Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2018, 07:08 PM

35,083 posts, read 17,043,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion3510 View Post
Let's take a page from NYC and stop pretending that small crimes don't lead to larger ones.
NYC sure has turned around. Basically a worthy capital of the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion3510 View Post
In 1851 a vigilante posse formed to combat the lawlessness that plagued San Francisco after the Gold Rush. I say that history needs to repeat itself.
Not a bad idea. If the Mayor won't enforce law and order the people should.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2018, 09:13 AM

3,475 posts, read 5,268,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCROX View Post
THIS is what it's ALL about folks! Mohammed- what happened to 750 k per year? week? month? only YOU know?
Now the city has "earmarked" over 830 K NOT 750..
Well each of the team gets OVER 180 k per year!
If were about helping people- the "people" would be in facilities getting help.. EVERYONE knows that... instead they are out doing whatever.... what would happen if a homeowner in SF started doing what the city slave vagrants are doing when they need to go poo poo? Fines? jail? just letting their dog do it?
San Francisco's 'Poop Patrollers' cleaning up -- on the streets and at the bank | Fox News
Base salary is only 71k.. what are the additional 110k of 'benefits?' Not a super high paying job, not one most would want, and certainly dangerous to be in those neighborhoods and among those people. Glad they're finally doing something about it.

Old 08-26-2018, 10:02 AM

872 posts, read 596,357 times
They don't list the breakdown of additional pay/benefits I think you are on the right track- hazard pay!!

Old 08-27-2018, 09:12 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,022,010 times
San Francisco's 'Poop Patrollers' cleaning up -- on the streets and at the bank | Fox News San Francisco's 'Poop Patrollers' cleaning up -- on

\

Old 08-27-2018, 09:20 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,022,010 times
https://youtu.be/ld6qYJe4pRs

Old 08-28-2018, 12:54 AM

1,516 posts, read 1,249,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
Base salary is only 71k.. what are the additional 110k of 'benefits?' Not a super high paying job, not one most would want, and certainly dangerous to be in those neighborhoods and among those people. Glad they're finally doing something about it.
It might not be super high, but that's more than some of my colleagues make I'm sure. Hell, why go to college when you can make 71k+ spraying the sidewalks in a hazmat suit?

Old 08-28-2018, 08:22 AM

1,156 posts, read 987,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
It might not be super high, but that's more than some of my colleagues make I'm sure. Hell, why go to college when you can make 71k+ spraying the sidewalks in a hazmat suit?
No kidding. That’s more than some of the teachers make in SF. What a crime. And add up overtime pay and they’re likely topping six figures. Here’s an idea, hire six people off the streets and pay them $40k. But this is just typical spend, spend, spend and waste. Much like the Bart janitor sleeping in a storage closet getting paid over $200k. Once again, great job SF!

Old 08-28-2018, 08:26 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,982,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
In other words you just enjoy ridiculing others and situations without having any concrete ideas to share toward problem-solving, eh?
Throwing more money to clean up doesn't solve the problem either. It's just a band-aide, and goes nowhere towards addressing the issue.

Old 08-28-2018, 09:22 AM

21,741 posts, read 16,365,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Throwing more money to clean up doesn't solve the problem either. It's just a band-aide, and goes nowhere towards addressing the issue.
You are partly right: it doesn’t address the underlying causes of the problem.

Yet two other things are important to recognize in my response to the poster as you are referring to:

1. The poster was proposing that we literally kill the homeless by sending them out to sea and sinking the boat ... and thus my comment on his useless, empty ridicule being pointless

2. However the problem should be dealt with in terms of elimination of causes ... until those problems are addressed, the stench and filth and public health hazard needs to be dealt with - until better resolutions.

The streets can be cleaned relatively easily - right now.

The underlying problems are deeply complex and will take great socio-economic change - which will not / cannot happen quickly.

Old 08-28-2018, 09:38 AM

21,741 posts, read 16,365,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
Well, I agree “why go to college”? There are LOTS of jobs and opportunities to make that kind of money in any number of fields and ways that don’t require college. Any half decent plumber, electrician, etc. can make that salary. Lots of municipal, county, and state and federal tradesmen and women make that kind of money turning water valves at treatment plants, fixing road signs and barriers, potholes ...

That said, would you like to wear a hazmat suit to wash street poop? Some people don’t mind ... many would throw up in their hazmat mask. They have to do more than hold the hose, by the way. All that equipment has to be constantly cleaned and maintained. It doesn’t just go back to the city garage to head back out the next morning.

Fun little related anecdotal story for you: I know a guy who owns a little one-man septic tank cleaning and porti-potty business. He used to be - true story - a banker in S. California. Quit to buy the septic business. I remarked to him on what a big change that must have been. He replied: “ Nah, just a different kind of sh*t.” He says he makes better money and doesn’t mind the work a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland