Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2018, 01:28 AM

1,203 posts, read 835,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSmow View Post
Yawn. You can find plenty of sensationalized crap if you look hard enough on the internet.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...s-10834667.php

I can't recall in the 50+ years I lived in the Bay Area ever having a bed bug either, but wait...it's on the internet

And look Ma, it's the Ft Hood Sentinel and a site called Hunker....ooh boy. Desperate? Like I said, I'm not too concerned about your hyperbole. I'll believe my own eyes. I'm done with your nonsense now.
What would newspapers and websites do without people that frantically seek out sensationalized nonsense? They need to get paid by their sponsors so they rely on people to click on click bait like this. Hunker...LOL! I also make an effort to get all my news from the Ft Hood Sentinel. No one reports the news like them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2018, 09:22 AM

3,469 posts, read 5,262,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
The only part of Ca I still like is the middle. Santa Barbara, SLO, Paseo, All the rest is crap or overrated. San Diego isn't even that great anymore. It's turning into a mini LA to me.
I'm a Bay Area transplant to San Diego and still love it, although I fear we are getting past our sweet spot of congestion and development. Traffic has increased considerably, on the one hand, but infrastructure such as performing arts or the food scene have vastly improved over the last 10 years, on the other hand. If things stayed exactly as they are right now, it would be perfect. Of course, there is still tons of construction going on, and we will continue to grow and deal with the pros and cons of that.

My husband and I actually see San Diego more as a mini Bay Area than a mini LA. San Diego lacks LA's superficiality or its artsiness, and San Diegans generally dislike LA for its Hollywood culture. It's very down-to-earth here. And ever since the Chargers left town, I see way more Raiders fans than anything else anymore. Plus, San Diego is also a city by the Bay. It's little things like that that that make you fee like you're in the Bay area of ten years ago, when it had its sweet spot and hadn't totally gentrified out of control yet.

Nevertheless, I was just in the Bay area for a few days over the Christmas holiday, spending most of the time in Walnut Creek visiting family, and felt that things were the nicest there that they had ever been. Lots to see and do, gorgeous scenery as always, quiet, and super clean. Even the outskirts of the suburbs have great new shopping centers with attractive architecture, landscaping, lots of pedestrian traffic, and lots of outdoor cafes, restaurants, and breweries. At roughly $500 a square foot for a lot of suburban housing, that may be one of the last parts of the Bay Area that's worth the cost of living. However, downtown condos or mid century Eichlers are touching San Francisco prices and are totally not worth the money.

Old 12-27-2018, 10:12 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,567,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
I'm a Bay Area transplant to San Diego and still love it, although I fear we are getting past our sweet spot of congestion and development. Traffic has increased considerably, on the one hand, but infrastructure such as performing arts or the food scene have vastly improved over the last 10 years, on the other hand. If things stayed exactly as they are right now, it would be perfect. Of course, there is still tons of construction going on, and we will continue to grow and deal with the pros and cons of that.

My husband and I actually see San Diego more as a mini Bay Area than a mini LA. San Diego lacks LA's superficiality or its artsiness, and San Diegans generally dislike LA for its Hollywood culture. It's very down-to-earth here. And ever since the Chargers left town, I see way more Raiders fans than anything else anymore. Plus, San Diego is also a city by the Bay. It's little things like that that that make you fee like you're in the Bay area of ten years ago, when it had its sweet spot and hadn't totally gentrified out of control yet.

Nevertheless, I was just in the Bay area for a few days over the Christmas holiday, spending most of the time in Walnut Creek visiting family, and felt that things were the nicest there that they had ever been. Lots to see and do, gorgeous scenery as always, quiet, and super clean. Even the outskirts of the suburbs have great new shopping centers with attractive architecture, landscaping, lots of pedestrian traffic, and lots of outdoor cafes, restaurants, and breweries. At roughly $500 a square foot for a lot of suburban housing, that may be one of the last parts of the Bay Area that's worth the cost of living. However, downtown condos or mid century Eichlers are touching San Francisco prices and are totally not worth the money.
Do you think a fair amount of people from la might move to San Diego and thus change it? You hear about people in Boise Idaho complain about Californians moving in and changing the city .
I agree with Walnut Creek. Always a favorite short trip from Pleasanton when I lived there. Did you see downtown Danville too, it’s very nice although much smaller.

Old 12-27-2018, 01:18 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,962,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
I disagree adamantly. I've lived in different places and am pretty widely travelled and in my opinion the weather here in the San Jose area is as ideal as you can get. The only complaint I have is that it would be nice to see a little bit of rain during the summer months.
Rainless summers are THE one downside of California weather. Also, diablo winds/Santa Ana winds (these probably are rare by the coast but down in San Bernardino/Riverside they are very bad and very strong.)

Old 12-27-2018, 03:08 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,779,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSmow View Post
Yawn. You can find plenty of sensationalized crap if you look hard enough on the internet.
What's sensationalist about it? The articles I provided are reasonable newspapers/magazines. Furthermore I lived in Austin. I and everyone else who lived there dealt with cockroaches all the time.
https://www.texasmonthly.com/article...espicable-bug/

Direct quotes from the above article:
Texas has more cockroaches than any other state
Austin has gained a wide reputation as capital of cockroaches
cockroaches can run, hop, skip, jump, swim, climb, fly

Go on the Austin forum, ask there, and I'm sure plenty plenty of residents of Austin will confirm this for you.

Old 12-27-2018, 03:10 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,779,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Also, diablo winds/Santa Ana winds (these probably are rare by the coast but down in San Bernardino/Riverside they are very bad and very strong.)
We don't get those kind of winds up here. We do get fog sometimes, but not as consistent or thick as SF does.

Old 12-27-2018, 04:57 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
It's a lie about mosquitoes. I have the bites to prove it during those warm nights in Sep/Oct when I try to sleep with the windows open.

Old 12-27-2018, 05:33 PM

San Francisco is making front page news on CNN, it's actually their featured headliner article... so much for the people here who say this isn't a problem or any different from the rest of the country.

The toll of drug use on San Francisco Streets

"As of October 2018, over 7,500 complaints about discarded needles have been made, compared to just 132 a decade ago." -CNN

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/27/healt...ets/index.html

Attached Thumbnails
Is the SF Bay Area overrated?-cnn.jpg  

Old 12-27-2018, 05:41 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,784,958 times
SF is like NYC ,Paris or London a financial center and a place were the very wealthy live to have access to world class restaurants,museums symphony and operas. The real estate in these cities is fairly recession proof.
Places like cow hollow and presidio heights have homes for $8-11million
Noe valley 3- 5 million
Making $400 thousand a year and a net worth of $3-5 million gets you an upper middle class lifestyle.

I don't understand comparing SF to Sacramento,Austin and Atlanta
The question should be how does SF compare to other financial centers?

Old 12-27-2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
The question should be how does SF compare to other financial centers?

The question is if San Francisco is over-rated or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland