Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2013, 10:12 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,126,828 times

Advertisements

It's very sunny here despite the forecast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 02:44 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,253,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
It's very sunny here despite the forecast.
Sounds like you got my sun today. lol

It's been cloudy and cool here all day.

Old 11-09-2013, 04:21 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Looking at forecast up and down the west coast, things just seem rather strange for November in my opinion. While it helps to look at the broader picture to understand things, I won't even talk about SoCal as nothing is happening for this area right now.

There is a low off the coast of WA and OR that's expected to drop south before moving eastward. Rain significant rain was forecast for the Bay Area but that has now been greatly reduced to a chance of light rain. What this means is, there is a larger overall condition effecting west coast rainfall. In November, a low sitting of the NW coast should have moved eastward. This is usually the beginning of prolonged rainy periods for Seattle but not only is it not raining like it should be, there even seems to be some fog hanging around the sound, a sign of more stable air. the jet stream seems to be favoring British Columbia right now.

So far we've had typical La Nina pattern, A couple of lows coming from due north and dropping down the interior of the west coast states. This bring cold air down with it and some rain to the PNW and SoCal but a sprinkle or none to Northern California. Hopefully, we will get a break in this cycle and get the storm door more open. Some may dislike rain but water rationing is less fun.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Sounds like you got my sun today. lol

It's been cloudy and cool here all day.
that's over now. It's raining.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:22 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,551,984 times
Either I really did bring good weather to the PNW (let's forget about September lol) or this is a remarkably pleasant year. I've been bracing for the notorious endless days of rainy and dreary weather but it hasn't seemed to arrive yet. Yes, I'm looking forward to seeing what it is really like. I researched the heck out of the weather before we moved up here. I looked at area webcams several times throughout the day (most days) for probably 3 years. However, nothing can substitute for actually experiencing it. So here I sit ready to experience it and we're having a great year up to now.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:24 PM

I agree. The weather this whole year has been really nice. We had real spring with many sunny and warm days and many nice days in fall. The summer was good too.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
I agree. The weather this whole year has been really nice. We had real spring with many sunny and warm days and many nice days in fall. The summer was good too.
I've seen the sun for at least parts of the day most every day. Nearly every time I go outside it's not raining, and if it is raining it's this minuscule drizzle. It seems as if every good rain with real raindrops has been overnight. I think I get better weather where I am though. Even though I'm only 3 miles West of the mainland as the crow flies, I typically see a lot of cloud cover over the mainland even though I might have blue skies above me.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:02 PM

36 posts, read 52,508 times
Cool Nice November so far...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
I've seen the sun for at least parts of the day most every day. Nearly every time I go outside it's not raining, and if it is raining it's this minuscule drizzle. It seems as if every good rain with real raindrops has been overnight. I think I get better weather where I am though. Even though I'm only 3 miles West of the mainland as the crow flies, I typically see a lot of cloud cover over the mainland even though I might have blue skies above me.

Depending where you are on Whidbey Island, you might be in some element of the Olympic Rain Shadow: What Is The Olympic Rain Shadow? | F.A.Q. | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News. Or it could just be luck of the draw. I live on Bainbridge Island but work in Kingston, and on any random day they can have completely different weather patterns. Bainbridge Island seems sunnier to me while Kingston seems cloudier foggier and windier. I learned about the Convergence Zone, which seems to make sense based on what I've seen. Apparently Kingston gets more days with drizzle while Bainbridge gets more sunny days but harder rain when it falls. I think the Hansville area also gets more of a marine breeze than the rest of Kitsap.

I've noticed that this November has been pretty nice by Seattle standards. It has the potential to be windy and stormy, but so far has been pretty mild with frequent sunbreaks. Not too bad if you ask me.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorefreespirit View Post
Depending where you are on Whidbey Island, you might be in some element of the Olympic Rain Shadow: What Is The Olympic Rain Shadow? | F.A.Q. | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News. Or it could just be luck of the draw. I live on Bainbridge Island but work in Kingston, and on any random day they can have completely different weather patterns. Bainbridge Island seems sunnier to me while Kingston seems cloudier foggier and windier. I learned about the Convergence Zone, which seems to make sense based on what I've seen. Apparently Kingston gets more days with drizzle while Bainbridge gets more sunny days but harder rain when it falls. I think the Hansville area also gets more of a marine breeze than the rest of Kitsap.

I've noticed that this November has been pretty nice by Seattle standards. It has the potential to be windy and stormy, but so far has been pretty mild with frequent sunbreaks. Not too bad if you ask me.
I'm not in the strong part of the rain shadow. I'm on the south end and only a few miles straight distance to the mainland. That said, I would seem to have better weather than the mainland thus far. I see quite a bit of sun here. This morning was cloudy and drizzly but by 1PM there was blue sky above my house. It lasted till evening. Should be blowing hard tomorrow though.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
THIS!

I spent a little over 5 years there, and no one I knew or was related to or me ever ever ever was on the Puget Sound or Lake Washington/ South Lake Union etc. Nobody.

I did a short stint at Microsoft, and then was at another large company - no body I ever ran into was on the water! I went to Seattle U! Nobody was on the water!

I know it looks like it's all outdoorsy and water focused there. But to me, maybe because where I came from - it wasn't. I had to buy Argosy tickets just to get to experience the water and get my family or friends to attend!

Here...where I'm at now - every other house has a big boat in the driveway, jet skiis everywhere, we walk down to the River weekly and it's a part of people's lives. I'm loving it. Been fishing and boating and camping more in the year I've been back then the 5 years up there. (This is not a "I'm better than you thing" I'm just trying to elaborate how much I didn't get to experience the water in Seattle)
I have a mental note of things I've heard here in the past that I suspected were just a total crock. This is one of them. Although CityGirl72 hasn't been on C/D for some time now, I wouldn't want anyone to read her post and get the idea that people aren't on the water in their boats here. I have a front row seat to the Puget Sound each and every day. There is a boating community next to my neighborhood. There are lots of boats on the water. I'm actually a little surprised at how many I still see at this time of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area