pain in the arse.

Old 03-18-2017, 10:07 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
How weird, I was just in downtown Oakland yesterday and today. And my bike was even in tact. The only thing missing was the $$ I spent eating. / drinking.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:03 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,986,736 times
I said the odds are higher compared to San Jose. It's like saying the odds of getting robbed in Bayview/Hunters Point is higher than in the Marina District... that doesn't mean someone goes and has lunch in Bayview and comes out with no issues and says, "SEE NOTHING HAPPENED, BAYVIEW IS JSUT AS SAFE AS THE MARINA DISTRICT!!!"

lol, see how silly that sounds

Old 03-19-2017, 12:10 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,458,676 times
eh... both kinda suck.

Oakland does get an edge on culture for sure, also an edge on getting killed depending on where you step.

San Jose is safer and also dreadfully bland. The only reason many people go there, myself included, is because we're paid to do so.

Old 03-19-2017, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
How weird, I was just in downtown Oakland yesterday and today. And my bike was even in tact. The only thing missing was the $$ I spent eating. / drinking.
Yup, I just walked in from a great time in downtown tonight with friends from out-of-state who also had a great time.

I feel like he's asking for attention so it behooves me to say that bmw335xi seems to have confused himself into thinking that we're pretending that there is no crime problem which we readily acknowlege there is-but then everyone already knows that so its not a secret-Oakland has been synonymous with crime for 2 generations now so to point out crime is waving a smoking gun that shoots bubbles. #captainobvious

But what's bizarre is how steadfastly he refuses( Why? i dont know) to acknowlege that the vast majority of people here still enjoy the cultural, dining and nightlife options Downtown offers-there's a lot to see and do and eat and I apologize if that's upsetting to him, er, but alas it's true.

Anyhow,
What's most amazing is how little I leave town for dining and nightlife anymore. I rarely go to SF for eating and never for nightlife...dont need to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland