Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 12:58 AM

700 posts, read 2,596,553 times

Advertisements

Sam has a pretty smart Mom....

I agree, and honestly for me personally, If I have a hand full of close friends...I mean close, then I feel fortunate. I live in Tokyo now, and let me tell you about learning a new way to make friends....give and take.

Old 08-11-2007, 01:24 AM

77 posts, read 340,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5chevin5 View Post
Well I was shooting for a #7...please tell me what I can do to improve my score??? But I will take the #5 and.......Huh????
Please if you have a fun scoring system...tell me where I can read the rules, so I can play along too!!
Oh yeah, I should let people in on the game:
//www.city-data.com/forum/seatt...cks-com-8.html

Basically, I've compiled the top 10 responses to Seattle criticism that I hear add nauseum from pretty much everyone who defends Seattle from crticism.

It's somewhere in that thread, anyway. I'm not scoring, just referencing things that I've already heard.

I'd welcome (and could probably compose) the top 10 Seattle complaint department list as well. In any case, they both showcase the downsides of what, to some, is a cool city -- but, to others, is a trip to purgatory.

Old 08-11-2007, 02:39 AM

700 posts, read 2,596,553 times
Well I would have to agree with the naseum part, except possibly the yang to your yin reason.

I also, hear over and over again about grown ups cant make friends in a city...and it must be the cities fault. I mean c'mon are we gonna play on the jungle gym too?? More then likely they are giving off some kinda.."vibe"..maybe? I mean to live somewhere and not make friends??? Then blame everyone but yourself?

Give me solid reasons that you dont like Seattle...
Traffic, Weather, Job, Housing. Those are all facts I cant argue...undeniable and may apply to many other people that are on these boards. But if you get on the board and say that "seattle sucks because nobody likes me, and its their fault because they are passive..wah wah wah" I hope someone besides me can see that this statement is very subjective.

Geo...I agree with you completely that this can go back and fourth to no end...and in the end, it really is just a matter of opinion. I happen to like Seattle, I like the weather and I like that people are a bit "to themselves"...That howdy neighbor thing would drive me crazy!! But, Im also very social with things that interest me, and seek out like minded people.
I never expect that people I work with will be those close close friends, I mean its great if they are, but really all we have in common is that we work together.

I have lived in many, many places....some I have liked for more reasons then others. Every downside has an upside to someone...if not we would all be in one very crowded paradise...and surely we would find something to complain about then.

"Im good enough, smart enough and darn it people like me" -Stuart Smalley

Old 08-12-2007, 09:55 AM

11 posts, read 49,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatTofu View Post
A dry 120 degrees is better than a wet 100 degrees. I have lived in AZ for two years, and have spent 6 months in Seattle. This winter, I will try to fight the poor weather here. If I fail, I will move back to AZ or CA.
Lived in LA for 15 years - 100 + degrees with humidity
Lived in PHX for 6 years - 124 degrees (hottest day I felt), dry
Lived in NYC for 3 years - 100 degrees + 100% humidity.. now thats humid
Lived in Seattle / Portland - hottest day ever 102 (Portland), 40% humidity

When its hot in SEA / PDX, it is not as humid as people think.. not like LA or Florida, but definitely not as dry as Phoenix.

And if I had a choice, I would choose SEA at 100 degrees which is rare, even at 100% humidity over Phoenix at 124 with 10% humidity. You feel like you opened up an oven and stuck your entire body in there to roast for 3.5 months. Besides, you sit in your house or a mall when it is 120 (for 3 months). In Seattle, on the one or 2 days it is 90+, you sit in your house and look at a nice view of the water, or actually get out to the water, or wherever... and then, 2 days later, its 75 again.

Doesn't even compare.

Old 08-12-2007, 07:27 PM

307 posts, read 1,421,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
It is almost hillarious how people gripe about Seattle weather. BCKettles, people don't come and visit you out here?

...'and there is LIFE other than working all the time simply to make your payment on an impossible mortgage, unlike here in Washington.' This could pertain to any major NA city.

Remember this is the pacific northwest. We don't want 90's and 100's. We barely want 80's. We don't mind turning on the heat in July and August. Who cares. We don't want a/c. We don't like oppressive heat and humidity. We like windows open in our homes with nice breezes coming through. We don't like blizzards, sleet and dull lifeless winter landscapes. We don't like flying roaches, cicadas or fire ants. I met and became friends with so many wonderful people, locals or otherwise who DO love it here. This passive aggressive stuff sounds so crazy. Passive agressive people are found in every city in America. People here might drive a little slower than most, but at least my car insurance is lower here than anywhere I ever lived, and I lived in a lot of cities. Seattle is not a perfect city but it is my home now and I do love living here. If you are unhappy here the best thing for you to do is to go somewhere else to find your happiness. If I were as unhappy as a lot of people I met on this forum I would make it my no. 1 priority to get out.
That's all.
Glad to hear some positive things from someone living in WA. I guess I'm just not "getting" why there is so much negativity towards Seattle and WA in general. People talk about how great LA is, but I don't really understand why. Maybe b/c I've lived here my whole life and take things for granted that visitors find fantastic. Is that why Seattle natives bash their City? Are they taking the good for granted?

Old 08-12-2007, 08:43 PM

77 posts, read 340,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ness View Post
Glad to hear some positive things from someone living in WA. I guess I'm just not "getting" why there is so much negativity towards Seattle and WA in general. People talk about how great LA is, but I don't really understand why. Maybe b/c I've lived here my whole life and take things for granted that visitors find fantastic. Is that why Seattle natives bash their City? Are they taking the good for granted?
It's not usually the natives bashing the place (I think the natives who do not like it here tend to move). It's mostly people who moved here from other areas and then were disappointed that (in their opinions, of course) Seattle was worse, not better as they expected, than the places they left.

It's a disappointment factor exacerbated by the fact that (as mentioned and demonstrated all over these threads) many people in Seattle do not take criticism of the city (or WA state) very well -- and usually pull one of 10 pat responses out of a hat.

Old 08-12-2007, 10:09 PM

633 posts, read 2,541,818 times
My family and I are planning on moving to Seattle this year. We have visited the area many times, in all seasons, and love it.

But what I tend to wonder as I read several of the threads on this forum and Washington's is why people who have left Seattle for other areas and are happy in those areas, feel the need to come back here and post how bad Seattle is? If they are happy where they are, great, wonderful, have fun....why the need to come back to this forum, why not visit the forum of the area they moved to and post about how great their place is and help those that are trying to possibly relocate there?

I realize there are positive and negatives about everywhere, but why not try to accentuate the positives and help those that are trying to relocate?

Old 08-12-2007, 11:46 PM

255 posts, read 821,643 times
Default As the GEICO cavemen say, "uh...what??"

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawksweetie View Post
But what I tend to wonder as I read several of the threads on this forum and Washington's is why people who have left Seattle for other areas and are happy in those areas, feel the need to come back here and post how bad Seattle is? If they are happy where they are, great, wonderful, have fun....why the need to come back to this forum, why not visit the forum of the area they moved to and post about how great their place is and help those that are trying to possibly relocate there?

I realize there are positive and negatives about everywhere, but why not try to accentuate the positives and help those that are trying to relocate?
Whoa...let's go back to what this post was originally about -- it was about Charles' dissatisfaction about the area, and his plans to relocate. This thread is not about only soliciting comments from those who want to wax rhapsodic about Seattle's attributes so that those who don't want to hear about the negatives can move here without the opportunity to view the 'complete picture'. If you want to read about all the wonderful things about Seattle, read the city's marketing material or read the posts with titles like "how do I love Seattle? Let me count the ways". If you have visited the area and feel that you have enough information to make an informed decision about relocating, more power to you.

I find it interesting that the "Seattle defensiveness" that has been referred to in other posts (including geometricdisaster's) has raised its ugly head here...don't say anything that might be perceived as negative about Seattle, "if you don't like it, get out"...others may not agree with what I have to say, but I have the right to say it, and I'm really not all that concerned that others may not like it. I find it ironic that people who either live in or wish to live in an area that prides itself on acceptance and liberalism are so intolerant of unpopular viewpoints.

I appreciate the posts from those who want to share what they enjoy about the Seattle and how it compares to other areas they've visited or lived in. This is useful information when considering a move. I also appreciate the posts from those who haven't found Seattle to be what they had hoped for, or who feel that it has changed for the worse, because if I was contemplating a move here, I'd want to know about the good and the bad. Maybe you don't, and that's your right. You don't have to agree with what the "bashers" have posted, but the information they have chosen to share still has value with regard to making an informed relocation decision. The downsides to living in the Seattle area mentioned by many posters are real, and they may affect you.

The fundamental problem seems to be that this thread isn't about helping others relocate to Seattle, at least in the sense that you imply. You may find more helpful and/or appealing information in other posts in this forum that focus on the positives of the Seattle area or are specifically geared to relocation issues.

Old 08-13-2007, 02:41 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,246,328 times
The funny thing is I'm so glad I new nothing about this website before I made my move to Seattle. We all know Seattle is not the perfect city. What city is? Would it have been informative or vital information to determine my move to read that SOME people stay in 9 months out of the year because its too cloudy, too ugly or too cold. Or they can't make friends, or people out here are weird or too liberal or they drive too slow or walk too slow. Hmm what else have I read. You won't make it here making under $100,000. You can't buy a condo in Seattle for under $400k. Traffic is a mess from 5am -9pm. I just chuckle. But again if you are so unhappy please, by all means go to Phoenix. Life is too short to stay unhappy.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:20 AM

559 posts, read 2,116,232 times
Default Hm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
The funny thing is I'm so glad I new nothing about this website before I made my move to Seattle. We all know Seattle is not the perfect city. What city is? Would it have been informative or vital information to determine my move to read that SOME people stay in 9 months out of the year because its too cloudy, too ugly or too cold. Or they can't make friends, or people out here are weird or too liberal or they drive too slow or walk too slow. Hmm what else have I read. You won't make it here making under $100,000. You can't buy a condo in Seattle for under $400k. Traffic is a mess from 5am -9pm. I just chuckle. But again if you are so unhappy please, by all means go to Phoenix. Life is too short to stay unhappy.
How nice that you can chuckle about things like this.

Some of us don't have the option to move right now for one reason or another; I happen to love my husband, and until he is ready to move (his father is 90 and lives here), I must endure it up here. I am happy that you are so happy, but I think you miss the point. Some of us do not care for the weather up here, some of us do not make the money required to live the way we wish to live up here (and could live in other places), and some of us have difficulty acclimating to the difference in people/life up here. Things like this do make a difference to a lot of people, and we are all simply giving our experiences so others can make an informed decision.

Your post is not very respectful of those of us who care enough about other people to want to help them avoid the mistakes or problems we currently have, though perhaps Washington will be perfect for them. Either way, we are simply voicing the things we have experienced; this is very difficult for a lot of us to do. Everyone who posts their experiences on this board, whether positive or negative, should be thanked for their willingness to participate...period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area