Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 10:28 AM

338 posts, read 848,091 times

Advertisements

We've been here a little over a year now and experienced no "freeze" what-so-ever. In the first few months we were here, we made quite a few new friends--but we're geeky. Maybe because we fit in with a lot of the geeky people of Seattle. *shrug*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 07:18 PM

172 posts, read 297,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 206traveler View Post
I can't believe so many people like it.
Oh dear, lack of imagination perhaps?

Old 05-02-2014, 11:49 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,436,348 times
I think there is a HUGE amount of pressure for people to "fit in" and conform in this place. And, thus, you will rarely hear people speak badly of it with the concern that they might not appear "cool". Ive honestly never experienced living in a place where people were SO much alike and obsessed with "fitting in" and being "hip" and conformity. Actually, now that I think about it, its like living in a giant middle school. Its a weird vibe that I think can start to drain people/ suck them of their individuality and even mistrust one another. I think a lot of this antisocial crap here stems from the fact that there is no real point to get to know other people if you have every single person around you figured out already because you are essentially the EXACT same person as them or at least aspiring to fit in the EXACT same way. You don't see it as much outside of Seattle, but within the city it is almost like Zombieland. Maybe I'm totally off base, but this is the vibe I get living in the heart of it all.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:14 AM

854 posts, read 1,141,309 times
Do you believe it's magic and I hope you do.

Seattle: what he really said

Old 05-03-2014, 07:10 PM

40 posts, read 142,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
I think there is a HUGE amount of pressure for people to "fit in" and conform in this place. And, thus, you will rarely hear people speak badly of it with the concern that they might not appear "cool". Ive honestly never experienced living in a place where people were SO much alike and obsessed with "fitting in" and being "hip" and conformity. Actually, now that I think about it, its like living in a giant middle school. Its a weird vibe that I think can start to drain people/ suck them of their individuality and even mistrust one another. I think a lot of this antisocial crap here stems from the fact that there is no real point to get to know other people if you have every single person around you figured out already because you are essentially the EXACT same person as them or at least aspiring to fit in the EXACT same way. You don't see it as much outside of Seattle, but within the city it is almost like Zombieland. Maybe I'm totally off base, but this is the vibe I get living in the heart of it all.
That's exactly right. Ever since I got to experience more of the US, via a promotional tour I did last summer, I've come to realize that Seattle has no soul. Everyone is just trying to go for this "Seattle image", that honestly didn't even exist before people started moving here in droves. Now everyone is just an REI-clad, craft beer drinking, organic food-centric, Caucasian, liberal "individual". Yeah right, individual my ass... Anyway, that's what I loved about NYC and other spots in the US, is the much broader range of cultures and personalities, which seem to make the environment feel so much more vibrant and alive. Plus it's not raining 24/7 like it is here...

Old 05-04-2014, 02:47 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,529,541 times
True, it's not very diverse here. I felt like an oddball where I grew up, but here in Seattle I'm surrounded by people who value the same things as myself. Living here is so easy because I naturally fit. I miss the diversity on the East Coast, it was definitely more interesting, but day to day living here is quite comfortable. Maybe a lot of us in Seattle are cultural refugees from other parts of the US? Like attracts like.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:49 PM

335 posts, read 407,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlefun View Post
It's all a matter of perspective isn't it? For instance I live in Laguna Beach, CA. Personally I hate it here. I can't wait to leave this small minded town and move to Seattle. The locals here say "how can you hate it... it has everything you need". To them it does. To me it doesn't! So I'm excited to move to Seattle where Seattle has what I need. Maybe the OP has exhausted his Seattle needs. Sometimes it just time to move on. He has the right to his own opinion as we all do. But I totally get where he is coming from if I relate it to where I'm currently living.

The only thing I can say to OP is.... Life is short! Make a move at whatever cost. I have a husband and three kids and will be moving to Seattle with No Career and starting from scratch. But, that is because having a better life is so much more important to me than being stuck in a place where I'm not happy.
Laguna..wow that's so pretty are you sure?

Old 05-05-2014, 02:54 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,888,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
True, it's not very diverse here. I felt like an oddball where I grew up, but here in Seattle I'm surrounded by people who value the same things as myself. Living here is so easy because I naturally fit. I miss the diversity on the East Coast, it was definitely more interesting, but day to day living here is quite comfortable. Maybe a lot of us in Seattle are cultural refugees from other parts of the US? Like attracts like.
Yeah, who would want to be around thoughtful, intelligent, reasonable people?

Old 05-05-2014, 06:04 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,597,040 times
Quote:
I'm born and raised here. I graduated college 1.5 years ago and wanted to get out, so I packed up and moved to NYC. I couldn't find a job there and ran low on savings so I'm back. Jesus, why don't you just ask me the question instead of making it a mind-boggling puzzle.
You shoulda stayed in NY and just found a job doing whatever to scrape by for the time being. I think you already know that now though.

Good news is that you're young (I assume) if you just recently graduated from college. Maybe you can get some experience in your field for a year or two and make the best of it in Seattle. If you really want to go back to New York you will. I did.

I grew up in Seattle too...actually Renton and Kent but then moved down to Portland for college and spent pretty much all of my 20's there. Recently again, as an adult I did live in Seattle proper (SLU/LQA - prime spot in other words). I wanted to see what living in the city proper was like. I grew to appreciate it as I explored and experienced more, but for the first few months it struck me as a little bland. A little vanilla. Lacking an original character compared to Portland or certainly New York. Nice, but lacking an interesting edge, unless you count spectacular natural scenery and goddawful traffic, which it has both of. It's a good career place though. The job market is strong. Take advantage of that.

Last edited by UrbanAdventurer; 05-05-2014 at 06:24 AM..

Old 05-05-2014, 10:14 AM

73 posts, read 165,246 times
Quote:
That's exactly right. Ever since I got to experience more of the US, via a promotional tour I did last summer, I've come to realize that Seattle has no soul. Everyone is just trying to go for this "Seattle image", that honestly didn't even exist before people started moving here in droves. Now everyone is just an REI-clad, craft beer drinking, organic food-centric, Caucasian, liberal "individual". Yeah right, individual my ass...
I'm sure there is a seattle "type," and I can see not fitting in if you are not liberal, but how is eating organic food "conforming" or unique to Seattle? Doesn't almost everyone try to eat organic all over the country (if they can afford it), given the GMOs and all the other toxic junk in our food supply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area